Market risk of developed and developing countries during the global financial crisis
AbstractThis study compares the performance of the widely used risk measure Value-at-Risk (VaR) across a large sample of developed and developing countries. The performance of the VaR is assessed by both unconditional and conditional tests of Kupiec and Christoffersen, respectively, as well as the Quadratic Loss Function. Results indicate that the performance of VaR as a measure of risk is much worse for developed countries than the developing ones during our sample period. One possible reason might be the deeper initial impact of global financial crisis on developed countries than emerging markets. Results also provide evidence of decoupling between emerging and developed countries in terms of market risk during the global financial crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 37523.
Date of creation: Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Value-at-Risk (VaR); Developed Countries; Emerging Markets; ARCH/GARCH Estimation; Kupiec Test; Christoffersen Test; Quadratic Loss Function;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2012-03-28 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-RMG-2012-03-28 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Soyoung Kim & Jong‐Wha Lee & Cyn‐Young Park, 2011.
"Emerging Asia: Decoupling or Recoupling,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1), pages 23-53, 01.
- J. Carlos Escanciano & Jose Olmo, 2011. "Robust Backtesting Tests for Value-at-risk Models," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 9(1), pages 132-161, Winter.
- Tang, Ta-Lun & Shieh, Shwu-Jane, 2006. "Long memory in stock index futures markets: A value-at-risk approach," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 366(C), pages 437-448.
- Ser-Huang Poon & Clive W.J. Granger, 2003. "Forecasting Volatility in Financial Markets: A Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(2), pages 478-539, June.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Iikka Korhonen, 2009.
"The Impact of the Global Financial Crisis on Business Cycles in Asian Emerging Economies,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2710, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Korhonen, Iikka, 2010. "The impact of the global financial crisis on business cycles in Asian emerging economies," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 293-303, June.
- Korhonen, Iikka & Fidrmuc , Jarko, 2009. "The impact of the global financial crisis on business cycles in Asian emerging economies," BOFIT Discussion Papers 11/2009, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Felices, Guillermo & Wieladek, Tomasz, 2012. "Are emerging market indicators of vulnerability to financial crises decoupling from global factors?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 321-331.
- Kose, M. Ayhan & Otrok, Christopher M. & Prasad, Eswar S., 2008.
"Global business cycles: convergence or decoupling?,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2008,17, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Christopher Otrok & Eswar Prasad, 2012. "Global Business Cycles: Convergence Or Decoupling?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 53(2), pages 511-538, 05.
- Kose, M. Ayhan & Otrok, Christopher & Prasad, Eswar, 2008. "Global Business Cycles: Convergence or Decoupling?," IZA Discussion Papers 3442, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- M. Ayhan Kose & Eswar Prasad & Christopher Otrok, 2008. "Global Business Cycles: Convergence or Decoupling?," IMF Working Papers 08/143, International Monetary Fund.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Christopher Otrok & Eswar S. Prasad, 2008. "Global Business Cycles: Convergence or Decoupling?," NBER Working Papers 14292, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nathaniel Frank & Heiko Hesse, 2009.
"Financial Spillovers to Emerging Markets during the Global Financial Crisis,"
IMF Working Papers
09/104, International Monetary Fund.
- Nathaniel Frank & Heiko Hesse, 2009. "Financial Spillovers to Emerging Markets during the Global Financial Crisis," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 59(6), pages 507-521, December.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- GIOT, Pierre & LAURENT, Sébastien, .
"Modelling daily Value-at-Risk using realized volatility and ARCH type models,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1708, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Giot, Pierre & Laurent, Sebastien, 2004. "Modelling daily Value-at-Risk using realized volatility and ARCH type models," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 379-398, June.
- Pierre Giot & Sébastien Laurent, 2002. "Modelling Daily Value-at-Risk Using Realized Volatility and ARCH Type Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 2002 52, Society for Computational Economics.
- Giot,Pierre & Laurent,Sebastien, 2001. "Modelling daily value-at-risk using realized volatility and arch type models," Research Memoranda 014, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Michael McAleer & Bernardo da Veiga & Suhejla Hoti, 2009.
"Value-at-Risk for Country Risk Ratings,"
CIRJE-F-659, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Michael McAleer & Bernardo da Veiga & Suhejla Hoti, 2010. "Value-at-Risk for Country Risk Ratings," Working Papers in Economics 10/29, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Michael McAleer & Bernardo da Veiga & Suhejla Hoti, 2009. "Value-at-Risk for Country Risk Ratings," CARF F-Series CARF-F-169, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Tim Bollerslev, 2008. "Glossary to ARCH (GARCH)," CREATES Research Papers 2008-49, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Hang Chan, Ngai & Deng, Shi-Jie & Peng, Liang & Xia, Zhendong, 2007. "Interval estimation of value-at-risk based on GARCH models with heavy-tailed innovations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 556-576, April.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Hartz, Christoph & Mittnik, Stefan & Paolella, Marc, 2006. "Accurate value-at-risk forecasting based on the normal-GARCH model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 2295-2312, December.
- Timotheos Angelidis & Alexandros Benos & Stavros Degiannakis, 2010. "The Use of GARCH Models in VaR Estimation," Working Papers 0048, University of Peloponnese, Department of Economics.
- Tahsin Saadi Sedik & Oral Williams, 2011. "Global and Regional Spillovers to GCC Equity Markets," IMF Working Papers 11/138, International Monetary Fund.
- GIOT, Pierre & LAURENT, Sébastien, 2003.
"Market risk in commodity markets: a VaR approach,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003028, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Charles Goodhart, 2008. "The Regulatory Response to the Financial Crisis," FMG Special Papers sp177, Financial Markets Group.
- Ane, Thierry, 2006. "An analysis of the flexibility of Asymmetric Power GARCH models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 1293-1311, November.
- Clark, Ephraim & Kassimatis, Konstantinos, 2004. "Country financial risk and stock market performance: the case of Latin America," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 21-41.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.