Learning from trade through innovation: Causal link between imports, exports and innovation in Spanish microdata
AbstractThe paper explores the learning from trade hypothesis. Standardized research approach searchs for learning eÂ¤ects from trade focusing solely on exports, whereby Â…rmÂ’s learning eÂ¤ects are accounted in the form of total factor productivity improvements. In contrast, this papers deÂ…nes a Â…rm learning from trade in terms of introduction of either new products or processes induced by its import and export links with foreign markets. By using microdata for a large sample of Spanish Â…rms, including data on innovation and trade, we Â…nd clear sequencing between imports, exports and innovation. The results suggest that Â…rms learn primarily from import links, which enables them to innovate products and processes and to dress up for starting to export. In a sequence, exporting may enable Â…rms to introduce further innovations. These positive learning eÂ¤ects from trade, however, seem to be limited to small and partially medium Â…rms only. On the other side, Â…rms that are closer to the relevant technological frontier seem to beneÂ…t more from trading activities in terms of innovation than the technological laggard fiÂ…rms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven in its series LICOS Discussion Papers with number 26410.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: De Bériotstraat 34, B-3000 Leuven
Phone: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6598
Fax: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6599
Web page: http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/licos
More information through EDIRC
Â…rm heterogeneity; innovation; exports; imports; matching;
Other versions of this item:
- Damijan, Joze & Kostevc, Crt, 2010. "Learning from trade through innovation: causal link between imports, exports and innovation in Spanish microdata," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/284209, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parisi, Maria Laura & Schiantarelli, Fabio & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2006. "Productivity, innovation and R&D: Micro evidence for Italy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(8), pages 2037-2061, November.
- Bertschek, Irene, 1995. "Product and Process Innovation as a Response to Increasing Import and Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(4), pages 341-57, December.
- Van Beveren, Ilke & Vandenbussche, Hylke, 2009. "Product and process innovation and the decision to export," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/254512, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Ebling, Günther & Janz, Norbert, 1999. "Export and innovation activities in the German service sector: empirical evidence at the firm level," ZEW Discussion Papers 99-53, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Jože P. Damijan & Jozef Konings & Sašo Polanec, 2012.
"Import Churning and Export Performance of Multi-Product Firms,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
30712, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Damijan, Joze & Konings, Joep & Polanec, Saso, 2012. "Import churning and export performance of multi-product firms," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/349304, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Joachim Wagner, 2012.
"International trade and firm performance: a survey of empirical studies since 2006,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 148(2), pages 235-267, June.
- Joachim Wagner, 2011. "International Trade and Firm Performance: A Survey of Empirical Studies since 2006," Working Paper Series in Economics 210, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2011. "International Trade and Firm Performance: A Survey of Empirical Studies since 2006," IZA Discussion Papers 5916, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Grubljesic, Tanja & Damijan, Joze, 2011. "Differences in Export Behavior of Services and Manufacturing Firms in Slovenia," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/319538, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Martijn A. Boermans & Hein Roelfsema, 2012. "The Effects of Internationalization on Innovation: Firm-Level Evidence for Transition Economies," Working Papers 12-04, Utrecht School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.