Abuse of collective dominance under the competition law of the Russian Federation
AbstractIn 2006, Russia amended its competition law and added the concepts of “collective dominance” and its abuse. This was seen as an attempt to address the common problem of “conscious parallelism” among firms in concentrated industries. Critics feared that the enforcement of this provision would become tantamount to government regulation of prices. In this paper we examine the enforcement experience to date, looking especially closely at sanctions imposed on firms in the oil industry. Some difficulties and complications experienced in enforcement are analyzed, and some alternative strategies for addressing anticompetitive behavior in concentrated industries discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 33742.
Date of creation: 22 Sep 2011
Date of revision:
competition law; collective dominance; abuse of dominance; Russian Federation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L41 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Monopolization; Horizontal Anticompetitive Practices
- K21 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - Antitrust Law
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2011-10-09 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-COM-2011-10-09 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CWA-2011-10-09 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-HME-2011-10-09 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-REG-2011-10-09 (Regulation)
- NEP-TRA-2011-10-09 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Billard, Olivier & Ivaldi, Marc & Mitraille, Sébastien, 2011. "Evaluation of the Risks of Collective Dominance in the Audit Industry in France," IDEI Working Papers 674, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 07 Jun 2012.
- Motta,Massimo, 2004. "Competition Policy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521816632, December.
- Richard Schmalensee, 1978. "Entry Deterrence in the Ready-to-Eat Breakfast Cereal Industry," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(2), pages 305-327, Autumn.
- Pittman, Russell, 2007. "Restructuring the Russian electricity sector: Re-creating California?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1872-1883, March.
- S. Avdasheva & A. Shastitko, 2004. "Industrial Policy and Competition Policy: Problems of Interaction and Lessons for Russia," Problems of Economic Transition, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 47(6), pages 48-65, October.
- Broadman, Harry G., 2000. "Reducing structural dominance and entry barriers in Russian industry," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2330, The World Bank.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Jullien, Bruno & Rey, Patrick & Seabright, Paul & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "The Economics of Tacit Collusion," IDEI Working Papers 186, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Billard, Olivier & Ivaldi, Marc & Mitraille, Sebastien, 2011. "Evaluation of the Risks of Collective Dominance in the Audit Industry in France," CEPR Discussion Papers 8417, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrey Shastitko, 2011. "Collective Dominance Through the Lens of Comparative Antitrust," Antitrust Chronicle, Competition Policy International, vol. 8.
- Harry Broadman, 2000. "Reducing Structural Dominance and Entry Barriers in Russian Industry," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 155-175, September.
- Billard, Olivier & Ivaldi, Marc & Mitraille, Sébastien, 2011. "Evaluation of the Risks of Collective Dominance in the Audit Industry in France," TSE Working Papers 11-234, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE), revised 07 Jun 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.