Intra-industry Trade in Agricultural Products on intra-EC level: The Impact of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) Funds
AbstractThis paper aims at specifying the main determinants of the intra-industry trade in agricultural products, associated with the funds of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) of the EC, and more precisely, with its â€œprice support mechanismâ€ and its â€œstructural reform policy.â€ It presents CAPâ€™s reformed main tools and mechanisms, and explains the choice of selected variables as determinants of intra-industry trade in agricultural products at intra-EC trade. The econometric analysis covers the period 1973-2005, following recent developments in time-series analysis employing the ARDL approach to cointegration. The empirical results provide evidence of Granger causal effects in both on short-run and long-run horizon running from CAPâ€™s above mentioned policy tools to intra-industry trade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Greek Association of Agricultural Economists in its journal Agricultural Economics Review.
Volume (Year): 11 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Common Agricultural Policy (CAP); Economic integration; intraindustry trade; Agribusiness; Agricultural and Food Policy; Q17; F15; C32;
Other versions of this item:
- Katrakilidis, K. & Mardas, D., 2010. "Intra-industry Trade in Agricultural Products on intra-EC level: The Impact of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) Funds," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 11(2), June.
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1987. "Product Differentiation and Industrial Structure," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(2), pages 131-46, December.
- Greenaway, David & Milner, Chris, 1984. "A cross section analysis of intra-industry trade in the U.K," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 319-344, August.
- Robert W. Ackrill, 2003. "EU Enlargement, the CAP and the Cost of Direct Payments: A Note," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 73-78.
- Roberto Esposti, 2007. "Regional Growth and Policies in the European Union: Does the Common Agricultural Policy Have a Counter-Treatment Effect?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(1), pages 116-134.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- James Brander, 1980.
"Intra-Industry Trade in Identical Commodities,"
380, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- George P. Zanias, 2002. "The Distribution of CAP Benefits among Member States and the Impact of a Partial Re-nationalisation: A Note," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 108-112.
- Emilio Pagoulatos & Robert Sorensen, 1975. "Two-way International trade: An econometric analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 111(3), pages 454-465, 09.
- Lloyd, Peter J, 1994. "Aggregation by Industry in High-Dimensional Models," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 97-111, June.
- Tharakan, P. K. M., 1984. "Intra-industry trade between the industrial countries and the developing world," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 26(1-2), pages 213-227.
- Harald Badinger, 2005. "Growth Effects of Economic Integration: Evidence from the EU Member States," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 141(1), pages 50-78, April.
- Stanley R. Thompson & Wolfgang Gohout & Roland Herrmann, 2002. "CAP Reforms in the 1990s and their Price and Welfare Implications: The Case of Wheat," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 1-13.
- Ulrich Hampicke & Dieter Roth, 2000. "Costs of land use for conservation in Central Europe and future agricultural policy," International Journal of Agricultural Resources, Governance and Ecology, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(1), pages 95-108.
- Caves, Richard E & Williamson, Peter J, 1985. "What Is Product Differentiation, Really?," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(2), pages 113-32, December.
- Finger, J M, 1975. "Trade Overlap and Intra-Industry Trade," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 13(4), pages 581-89, December.
- Uwe Latacz-Lohmann & Ian Hodge, 2003.
"European agri-environmental policy for the 21st century,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 47(1), pages 123-139, 03.
- Latacz-Lohmann, Uwe & Hodge, Ian D., 2003. "European agri-environmental policy for the 21st century," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 47(1), March.
- H. Gray, 1973. "Two-Way international trade in manufactures: A theoretical underpinning," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 109(1), pages 19-39, March.
- Lancaster, Kelvin, 1980. "Intra-industry trade under perfect monopolistic competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 151-175, May.
- Claudy Culem & Lars Lundberg, 1986. "The product pattern of intra-industry trade: Stability among countries and over time," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 122(1), pages 113-130, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.