Stability of Production Networks in East Asia: Duration and Survival of Trade
AbstractThis paper sheds light on the stability of international production networks in East Asia from the perspective of the duration and survival of bilateral trade relationships at the product-line level. Using highly disaggregated data for intra-East Asian machinery trade, survival analysis is conducted as well as the examinations of the duration and volatility of trade relationships. The product-level analyses reveal that machinery parts and components are traded through more stable and longer-lived relationships among East Asian countries, compared to final products. Once transactions are started, trade relationships of machinery parts and components are more likely to be maintained between countries even at a long distance, regardless of the exchange-rate fluctuations. Trade relationships of machinery final products, on the other hand, are more likely to be sensitive to the level of trading cost as well as the exchange-rate fluctuations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program in its series Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series with number 2008-002.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2-15-45, Mita, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8345
Web page: http://ies.keio.ac.jp/old_project/old/gcoe-econbus/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Obashi, Ayako, 2010. "Stability of production networks in East Asia: Duration and survival of trade," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 21-30, January.
- Ayako OBASHI, 2009. "Stability of Production Networks in East Asia: Duration and Survival of Trade," Working Papers d006, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mitsuyo Ando & Fukunari Kimura, 2005.
"The Formation of International Production and Distribution Networks in East Asia,"
in: International Trade in East Asia, NBER-East Asia Seminar on Economics, Volume 14, pages 177-216
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitsuyo Ando & Fukinari Kimura, 2003. "The Formation of International Production and Distribution Networks in East Asia," NBER Working Papers 10167, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kimura, Fukunari & Ando, Mitsuyo, 2005. "Two-dimensional fragmentation in East Asia: Conceptual framework and empirics," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 317-348.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 2001.
"Fragmentation in simple trade models,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 121-137, July.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra & Yamashita, Nobuaki, 2006.
"Production fragmentation and trade integration: East Asia in a global context,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 233-256, December.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Nobuaki Yamashita, 2005. "Production Fragmentation and Trade Integration: East Asia in a Global Context," Departmental Working Papers 2005-07, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 2002.
"Managerial Incentives and the International Organization of Production,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1987, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Grossman, Gene M. & Helpman, Elhanan, 2004. "Managerial incentives and the international organization of production," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 237-262, July.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 2002. "Managerial Incentives and the International Organization of Production," Working Papers 147, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Discussion Papers in Economics..
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan, 2003. "Managerial Incentives and the International Organization of Production," CEPR Discussion Papers 3737, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elhanan Helpman & Gene M. Grossman, 2002. "Managerial Incentives and the International Organization of Production," NBER Working Papers 9403, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tibor Besedes & Thomas Prusa, 2006. "Ins, outs, and the duration of trade," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 39(1), pages 266-295, February.
- Besedes, Tibor & Prusa, Thomas J., 2006. "Product differentiation and duration of US import trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 339-358, December.
- Volker Nitsch, 2009.
"Die another day: duration in German import trade,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 145(1), pages 133-154, April.
- Volker Nitsch, 2007. "Die Another Day: Duration in German Import Trade," DEGIT Conference Papers c012_037, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Nitsch, Volker, 2008. "Die another day: duration in German import trade," Discussion Papers 2008/17, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Volker Nitsch, 2007. "Die Another Day: Duration in German Import Trade," CESifo Working Paper Series 2085, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fukunari KIMURA, 2006. "International Production and Distribution Networks in East Asia: Eighteen Facts, Mechanics, and Policy Implications," Asian Economic Policy Review, Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 1(2), pages 326-344.
- Fukao, Kyoji & Ishido, Hikari & Ito, Keiko, 2003.
"Vertical intra-industry trade and foreign direct investment in East Asia,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 468-506, December.
- Fukao, Kyoji & Ishido, Hikari & Ito, Keiko, 2003. "Vertical Intra-Industry Trade and Foreign Direct Investment in East Asia," Discussion Paper Series a434, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Kyoji Fukao & Hikari Ishido & Keiko Ito, 2003. "Vertical Intra-Industry Trade and Foreign Direct Investment in East Asia," Discussion papers 03001, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Sven Arndt, 2002. "Production Sharing and Regional Integration," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2002-10, Claremont Colleges.
- Tibor Besedeš, 2008. "A Search Cost Perspective on Formation and Duration of Trade," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(5), pages 835-849, November.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 2002. "Integration Versus Outsourcing In Industry Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 117(1), pages 85-120, February.
- Arndt, Sven W. & Kierzkowski, Henryk (ed.), 2001. "Fragmentation: New Production Patterns in the World Economy," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199243310, September.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Global COE Program Office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.