Robust Backtesting Tests for Value-at-risk Models
AbstractBacktesting methods are statistical tests designed to uncover value-at-risk (VaR) models not capable of reporting the correct unconditional coverage probability or filtering the serial dependence in the data. We show in this paper that these methods are subject to the presence of model risk produced by the incorrect specification of the conditional VaR model and derive its effect in the asymptotic distribution of the relevant out-of-sample tests. We also show that in the absence of estimation risk, the unconditional backtest is affected by model misspecification but the independence test is not. We propose using resampling methods to implement robust backtests. Our experiments suggest that block-bootstrap outperforms subsampling methods in size accuracy. We carry out a Monte Carlo study to see the importance of model risk in finite samples for location-scale models that are incorrectly specified but correct on "average ". An application to Dow--Jones Index shows the impact of correcting for model risk on backtesting procedures for different dynamic VaR models measuring risk exposure. C52, C53, G32 Copyright The Author 2010. Published by Oxford University Press. All rights reserved. For permissions, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Econometrics in its journal Journal of Financial Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 9 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://jfec.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Köksal, Bülent & Orhan, Mehmet, 2012. "Market risk of developed and developing countries during the global financial crisis," MPRA Paper 37523, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Evers, Corinna & Rohde, Johannes, 2014. "Model Risk in Backtesting Risk Measures," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP), Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche FakultÃ¤t dp-529, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Zakoïan, Jean-Michel, 2013.
Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(04), pages 735-770, August.
- Christian Gouriéroux & Jean-Michel Zakoian, 2012. "Estimation Adjusted VaR," Working Papers, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique 2012-16, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Igor Kheifets, 2014. "Specification Tests for Nonlinear Dynamic Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University 1937, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano & Pei Pei, 2012.
"Pitfalls in Backtesting Historical Simulation VaR Models,"
Caepr Working Papers, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington
2012-003, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Escanciano, Juan Carlos & Pei, Pei, 2012. "Pitfalls in backtesting Historical Simulation VaR models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2233-2244.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.