Local House Price Indexes: 1982-1991
AbstractWe begin with a description of three house price panel data sets for the period 1982 to 1991. Next, we estimate a model that assumes the three sources are derived from an underlying unobserved price series, and we construct composite indexes that report house prices for 135 locations. These series can be used either as explanatory variables in studies of household formation, housing demand, and migration or to test models of the determinants of spatial and intertemporal variations in house prices. Finally, we construct regional series (based, alternatively, on census and Salomon Brothers regions) and two national aggregates and describe their movements. Our series are compared to other local, regional, and national series.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 3933.
Date of creation: Dec 1991
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabriel, Stuart A. & Shack-Marquez, Janice & Wascher, William L., 1993. "Does migration arbitrage regional labor market differentials?," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 211-233, April.
- Ozanne, Larry & Thibodeau, Thomas, 1983. "Explaining metropolitan housing price differences," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 51-66, January.
- Case, Karl E & Shiller, Robert J, 1989.
"The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 125-37, March.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1989. "The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes," NBER Working Papers 2506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1990.
"Forecasting Prices and Excess Returns in the Housing Market,"
NBER Working Papers
3368, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1990. "Forecasting Prices and Excess Returns in the Housing Market," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 18(3), pages 253-273.
- Winkler, Anne E., 1992. "The impact of housing costs on the living arrangements of single mothers," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 388-403, November.
- Joe Peek & James A. Wilcox, 1991.
"The Measurement and Determinants of Single-Family House Prices,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 353-382.
- Joe Peek & James A. Wilcox, 1991. "The measurement and determinants of single-family house prices," Working Papers 91-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- H. Leroy Gill & Donald R. Haurin, 1991. "User Cost and the Demand for Housing Attributes," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 383-396.
- Patric H. Hendershott & Thomas G. Thibodeau, 1990. "The Relationship between Median and Constant Quality House Prices: Implications for Setting FHA Loan Limits," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 18(3), pages 323-334.
- Randal Verbrugge & Thesia I. Garner, 2009.
"Reconciling User Costs and Rental Equivalence: Evidence from the U.S. Consumer Expenditure Survey,"
427, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Garner, Thesia I. & Verbrugge, Randal, 2009. "Reconciling user costs and rental equivalence: Evidence from the US consumer expenditure survey," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 172-192, September.
- Randal Verbrugge, 2009.
"The Puzzling Divergence of Rents and User Costs, 1980-2004,"
422, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Randal Verbrugge, 2008. "The Puzzling Divergence Of Rents And User Costs, 1980-2004," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(4), pages 671-699, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.