Market Integration in Wholesale Rice Markets in India
AbstractThis paper tests for market integration in 55 wholesale rice markets in India using monthly data over the period January 1970 - December 1999. The technique of Gonzalez-Rivera and Helfand (2001) is used to identify common factors across various markets. It is discovered that market integration is far from complete in India and a major reason for this is the excessive interference in rice markets by government agencies. As a result it is hard for scarcity conditions in isolated markets to be picked up by markets with abundance in supply. A number of policy implications are also considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre in its series ASARC Working Papers with number 2005-03.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/asarc/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2005-06-19 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2005-06-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2005-06-19 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-INT-2005-06-19 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shahidur Rashid, 2004.
"Spatial Integration of Maize Markets in Post-liberalised Uganda,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 13(1), pages 102-133, March.
- Rashid, Shahidur, 2004. "Spatial integration of maize markets in post-liberalized Uganda," MTID discussion papers 71, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Engle, Robert F. & Yoo, Byung Sam, 1987. "Forecasting and testing in co-integrated systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 143-159, May.
- Goletti, Francesco, 1994. "The changing public role in a rice economy approaching self-sufficiency: the case of Bangladesh," Research reports 98, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Hussain, Babar, 2011. "Testing the law of one price in gram markets of Pakistan," MPRA Paper 30600, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Apr 2011.
- David Atkin, 2010.
"Trade, tastes and Nutrition in India,"
986, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Jayasuriya, Sisira & Kim, Jae H. & Kumar, Parmod, 2007. "International and Internal Market Integration in Indian agriculture: A study of the Indian Rice Market," 106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France 7935, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Cali, Massimiliano & Menon, Carlo, 2013.
"Does urbanization affect rural poverty ? evidence from Indian districts,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6338, The World Bank.
- Massimiliano Cal� & Carlo Menon, 2013. "Does Urbanization Affect Rural Poverty? Evidence from Indian Districts," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 27(2), pages 171-201.
- Massimiliano Cali & Carlo Menon, 2009. "Does urbanisation affect rural poverty? Evidence from Indian districts," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 33205, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Massimiliano Cali & Carlo Menon, 2009. "Does Urbanisation Affect Rural Poverty? Evidence from Indian Districts," SERC Discussion Papers 0014, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Sekhar, C.S.C., 2012. "Agricultural market integration in India: An analysis of select commodities," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 309-322.
- Tahir Mukhtar & Muhammad Tariq Javed, 2007. "Price Integration in Wholesale Maize Markets in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 46(4), pages 1075-1084.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.