Product and process innovation and firms' decision to export
AbstractWe analyze the relationship between firm-level innovation activities and firms' propensity to start exporting for firms in a small open economy. We measure innovation by innovative effort (R&D) as well as by innovative output (product and process innovation). After carefully correcting for endogeneity and selection issues, the evidence points to firms self-selecting into innovation in anticipation of their entry into export markets, rather than product and process innovation triggering entry into the export market. These results suggest that governments can foster firm-level innovation through trade liberalization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Economic Policy Reform.
Volume (Year): 13 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GPRE19
Other versions of this item:
- Ilke Van Beveren & Hylke Vandenbussche, 2010. "Product and process innovation and firms' decision to export," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 3-24.
- VAN BEVEREN, Ilke & VANDEBUSSCHE, Hylke, . "Product and process innovation and firms' decision to export," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2196, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Vanbeveren, Ilke & Vandenbussche, Hylke, 2010. "Product and Process Innovation and Firms’ decision to Export," CEPR Discussion Papers 7846, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alfons PALANGKARAYA, 2012. "The Link between Innovation and Export: Evidence from Australiafs Small and Medium Enterprises," Working Papers DP-2012-08, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Silviano Esteve-Pérez & Diego Rodríguez, 2013. "The dynamics of exports and R&D in SMEs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 219-240, June.
- Massimiliano Bratti & Giulia Felice, 2011.
"Are Exporters More Likely to Introduce Product Innovations?,"
Development Working Papers
306, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano, revised 09 May 2011.
- Massimiliano Bratti & Giulia Felice, 2012. "Are Exporters More Likely to Introduce Product Innovations?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(11), pages 1559-1598, November.
- Giovanni Dosi & Marco Grazzi & Daniele Moschella, 2014.
"Technology and costs in international competitiveness: from countries and sectors to firms,"
LEM Papers Series
2014/10, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- G. Dosi & M. Grazzi & D. Moschella, 2014. "Technology and costs in international competitiveness: from countries and sectors to firms," Working Papers wp941, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- JoÅ¾e.P.Damijan & ÄŒrt. Kostevc, 2010. "Learning from trade through innovation: Causal link between imports, exports and innovation in Spanish microdata," LICOS Discussion Papers 26410, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Alessia LO TURCO & Daniela MAGGIONI, 2013. "Dissecting the impact of innovation on exporting in Turkey," Working Papers 388, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Gazaniol, Alexandre, 2011. "The Innovativity of Global Firms : Evidence from French Manufacturers," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6060, Paris Dauphine University.
- Kaz Miyagiwa & Aminata Sissoko, 2013. "The free-rider problem and the optimal duration of research joint ventures: theory and evidence from the Eureka program," Working Papers 1302, Florida International University, Department of Economics.
- Alessia LO TURCO & Daniela MAGGIONI, 2012. "Imports, exports and the firm product scope: evidence from Turkey," Working Papers 384, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Wastyn, Annelies, 2010. "Competing internationally: On the importance of R&D for export activity," ZEW Discussion Papers 10-071, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Richard Harris & John Moffat, 2011.
"R&D, Innovation and Exporting,"
SERC Discussion Papers
0073, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.