Investment, Production and Trade Networks as Drivers of East Asian Integration
AbstractThis paper shows that foreign direct investment (FDI), production and trade networks have been a principal driver of East Asian integration. A key element in this has been the role of production sharing, in which different stages of the production process are dispersed across countries in the region. The rise of such patterns of production has been facilitated by the unilateral liberalization of trade and investment by governments in the region to attract FDI. However, liberalization and the resulting pattern of regional integration have been heavily concentrated in a select number of industries (led by electrical machinery) and are largely confined to a particular form of supply]side integration (production sharing), and the region continues to depend on external demand.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series with number gd09-117.
Date of creation: Feb 2010
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-03-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2010-03-13 (International Trade)
- NEP-SEA-2010-03-13 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fukao, Kyoji & Ishido, Hikari & Ito, Keiko, 2003.
"Vertical Intra-Industry Trade and Foreign Direct Investment in East Asia,"
Discussion Paper Series
a434, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Fukao, Kyoji & Ishido, Hikari & Ito, Keiko, 2003. "Vertical intra-industry trade and foreign direct investment in East Asia," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 468-506, December.
- Kyoji Fukao & Hikari Ishido & Keiko Ito, 2003. "Vertical Intra-Industry Trade and Foreign Direct Investment in East Asia," Discussion papers 03001, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Kimura, Fukunari & Takahashi, Yuya & Hayakawa, Kazunobu, 2007. "Fragmentation and parts and components trade: Comparison between East Asia and Europe," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 23-40, February.
- Kimura, Fukunari & Ando, Mitsuyo, 2005. "Two-dimensional fragmentation in East Asia: Conceptual framework and empirics," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 317-348.
- Toshiyuki Matsuura & Kazuyuki Motohashi & Kazunobu Hayakawa, 2009. "How Does FDI Affect Performance at Home? An Activity-level Analysis for Japanese Electrical Machinery and Electronics Firms," Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series 2009-002, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
- Fukunari Kimura & Kazunobu Hayakawa & Zheng Ji, 2008. "Does International Fragmentation Occur in Sectors Other Than Machinery? ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 22(4), pages 343-358, December.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Nobuaki Yamashita, 2005.
"Production Fragmentation and Trade Integration: East Asia in a Global Context,"
Departmental Working Papers
2005-07, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra & Yamashita, Nobuaki, 2006. "Production fragmentation and trade integration: East Asia in a global context," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 233-256, December.
- Mitsuyo Ando & Fukinari Kimura, 2003.
"The Formation of International Production and Distribution Networks in East Asia,"
NBER Working Papers
10167, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitsuyo Ando & Fukunari Kimura, 2005. "The Formation of International Production and Distribution Networks in East Asia," NBER Chapters, in: International Trade in East Asia, NBER-East Asia Seminar on Economics, Volume 14, pages 177-216 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sanghoon Ahn & Kyoji Fukao & Keiko Ito, 2008. "Outsourcing in East Asia and its impact on the Japanese and Korean Labour Markets," OECD Trade Policy Papers 65, OECD Publishing.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.