The Determinants of Current Account Imbalances in Malawi
AbstractPersistent current account imbalances in many least developed and emerging countries have excited considerable interest among researchers and policy makers to have a clear understanding of the dynamics of the current account and its role in macroeconomic outcomes. Based on the saving-investment theory, this paper uses cointegration analysis to identify the long run and short-run determinants of Malawi’s current account deficit using annual data from 1980 to 2006. Results suggest that openness, terms of trade, external debt accumulation, and current account liberalization fundamentally determined the current account deficit in Malawi. Furthermore, results reveal that these deficits have been, to a large extent, persistent.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 14694.
Date of creation: Apr 2009
Date of revision:
Current Account Balance; Saving-Investment Balances; Cointegration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F0 - International Economics - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2009-04-25 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2009-04-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-OPM-2009-04-25 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bussière, Matthieu & Fratzscher, Marcel & Müller, Gernot J., 2004. "Current accounts dynamics in OECD and EU acceding countries - an intertemporal approach," Working Paper Series 0311, European Central Bank.
- Calderon, Cesar & Chong, Alberto & Loayza, Norman, 2000.
"Determinants of current account deficits in developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2398, The World Bank.
- Calderon Cesar Augusto & Chong Alberto & Loayza Norman V., 2002. "Determinants of Current Account Deficits in Developing Countries," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-33, March.
- César Calderón & Alberto Chong & Norman Loayza, 1999. "Determinants of Current Account Deficits in Developing Countries," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 51, Central Bank of Chile.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2001.
"Does the Current Account Matter?,"
NBER Working Papers
8275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Herrmann, Sabine & Jochem, Axel, 2005. "Determinants of current account developments in the central and east European EU member states - consequences for the enlargement of the euro area," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2005,32, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S., 1985. "Income and price effects in foreign trade," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 20, pages 1041-1105 Elsevier.
- Hamid Faruqee & Guy Debelle, 1996. "What Determines the Current Account? a Cross-Sectional and Panel Approach," IMF Working Papers 96/58, International Monetary Fund.
- Mohsin S. Khan & Malcolm D. Knight, 1983. "Determinants of Current Account Balances of Non-Oil Developing Countries in the 1970s: An Empirical Analysis (Analyse empirique des facteurs dÃ©terminant le solde des transactions courantes des pays," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(4), pages 819-842, December.
- Chassem, Nacisse Palissy, 2011.
"Effets de long terme du taux de change réel sur la balance commerciale nominale et réelle en zone Franc africaine
[Long-run effects of real exchange rate on the nominal and real trade balance in ," MPRA Paper 30252, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Syed tehseen, jawaid & Raza, Syed Ali, 2012.
"Dynamics of Current Account Deficit: A Lesson from Pakistan,"
38999, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Syed Jawaid & Syed Raza, 2013. "Dynamics of Current Account Deficit: A Lesson from Pakistan," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 357-366, February.
- Natalya Ketenci, 2010. "Major Determinants of Current Account in Russia," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 790-806, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.