Getting into Your Head(Ache): The Information Content of Advertising in the Over-the-Counter Analgesics Industry
AbstractWe study how much information firms include in their advertisements and what determines their choices. We use data from advertisement videos from the US OTC analgesics industry between 2001 and 2005 to measure information content in ads. For each video we code the number of cues it contains. The correlation between any two cues is rarely large, suggesting that each cue provides different information. We find: i) brands with inherently better characteristics (e.g. faster relief) transmit more information; ii) comparative advertisements contain significantly more information than self-promotion ads; iii) market share is negatively associated with the amount of information content; iv) a higher market share of the generic version of a brand is also associated with less information by the brand. Not controlling for endogeneity of market share and the decision to use comparative advertising would lead to significant estimation bias. Result (iii) is consistent with recent theoretical work that larger firms disclose less information, while result (iv) indicates the likely presence of information spillovers from brands to their generic counterparts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 24916.
Date of creation: 10 Aug 2010
Date of revision:
Information Content; Advertising; Comparative Advertising; Content Analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M37 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Advertising
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- L15 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Information and Product Quality
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-09-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2010-09-25 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-MKT-2010-09-25 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rivers, Douglas & Vuong, Quang H., 1988. "Limited information estimators and exogeneity tests for simultaneous probit models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 347-366, November.
- Angrist, Joshua D, 2001.
"Estimations of Limited Dependent Variable Models with Dummy Endogenous Regressors: Simple Strategies for Empirical Practice,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 19(1), pages 2-16, January.
- Joshua D. Angrist, 2000. "Estimation of Limited-Dependent Variable Models with Dummy Endogenous Regressors: Simple Strategies for Empirical Practice," NBER Technical Working Papers 0248, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua Angrist, 1999. "Estimation of Limited-Dependent Variable Models with Dummy Endogenous Regressors: Simple Strategies for Empirical Practice," Working papers 99-31, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2010.
"Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 2, volume 1, number 0262232588, December.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262232197, December.
- Richard Blundell & James Powell, 2001. "Endogeneity in nonparametric and semiparametric regression models," CeMMAP working papers CWP09/01, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Anderson, Simon P & Ciliberto, Federico & Liaukonyte, Jura & Renault, Régis, 2012.
"Push-Me Pull-You: Comparative Advertising in the OTC Analgesics Industry,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8988, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anderson, Simon & Ciliberto, Federico & Liaukonyte, Jura & Renault, Regis, 2012. "Push-Me Pull-You: Comparative Advertising in the OTC Analgesics Industry," MPRA Paper 38626, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Renault, Régis & Liaukonyte, Jura & Ciliberto, Federico & Anderson, Simon, 2012. "Push-Me Pull-You: Comparative Advertising in the OTC Analgesics Industry," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/12285, Paris Dauphine University.
- Ganesh Iyer & David Soberman & J. Miguel Villas-Boas, 2005. "The Targeting of Advertising," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(3), pages 461-476, May.
- Bharat Anand & Ron Shachar, 2009. "Targeted advertising as a signal," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 237-266, September.
- Renault, Régis & Anderson, Simon P., 2009.
"Comparative advertising: disclosing horizontal match information,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/12478, Paris Dauphine University.
- Simon P. Anderson & Régis Renault, 2009. "Comparative advertising: disclosing horizontal match information," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 40(3), pages 558-581.
- Simon P. ANDERSON & Régis RENAULT, 2008. "Comparative Advertising: disclosing horizontal match information," THEMA Working Papers 2008-29, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Smith, Richard J & Blundell, Richard W, 1986. "An Exogeneity Test for a Simultaneous Equation Tobit Model with an Application to Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 679-85, May.
- Emons, Winand & Fluet, Claude, 2012.
"Non-comparative versus comparative advertising of quality,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 352-360.
- Winand Emons & Claude Fluet, 2011. "Non-comparative versus Comparative Advertising of Quality," CIRANO Working Papers 2011s-75, CIRANO.
- Winand Emons & Claude Fluet, 2011. "Non-Comparative versus Comparative Advertising of Quality," Cahiers de recherche 1139, CIRPEE.
- Emons, Winand & Fluet, Claude, 2009.
"Non-comparative versus Comparative Advertising as a Quality Signal,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7109, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Winand Emons & Claude Fluet, 2008. "Non-comparative versus Comparative Advertising as a Quality Signal," Diskussionsschriften dp0805, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Emons, Winand & Fluet, Claude, 2011. "Non-comparative versus Comparative Advertising as a Quality Signal," Annual Conference 2011 (Frankfurt, Main): The Order of the World Economy - Lessons from the Crisis 48713, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Winand Emons & Claude Fluet, 2009. "Non-comparative versus Comparative Advertising as a Quality Signal," Cahiers de recherche 0902, CIRPEE.
- Maria Alipranti & Emmanuel Petrakis, 2012. "Comparative Advertising in Markets with Network Externalities," Working Papers 1306, University of Crete, Department of Economics, revised 08 May 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.