Growth and Pattern of Intra-Industry Trade in Manufactures in Inida's Overall Trade:A Quantitative Analysis
AbstractThis paper analyses empirical evidences of growing volume of Intra-industry trade in India during 1975-1992. Quantitative evidences show that trade in manufactured products has increased with rapid industrialisation leading to genesis of intra-industry trade. Measures of Grubel-Lloyd Intra-industry trade indexes for India’s trade with the world, the Asian economies and the developed countries are calculated. It shows that India’s intra-industry trade is more with the developed countries than with the developing countries. Also, we observe that burgeoning volume of intra-industry trade is positively associated with (i) per capita GNP; (ii) trade openness; (iii) share of manufacturing exports in total exports.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 37919.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision: 2005
Publication status: Published in Indian Journal of Economics and Business 1.4(2005): pp. 161-184
Intra-industry trade; India's trade pattern; Manufactures trade; trade openness; development; Grubel-Lloyd index;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lancaster, Kelvin, 1991. "The 'product variety' case for protection," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 1-26, August.
- Balassa, Bela, 1986. "Intra-Industry specialization : A cross-country analysis," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 27-42, February.
- Pomfret, Richard, 1985. "Categorical Aggregation and International Trade: A Comment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(378), pages 483-85, June.
- Lundberg, Lars, 1988. "The role of comparative costs for determining inter- and intra-industry trade with developing countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1699-1710, November.
- Havrylyshyn, Oli, 1985. "The direction of developing country trade : Empirical evidence of differences between South-South and South-North trade," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 255-281, December.
- Steven Globerman & James Dean, 1990. "Recent trends in intra-industry trade and their implications for future trade liberalization," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 126(1), pages 25-49, March.
- Greenaway, David & Milner, Chris R, 1983. "On the Measurement of Intra-Industry Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 900-908, December.
- Havrylyshyn, Oli & Civan, Engin, 1985. "Intra-industry trade among developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 253-271, August.
- Ethier, Wilfred, 1979. "Internationally decreasing costs and world trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-24, February.
- Ocampo, JoseAntonio, 1986. "New developments in trade theory and LDCs," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 129-170, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.