Residents' Influence on the Adoption of Environmental Norms in Tourism
AbstractSince the expansion of environmental awareness and protection in recent decades, market actors, tourists and stake-holders, have been progressively more aware of ecological issues and conscious of existing pollution caused by mass tourism. Therefore, a new concept of sustainable tourism have appeared, ncluding environmental and societal concerns, as well as the development of more responsible products, which meet environmentally conscious consumers' needs. Subsequently, this paper considers the case of a tourism service provider, in a situation of monopoly, facing heterogeneous demand (differentiated by the sensibility to environmental issues) and located in a destination inhabited by a population of residents, more or less active in their resistance to tourism activities. Hence, this paper gives a theoretical framework of this 'service provider - residents - tourists' interaction. It shows that taking into account residents' actions leads the service provider to the reduction of his offer, and in most cases, to choose the sustainable solution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Economie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis in its series GREDEG Working Papers with number 2013-17.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: May 2013
Date of revision:
Economics of Tourism; product heterogeneity; demand heterogeneity; sustainable tourism; residents-tourists relationship; resident actions; environmental norms;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
- Q56 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environment and Development; Environment and Trade; Sustainability; Environmental Accounts and Accounting; Environmental Equity; Population Growth
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-07-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2013-07-15 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-TUR-2013-07-15 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Denis Claude & Georges Zaccour, 2009. "Investment in Tourism Market and Reputation," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 11(5), pages 797-817, October.
- Accinelli, Elvio & Brida, Juan Gabriel & Carrera, Edgar & Pereyra, Juan, 2007. "The Effects On Environmental Investment Of Changes In Tourism Demand," MPRA Paper 6372, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Elvio Accinelli & Juan G. Brida & Edgar Carrera, 2008. "A Good Policy of Sustainable Tourism," Revista de Administración, Finanzas y Economía (Journal of Management, Finance and Economics), Tecnológico de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de México, vol. 2(2), pages 150-161.
- Malgorzata Ogonowska & Dominique Torre, 2012. "Sustainable Tourism and the emergence of new Environmental Norms," Post-Print halshs-00726127, HAL.
- Cracolici, M.F. & Cuffaro, M. & Nijkamp, P., 2009.
"Tourism sustainability and economic efficiency - a statistical analysis of italian provinces,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0023, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Cracolici, M.F. & Cuffaro, M. & Nijkamp, P., 2009. "Tourism sustainability and economic efficiency - a statistical analysis of italian provinces," Serie Research Memoranda 0023, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patrice Bougette).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.