Firm Size and Foreign Direct Investment
AbstractThis paper examines the importance of firm size in explaining foreign direct investment with data from American and Swedish firms. The results suggest that firm size only has a threshold effect on foreign investment, an effect on the decision to invest abroad. Once, however, a firm has jumped the initial barriers to foreign production, size has no effect on the fraction of the firm's resources devoted to foreign activity. Among firms that invest in foreign production large firms do not appear to have any particular advantage over small investing firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 2092.
Date of creation: Dec 1986
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as "Firm Size and Foreign Operation of Multinationals." From The Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Vol. 93, No. 1, pp. 101-107, (1991).
Note: ITI IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caves, Richard E, 1974. "Causes of Direct Investment: Foreign Firms' Shares in Canadian and United Kingdom Manufacturing Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(3), pages 279-93, August.
- Robert E. Lipsey & Irving B. Kravis & Linda O'Connor, 1983. "Characteristics of U.S. Manufacturing Companies Investing Abroad and their Choice of Production Locations," NBER Working Papers 1104, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Horst, Thomas, 1972. "Firm and Industry Determinants of the Decision to Invest Abroad: An Empirical Study," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(3), pages 258-66, August.
- Shuhei Nishitateno, 2012. "Global Production Sharing and FDI-Trade Nexus: New Evidence from the Japanese Automobile Industry," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 397, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Shuhei Nishitateno, 2012. "Global Production Sharing and the FDIâ€“Trade Nexus: New Evidence from the Japanese Automobile Industry," Departmental Working Papers 2012-13, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.