Capitalization of Parent, School, and Peer Group Components of School Quality into House Price
AbstractWe decompose school proficiency test scores into their parent, peer group, and school input components to see which are valued by the housing market. The value-added model proposes that only locationally fixed district-specific factors such as inputs to schooling and the characteristics of student peers are capitalized into house prices. This model claims that portable inputs to student outcomes, such as parental contributions, are not capitalized. A competing model argues that value-added is not easily observed; rather, educational outcomes such as proficiency test scores are easily observed and are capitalized into house prices. Based on our study of 123 school districts and 27,000 house transactions, we find little support for the value-added model. Instead, we find that households value a district’s average proficiency test scores. The primary component of the proficiency test score that is capitalized into house prices is the parental input component. The peer group component is also valued, but less strongly. The school input component is not valued.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Louisiana State University in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 2005-04.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Epple, Dennis & Romano, Richard E, 1998. "Competition between Private and Public Schools, Vouchers, and Peer-Group Effects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 33-62, March.
- Kathy J. Hayes & Lori L. Taylor, 1996. "Neighborhood school characteristics: what signals quality to homebuyers?," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Q IV, pages 2-9.
- Ron W Zimmer & Eugenia F Toma, 2000. "Peer effects in private and public schools across countries," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(1), pages 75-92.
- Julian R. Betts & Darlene Morell, 1999. "The Determinants of Undergraduate Grade Point Average: The Relative Importance of Family Background, High School Resources, and Peer Group Effects," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 34(2), pages 268-293.
- Hanushek, E.A.omson, W., 1996. "Assessing the Effects of School Resources on Student Performance : An Update," RCER Working Papers 424, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Rosen, Harvey S & Fullerton, David J, 1977. "A Note on Local Tax Rates, Public Benefit Levels, and Property Values," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(2), pages 433-40, April.
- David Brasington, 2002. "Differences in the Production of Education Across Regions and Urban and Rural Areas," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(2), pages 137-145.
- R. Kelley Pace, 1998. "Total Grid Estimation," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 15(1), pages 101-114.
- Mingche M. Li & H. James Brown, 1980. "Micro-Neighborhood Externalities and Hedonic Housing Prices," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 56(2), pages 125-141.
- Sonstelie, Jon C. & Portney, Paul R., 1980. "Gross rents and market values: Testing the implications of Tiebout's hypothesis," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 102-118, January.
- Haurin, Donald R. & Brasington, David, 1996. "School Quality and Real House Prices: Inter- and Intrametropolitan Effects," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 351-368, December.
- H. Spencer Banzhaf & Randall Walsh, 1999. "The Role of Optimizing Behavior in Willingness-to-Pay Estimates for Air Quality," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1112-1117.
- Kelley Pace, R. & Barry, Ronald, 1997. "Sparse spatial autoregressions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 291-297, May.
- G. Donald Jud & James M. Watts, 1981. "Schools and Housing Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 57(3), pages 459-470.
- Sandra E. Black, 1999.
"Do Better Schools Matter? Parental Valuation Of Elementary Education,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 114(2), pages 577-599, May.
- Sandra E. Black, 1997. "Do better schools matter? Parental valuation of elementary education," Research Paper 9729, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Hunt-McCool, Janet & Bishop, Dawn M., 1998. "Health economics and the economics of education: specialization and division of labor," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 237-244, June.
- David M. Brasington, 2002. "The Demand for Local Public Goods: The Case of Public School Quality," Public Finance Review, , vol. 30(3), pages 163-187, May.
- Pace, R Kelley & Barry, Ronald & Sirmans, C F, 1998.
"Spatial Statistics and Real Estate,"
The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics,
Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 5-13, July.
- Evans, William N & Oates, Wallace E & Schwab, Robert M, 1992. "Measuring Peer Group Effects: A Study of Teenage Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 966-91, October.
- Eric A. Hanushek, 1979. "Conceptual and Empirical Issues in the Estimation of Educational Production Functions," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 14(3), pages 351-388.
- Batista Gomes, J. & Hanushek, E.A. & Helio Leite, R., 1992.
"Health and Schooling: Evidence and Policy Implications for Developping Countries,"
RCER Working Papers
306, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Gomes-Neto, Joao Batista & Hanushek, Eric A. & Leite, Raimundo Helio & Frota-Bezzera, Roberto Claudio, 1997. "Health and schooling: Evidence and policy implications for developing countries," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 271-282, June.
- Kelley Pace, R., 1997. "Performing large spatial regressions and autoregressions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 283-291, July.
- Michel Glower & Donald R. Haurin & Patric H. Hendershott, 1998. "Selling Time and Selling Price: The Influence of Seller Motivation," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 26(4), pages 719-740.
- Bolduc, Denis & Laferriere, Richard & Santarossa, Gino, 1992. "Spatial autoregressive error components in travel flow models," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 371-385, September.
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1992. "The Trade-Off between Child Quantity and Quality," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(1), pages 84-117, February.
- Meyer, Robert H., 1997. "Value-added indicators of school performance: A primer," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 283-301, June.
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1986. "The Economics of Schooling: Production and Efficiency in Public Schools," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 24(3), pages 1141-77, September.
- Mark R. Rosenzweig & Kenneth I. Wolpin, 1994. "Are There Increasing Returns to the Intergenerational Production of Human Capital? Maternal Schooling and Child Intellectual Achievement," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 29(2), pages 670-693.
- David M. Brasington, 2000. "Demand and Supply of Public School Quality in Metropolitan Areas: The Role of Private Schools," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 583-605.
- Goodman, Allen C. & Thibodeau, Thomas G., 1998. "Housing Market Segmentation," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 121-143, June.
- Figlio, David N., 1999. "Functional form and the estimated effects of school resources," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 241-252, April.
- Eric A. Hanushek & Lori L. Taylor, 1990. "Alternative Assessments of the Performance of Schools: Measurement of State Variations in Achievement," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 25(2), pages 179-201.
- Summers, Anita A & Wolfe, Barbara L, 1977. "Do Schools Make a Difference?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 639-52, September.
- Altonji, Joseph G & Dunn, Thomas A, 1996.
"Using Siblings to Estimate the Effect of School Quality on Wages,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(4), pages 665-71, November.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Thomas A. Dunn, . "Using Siblings to Estimate the Effect of School Quality on Wages," IPR working papers 96-10, Institute for Policy Resarch at Northwestern University.
- Oates, Wallace E, 1969. "The Effects of Property Taxes and Local Public Spending on Property Values: An Empirical Study of Tax Capitalization and the Tiebout Hypothesis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(6), pages 957-71, Nov./Dec..
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Henderson, Vernon & Mieszkowski, Peter & Sauvageau, Yvon, 1978. "Peer group effects and educational production functions," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 97-106, August.
- LeSage, James P., 1997. "Regression Analysis of Spatial Data," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 27(2).
- David M. Brasington, 1999. "Which Measures of School Quality Does the Housing Market Value?," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 18(3), pages 395-414.
- Eric J. Brunner & Jennifer Imazeki, 2006. "Tiebout Choice and the Voucher," Working papers 2006-10, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Eric Brunner & Jennifer Imazeki & Stephen L. Ross, 2006. "Universal Vouchers and Racial Segregation," Working papers 2006-01, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised Aug 2008.
- Theodore M. Crone, 2006. "Capitalization of the quality of local public schools: what do home buyers value?," Working Papers 06-15, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.