Global Production Sharing and the FDIâ€“Trade Nexus: New Evidence from the Japanese Automobile Industry
AbstractThe growing importance of global production sharing makes the nexus between outward foreign direct investment (FDI) and trade in parts and components ever more important. This paper examines the impact of overseas operation of upstream firms (parts and components suppliers) on parts and components exports from the home country through a case study of the Japanese automobile industry. The empirical analysis is based on a newly-constructed product-level dataset covering 32 products and 49 host countries over the period 1993 to 2008. It is found that overseas operation of upstream firm lead to additional exports of intermediate goods from the home country. This finding runs counter to the the popular view that the growing overseas activity of multinational enterprises could replace intermediate exports from a home country, thereby depriving the home country of job opportunities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 2012-13.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/publications/
More information through EDIRC
Global production sharing; foreign direct investment; exports; automobile; Japan;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nobuaki Yamashita & Kyoji Fukao, 2009.
"Expansion Abroad and Jobs at Home - Evidence from Japanese Multinational Enterprises,"
Macroeconomics Working Papers
22707, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Yamashita, Nobuaki & Fukao, Kyoji, 2010. "Expansion abroad and jobs at home: Evidence from Japanese multinational enterprises," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 88-97, March.
- Nobuaki Yamashita & Kyoji Fukao, 2008. "Expansion Abroad and Jobs at Home: Evidence from Japanese Multinational Enterprises," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 377, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Robert E. Lipsey & Eric D. Ramstetter & Magnus Blomstrom, 2000. "Outward FDI and Parent Exports and Employment: Japan, the United States, and Sweden," NBER Working Papers 7623, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra & Yamashita, Nobuaki, 2006.
"Production fragmentation and trade integration: East Asia in a global context,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 233-256, December.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Nobuaki Yamashita, 2005. "Production Fragmentation and Trade Integration: East Asia in a Global Context," Departmental Working Papers 2005-07, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- James R. Markusen, 1995. "The Boundaries of Multinational Enterprises and the Theory of International Trade," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 169-189, Spring.
- Head, C. Keith & Ries, John C. & Swenson, Deborah L., 1999. "Attracting foreign manufacturing: Investment promotion and agglomeration," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 197-218, March.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Lipsey, Robert E., 1986.
"Firm Size and Foreign Direct Investment,"
86-34, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Grubert, Harry & Mutti, John, 1991. "Taxes, Tariffs and Transfer Pricing in Multinational Corporate Decision Making," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 285-93, May.
- Timothy Sturgeon & Johannes Van Biesebroeck & Gary Gereffi, 2008. "Value chains, networks and clusters: reframing the global automotive industry," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 297-321, May.
- Blonigen, Bruce A., 2001.
"In search of substitution between foreign production and exports,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 81-104, February.
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 1999. "In Search of Substitution Between Foreign Production and Exports," NBER Working Papers 7154, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blonigen, Bruce A. & Ellis, Christopher J. & Fausten, Dietrich, 2005.
"Industrial groupings and foreign direct investment,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 75-91, January.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Christopher J. Ellis & Dietrich Fausten, 2003. "Industrial groupings and foreign direct investment," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2003-19, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 01 Mar 2003.
- Wooldridge, J.M., 1990.
"Distribution-Free Estimation Of Some Nonlinear Panel Data Models,"
564, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 1999. "Distribution-free estimation of some nonlinear panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 77-97, May.
- Lipsey, Robert E. & Ramstetter, Eric D., 2003. "Japanese exports, MNC affiliates, and rivalry for export markets," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 101-117, June.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc J. Melitz & Stephen R. Yeaple, 2004.
"Export Versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 300-316, March.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Robert E. Lipsey & Ksenia Kulchycky, 1989.
"U.S. and Swedish Direct Investment and Exports,"
NBER Working Papers
2390, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lipsey, Robert E & Weiss, Merle Yahr, 1981. "Foreign Production and Exports in Manufacturing Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(4), pages 488-94, November.
- Lipsey, Robert E & Weiss, Merle Yahr, 1984. "Foreign Production and Exports of Individual Firms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(2), pages 304-08, May.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John, 2001. "Overseas Investment and Firm Exports," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 108-22, February.
- Kunal Banerji & Rakesh B Sambharya, 1996. "Vertical Keiretsu and International Market Entry: The Case of the Japanese Automobile Ancillary Industry," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(1), pages 89-113, March.
- Clausing, Kimberly A, 2000. "Does Multinational Activity Displace Trade?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 38(2), pages 190-205, April.
- Kimura, Fukunari & Ando, Mitsuyo, 2005. "Two-dimensional fragmentation in East Asia: Conceptual framework and empirics," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 317-348.
- Yamawaki, Hideki, 1991. "Exports and Foreign Distributional Activities: Evidence on Japanese Firms in the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 294-300, May.
- Keith Head & John Ries & Deborah Swenson, 1994.
"Agglomeration Benefits and Location Choice: Evidence from Japanese Manufacturing Investment in the United States,"
NBER Working Papers
4767, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John & Swenson, Deborah, 1995. "Agglomeration benefits and location choice: Evidence from Japanese manufacturing investments in the United States," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 223-247, May.
- Markusen, James R., 1984. "Multinationals, multi-plant economies, and the gains from trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 205-226, May.
- Wong, Kar-yiu, 1986. "Are international trade and factor mobility substitutes?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1-2), pages 25-43, August.
- Keith Head & John Ries, 2004. "Exporting and FDI as Alternative Strategies," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(3), pages 409-423, Autumn.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.