Panel Estimation for Worriers
AbstractThe recent blossoming of panel econometrics in general and panel time-series methods in particular has enabled many more research questions to be investigated than before. However, this development has not assuaged serious concerns over the lack of diagnostic testing procedures in panel econometrics, in particular vis-a-vis the prominence of such practices in the time-series domain: the recent introduction of residual cross-section independence tests aside, within mainstream panel empirics the combination of 'model', 'spefication' and 'testing' typically refers to the distinction between fixed and random effects, as opposed to a rigorous investigation of residual properties. In this paper we investigate these issues in the context of non-stationary panels with multifactor error structure, employing Monte Carlo simulations to investigate the distributions and rejection frequencies for standard time-series diagnostic procedures, including tests for residual autocorrelation, ARCH, normality, heteroskedasticity and functional form.�
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Oxford, Department of Economics in its series Economics Series Working Papers with number 514.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2010
Date of revision:
Panel time-series; residual diagnostics; common factor model;
Other versions of this item:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-12-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2010-12-04 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2010-12-04 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-MIC-2010-12-04 (Microeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anindya Banerjee & Josep Lluis Carrion-i-Silvestre, 2011. "Testing for Panel Cointegration Using Common Correlated Effects," Discussion Papers 11-16, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Evangelia Papapetrou & Dimitrios Bakas, 2012. "Unemployment in Greece: evidence from Greek regions," Working Papers 146, Bank of Greece.
- Heike Belitz & Florian Mölders, 2013. "International Knowledge Spillovers through High-Tech Imports and R&D of Foreign-Owned Firms," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1276, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Dierk Herzery & Holger Strulik & Sebastian Vollmer, 2010.
"The Long-run Determinants of Fertility: One Century of Demographic Change 1900-1999,"
PGDA Working Papers
6310, Program on the Global Demography of Aging.
- Dierk Herzer & Holger Strulik & Sebastian Vollmer, 2012. "The long-run determinants of fertility: one century of demographic change 1900–1999," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 357-385, December.
- Herzer, Dierk & Strulik, Holger & Vollmer, Sebastian, 2010. "The Long-run Determinants of Fertility: One Century of Demographic Change 1900-1999," Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover dp-456, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Roth, Felix & Gros, Daniel & Nowak-Lehmann D., Felicitas, 2012. "Has the financial crisis eroded citizens' trust in the European Central Bank? Panel data evidence for the Euro area, 1999-2011," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 124, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Giray Gozgor, 2013. "Testing Unemployment Persistence in Central and Eastern European Countries," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 3(3), pages 694-700.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Wise).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.