Vertical Keiretsu and International Market Entry: The Case of the Japanese Automobile Ancillary Industry
AbstractThis study investigated whether small Japanese automobile ancillary firms followed the major Japanese automakers in setting up production facilities in the United States. Based on Dunning's eclectic theory of foreign direct investment and resource dependence theory, hypotheses were generated to explain the determinants of foreign investment of Japanese suppliers. It was hypothesized that mutual dependencies between the major Japanese automobile firms and their suppliers, firm-specific ownership advantages, profitability, and keiretsu affiliation influenced the foreign direct investment of the first-tier automobile ancillary firms into the United States. Data on the entire population of 446 Japanese automobile ancillary manufacturers were obtained from archival sources. Logistical regression analyses indicated that keiretsu affiliation, previous international experience, small size, lower dependence of supplier firms on the automobile assembly firm, and higher dependence of core firms on affiliate firms all contributed to this foreign direct investment.© 1996 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1996) 27, 89–113
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 27 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jean McGuire & Sandra Dow, 2009. "Japanese keiretsu: Past, present, future," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 333-351, June.
- Shuhei Nishitateno, 2012. "Global Production Sharing and the FDIâ€“Trade Nexus: New Evidence from the Japanese Automobile Industry," Departmental Working Papers 2012-13, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Dow, Sandra & McGuire, Jean, 2009. "Propping and tunneling: Empirical evidence from Japanese keiretsu," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1817-1828, October.
- Peterson, Robert M. & Clay Dibrell, C. & Pett, Timothy L., 2002. "Long- vs. short-term performance perspectives of Western European, Japanese, and U.S. countries: where do they lie?," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 245-255, January.
- Pak, Yong Suhk & Park, Young-Ryeol, 2005. "Characteristics of Japanese FDI in the East and the West: Understanding the strategic motives of Japanese investment," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 254-266, August.
- Alcantara, Lailani Laynesa & Mitsuhashi, Hitoshi, 2012. "Make-or-Break Decisions in Choosing Foreign Direct Investment Locations," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 335-351.
- Shuhei Nishitateno, 2012. "Global Production Sharing and FDI-Trade Nexus: New Evidence from the Japanese Automobile Industry," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 397, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Peng, Mike W. & Lee, Seung-Hyun & Tan, J. Justin, 2001. "The keiretsu in Asia: Implications for multilevel theories of competitive advantage," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 253-276.
- Leung, W. -F., 1998. "A model of coexistence of international joint ventures and foreign wholly-owned subsidiaries," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 233-252, April.
- Milner, Chris & Reed, Geoff & Talerngsri, Pawin, 2006. "Vertical linkages and agglomeration effects in Japanese FDI in Thailand," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 193-208, June.
- Banerji, Kunal & Sambharya, Rakesh B., 1998. "Effect of network organization on alliance formation: A study of the Japanese automobile ancillary industry," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 41-57, July.
- Nishitateno, Shuhei, 2013. "Global production sharing and the FDI–trade nexus: New evidence from the Japanese automobile industry," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 64-80.
- Manev, Ivan M., 2003. "The managerial network in a multinational enterprise and the resource profiles of subsidiaries," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 133-151.
- Xiaohua Yang & Yi Jiang & Rongping Kang & Yinbin Ke, 2009. "A comparative analysis of the internationalization of Chinese and Japanese firms," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 141-162, March.
- Xie, Yu Henry & Zhao, Hongxin John & Xie, Qian Jane & Arnold, Mark, 2011. "On the determinants of post-entry strategic positioning of foreign firms in a host market: A "strategy tripod" perspective," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 477-490, August.
- McGuire, Jean & Dow, Sandra, 2002. "The Japanese keiretsu system: an empirical analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 33-40, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.