Agricultural Policy Reforms And Spatial Integration Of Food Grain Markets In India
AbstractApplying the maximum likelihood method of co-integration, this paper examines the impact of agricultural policy reforms on spatial integration of food grain markets in India. The extent of spatial integration of food grain markets has improved during the post-reform period, as the regional markets, which were either segmented or poorly integrated during the pre-reform period, are found to be strongly integrated, and in most cases to such an extent that satisfies the relative version of the law of one price. The agricultural policy reforms undertaken by the Indian government seem to have contributed towards improving the extent of spatial integration of food grain markets. The results offer important policy implications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics in its journal Journal Of Economic Development.
Volume (Year): 36 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Co-integration; Market Integration; Law of One Price; Indian Food Grain Market; ¡¡Agricultural Reforms;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
- Q11 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis; Prices
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Awokuse, Titus O. & Bernard, John C., 2007. "Spatial Price Dynamics in U.S. Regional Broiler Markets," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 39(03), December.
- Bob Baulch, 1997. "Transfer Costs, Spatial Arbitrage, and Testing for Food Market Integration," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 477-487.
- Asche, F. & Bremnes, H. & Wessells, C.R., 1998.
"Product Aggregation, Market Integration and Relationships Between Prices: an Application to World Salmon Markets,"
27/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Frank Asche & Helge Bremnes & Cathy R. Wessells, 1999. "Product Aggregation, Market Integration, and Relationships between Prices: An Application to World Salmon Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 568-581.
- Osterwald-Lenum, Michael, 1992. "A Note with Quantiles of the Asymptotic Distribution of the Maximum Likelihood Cointegration Rank Test Statistics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 461-72, August.
- Zanias, George P., 1999. "Seasonality and spatial integration in agricultural (product) markets," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 20(3), pages 253-262, May.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.