New Evidence on Home Prices from Freddie Mac Repeat Sales
AbstractThe weighted repeat sales price index methodology recently reported in Case and Shiller  is applied to a dataset of over eight million loans bought by the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation over the last twenty years. Regional price indices are reported and compared to indices from other sources. Statistical issues in the creation of the index, both technical and due to sample selectivity of the Freddie Mac dataset, are extensively discussed. It is found that the new index grows at a rate similar to other indices up until 1985, after which time it grows at a significantly higher rate. Copyright American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association in its journal Real Estate Economics.
Volume (Year): 19 (1991)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, 1309 East Tenth Street, Suite 738, Bloomington, Indiana 47405
Phone: (812) 855-7794
Fax: (812) 855-8679
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1080-8620
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Baroni, Michel & Barthélémy, Fabrice & Mokrane, Mahdi, 2009.
"A repeat sales index Robust to small datasets,"
ESSEC Working Papers
DR 09003, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Baroni Michel & Barthélémy Fabrice & Mokrane Madhi, 2009. "A repeat sales index robust to small datasets," THEMA Working Papers 2009-16, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Michel Baroni & Fabrice Barthélémy & Mokrane Mahdi, 2009. "A Repeat Sales Index Robust to Small Datasets," Post-Print hal-00551732, HAL.
- Julio Escobar & Carlos Huertas & Dora Alicia Mora & José Vicente Romero, . "INDICE DE PRECIOS DE LA VIVIENDA USADA EN COLOMBIA - I P V U - Método de ventas repetidas," Borradores de Economia 368, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Marvin L. Wolverton & Jimmy Senteza, 2000. "Hedonic Estimates of Regional Constant Quality House Prices," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 19(3), pages 235-253.
- William N. Goetzmann & Liang Peng, 2001.
"The Bias of the RSR Estimator and the Accuracy of Some Alternatives,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0270, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William N. Goetzmann & Liang Peng, 2002. "The Bias of the RSR Estimator and the Accuracy of Some Alternatives," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 30(1), pages 13-39.
- William Goetzmann & Liang Peng, 2001. "The Bias of the RSR Estimator and the Accuracy of Some Alternatives," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm174, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Mar 2001.
- Anthony Pennington-Cross, 2005. "Aggregation bias and the repeat sales price index," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Real estate indicators and financial stability, volume 21, pages 323-335 Bank for International Settlements.
- Dubé, Jean & Rosiers, François Des & Thériault, Marius & Dib, Patricia, 2011. "Economic impact of a supply change in mass transit in urban areas: A Canadian example," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 46-62, January.
- Song Shi & Martin Young & Bob Hargreaves, 2010. "House Price-Volume Dynamics: Evidence from 12 Cities in New Zealand," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 32(1), pages 75-100.
- Shi, Song & Young, Martin & Hargreaves, Bob, 2009. "Issues in measuring a monthly house price index in New Zealand," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 336-350, December.
- Kathryn Graddy & Jonathan Hamilton & Rachel Pownall, 2012.
"Repeat‐Sales Indexes: Estimation without Assuming that Errors in Asset Returns Are Independently Distributed,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 40(1), pages 131-166, 03.
- Campbell, Rachel & Graddy, Kathryn & Hamilton, Jonathan, 2009. "Repeat Sales Indexes: Estimation Without Assuming that Errors in Asset Returns Are Independently Distributed," CEPR Discussion Papers 7344, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yongheng Deng & John Quigley, 2008.
"Index Revision, House Price Risk, and the Market for House Price Derivatives,"
The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics,
Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 191-209, October.
- Deng, Yongheng & Quigley, John M., 2008. "Index Revision, House Price Risk, and the Market for House Price Derivatives," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt4sw0x30t, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Andre H. Gao & George H. K. Wang, 2007. "Multiple Transactions Model: A Panel Data Approach to Estimate Housing Market Indices," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 29(3), pages 241-266.
- Eric Thompson & David Rosenbaum & Benjamin Schmitz, 2011. "Property values on the plains: the impact of historic preservation," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 47(2), pages 477-491, October.
- Clapham, Eric & Englund, Peter & Quigley, John M. & Redfearn, Christian L., 2007.
"Revisiting the Past and Settling the Score: Index Revision for House Price Derivatives,"
Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series
qt1m2340dt, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Eric Clapham & Peter Englund & John M. Quigley & Christian L. Redfearn, 2006. "Revisiting the Past and Settling the Score: Index Revision for House Price Derivatives," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 34(2), pages 275-302, 06.
- S. Jansen & P. Vries & H. Coolen & C. Lamain & P. Boelhouwer, 2008. "Developing a House Price Index for The Netherlands: A Practical Application of Weighted Repeat Sales," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 163-186, August.
- Tyler Yang & Che-Chun Lin & Man Cho, 2011. "Collateral Risk in Residential Mortgage Defaults," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 42(2), pages 115-142, February.
- de Vries, Paul & de Haan, Jan & van der Wal, Erna & Mariën, Gust, 2009. "A house price index based on the SPAR method," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 214-223, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.