How policy can influence human capital accumulation and environment quality
AbstractThis paper considers the implications of education and environment policy for growth in a model where the interactions between health, education, and the environment are taken into account. With respect to previous works, in which one of these three dimensions is omitted, we consider their combined effects, arriving to novel results in the literature. According to our model, higher taxes and environment spending share in total public spending do not affect welfare significantly, but they have an important positive impact on human capital and environment quality. Here, a positive relationship between public education spending and environment quality emerges as well as between environment maintenance expenditure and human capital. At the same time, countries with a high environmental quality should spend less on environment maintenance compared to heavily polluted countries. Finally, for countries with advanced abatement technologies, the relationship between human capital and environment is positive, which is compatible with the environmental Kuznets curve.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 21754.
Date of creation: 30 Mar 2010
Date of revision:
Fiscal policy; Health production; Human capital; Environment quality.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
- I28 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Government Policy
- E60 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - General
- Q58 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Government Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2010-04-11 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-HRM-2010-04-11 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Osang, Thomas & Sarkar, Jayanta, 2008. "Endogenous mortality, human capital and economic growth," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1423-1445, December.
- Xavier Pautrel, 2009.
"Environmental policy, education and growth: A reappraisal when lifetime is finite,"
- Pautrel, Xavier, 2012. "Environmental Policy, Education And Growth: A Reappraisal When Lifetime Is Finite," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(05), pages 661-685, November.
- Xavier Pautrel, 2008. "Environmental Policy, Education and Growth: A Reappraisal when Lifetime Is Finite," Working Papers 2008.57, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Dimitrios Varvarigos, 2010. "Environmental Degradation, Longevity, and the Dynamics of Economic Development," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 46(1), pages 59-73, May.
- AndrÃ© Grimaud & Frederic Tournemaine, 2007.
"Why can an environmental policy tax promote growth through the channel of education?,"
22635, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Grimaud, Andre & Tournemaine, Frederic, 2007. "Why can an environmental policy tax promote growth through the channel of education?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 27-36, April.
- Grimaud, André & Tournemaine, Frédéric, 2006. "Why can an environmental policy tax promote growth through the channel of education?," IDEI Working Papers 676, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- David Weil, 2006.
"Accounting for the Effect of Health on Economic Growth,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c011_031, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- David N. Weil, 2007. "Accounting for The Effect of Health on Economic Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 122(3), pages 1265-1306, 08.
- David N. Weil, 2005. "Accounting for the Effect of Health on Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 11455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David N. Weil, 2005. "Accounting for the Effect of Health on Economic Growth," Working Papers 2005-07, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Xavier Pautrel, 2009. "Time-separable Utility, Leisure and Human Capital Accumulation: What New Implications for the Environment-Growth Nexus?," Working Papers 2009.104, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt & Fabrice Murtin, 2009.
"The relationship between health and growth:when Lucas meets Nelson-Phelps,"
Documents de Travail de l'OFCE
2009-28, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt & Fabrice Murtin, 2011. "The Relationship Between Health and Growth: When Lucas Meets Nelson-Phelps," Review of Economics and Institutions, Università di Perugia, vol. 2(1).
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt & Fabrice Murtin, 2010. "The Relationship Between Health and Growth: When Lucas Meets Nelson-Phelps," NBER Working Papers 15813, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antoci, Angelo & Sodini, Mauro, 2009. "Indeterminacy, bifurcations and chaos in an overlapping generations model with negative environmental externalities," MPRA Paper 13750, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- JOUVET, Pierre-André & PESTIEAU, Pierre & PONTHIERE, Grégory, .
"Longevity and environmental quality in an OLG model,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-2377, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pierre-André Jouvet & Pierre Pestieau & Gregory Ponthiere, 2010. "Longevity and environmental quality in an OLG model," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 100(3), pages 191-216, July.
- JOUVET, Pierre-André & PESTIEAU, Pierre & PONTHIERE, Gregory, 2007. "Longevity and environmental quality in an OLG model," CORE Discussion Papers 2007069, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pierre-André Jouvet & Pierre Pestieau & Grégory Ponthière, 2007. "Longevity and environmental quality in an OLG model," EconomiX Working Papers 2007-19, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- María José Gutiérrez, 2004.
"Dynamic Inefficiency in an Overlapping Generation Economy with Pollution and Health Costs,"
Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces
E2004/38, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Mar�A-José Gutiérrez, 2008. "Dynamic Inefficiency in an Overlapping Generation Economy with Pollution and Health Costs," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 10(4), pages 563-594, 08.
- Gutiérrez Huerta, María José, 2002. "Dynamic Inefficiency in an Overlapping Generation Economy with Pollution and Health Costs," DFAEII Working Papers 2002-23, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Xavier Pautrel, 2009.
"Health-enhancing activities and the environment:How competition for resources make the environmental policy beneficial,"
- Xavier Pautrel, 2009. "Health-enhancing Activities and the Environment: How Competition for Resources Makes the Environmental Policy Beneficial," Working Papers 2009.111, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Jack, William & Lewis, Maureen, 2009. "Health investments and economic growth : macroeconomic evidence and microeconomic foundations," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4877, The World Bank.
- Raymond Gradus & Sjak Smulders, 1993.
"The trade-off between environmental care and long-term growth—Pollution in three prototype growth models,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 25-51, February.
- Smulders, J.A. & Gradus, R.H.J.M., 1993. "The trade-off between environmental care and long-term growth: Pollution in three proto-type growth models," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-153405, Tilburg University.
- Kevin M. Murphy & Robert H. Topel, 2006.
"The Value of Health and Longevity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(5), pages 871-904, October.
- Xavier Pautrel, 2009. "Environmental policy, education and growth with finite lifetime: the role of the abatement technology," Working Papers hal-00425537, HAL.
- Xavier Pautrel, 2010. "Environmental Policy, Education and Growth with Finite Lifetime: the Role of Abatement Technology," Working Papers 2010.70, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Pautrel, Xavier, 2009. "Pollution and life expectancy: How environmental policy can promote growth," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(4), pages 1040-1051, February.
- van Zon, Adriaan & Muysken, Joan, 2001. "Health and endogenous growth," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 169-185, March.
- John, A & Pecchenino, R, 1994. "An Overlapping Generations Model of Growth and the Environment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(427), pages 1393-1410, November.
- Xavier Pautrel, 2006. "Reconsidering The Impact of Environment on Long-Run Growth When Pollution Influences Health and Agents Have Finite-Lifetime," Working Papers 2006.93, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Currais, Luis & Rivera, Berta & Rungo, Paolo, 2010. "Effects of the complementarity of child nutrition and education on persistent deprivation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 67-69, January.
- Nikos Benos, 2010. "Education policy, growth and welfare," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 33-47.
- Ricci, Francesco, 2007.
"Channels of transmission of environmental policy to economic growth: A survey of the theory,"
Elsevier, vol. 60(4), pages 688-699, February.
- Francesco Ricci, 2004. "Channels of Transmission of Environmental Policy to Economic Growth: A Survey of the Theory," Working Papers 2004.52, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Hartman, Richard & Kwon, O-Sung, 2005. "Sustainable growth and the environmental Kuznets curve," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 1701-1736, October.
- Jocelyn E. Finlay, 2006. "Endogenous Longevity and Economic Growth," PGDA Working Papers 0706, Program on the Global Demography of Aging.
- Bloom, David E. & Canning, David & Sevilla, Jaypee, 2004. "The Effect of Health on Economic Growth: A Production Function Approach," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 1-13, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.