The Microstructure of the Great Export Collapse in German Manufacturing Industries, 2008/2009
AbstractThis paper uses comprehensive high-quality panel data from official statistics for exporting enterprises to investigate the micro-structure of the recent export collapse in manufacturing industries in Germany during the crisis of 2008/2009. Almost all of the decline in exports was due to negative changes of exports in firms that continue to export (i.e. at the so-called intensive margin) while the decrease of exports due to export stoppers (at the so-called extensive margin) was tiny. It is shown that Idiosyncratic shocks to very large firms played a decisive role in shaping the export collapse.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 6393.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: published in: Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Vol 7, 2013-5
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- Joachim Wagner, 2012. "The Microstructure of the Great Export Collapse in German Manufacturing Industries, 2008/2009," Working Paper Series in Economics 233, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-21 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan Eaton & Sam Kortum & Brent Neiman & John Romalis, 2010.
"Trade and the global recession,"
Working Paper Research
196, National Bank of Belgium.
- Sam Kortum & John Romalis & Brent Neiman & Jonathan Eaton, 2010. "Trade and the Global Recession," 2010 Meeting Papers 1340, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jonathan Eaton & Samuel Kortum & Brent Neiman & John Romalis, 2011. "Trade and the Global Recession," NBER Working Papers 16666, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Samuel S. Kortum & Jonathan Eaton & Brent Neiman & John Romalis, 2010. "Trade and the Global Recession," DEGIT Conference Papers c015_002, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Kristian Behrens & Gregory Corcos & Giordano Mion, 2011.
"Trade Crisis ? What Trade Crisis ?,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Kristian Behrens & Gregory Corcos & Giordano Mion, 2010. "Trade Crisis? What Trade Crisis?," CEP Discussion Papers dp0995, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Giordano Mion, 2011. "Trade crisis - what trade crisis?," CentrePiece - The Magazine for Economic Performance 336, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Kristian Behrens & Gregory Corcos & Giordano Mion, 2010. "Trade crisis ? What trade crisis ?," Working Paper Research 195, National Bank of Belgium.
- Behrens, Kristian & Corcos, Gregory & Mion, Giordano, 2010. "Trade Crisis? What Trade Crisis?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7956, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bricongne, Jean-Charles & Fontagné, Lionel & Gaulier, Guillaume & Taglioni, Daria & Vicard, Vincent, 2010. "Exports and sectoral financial dependence: evidence on French firms during the great global crisis," Working Paper Series 1227, European Central Bank.
- Xavier Gabaix, 2011.
"The Granular Origins of Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 79(3), pages 733-772, 05.
- Lawless, Martina, 2007.
"Firm Export Dynamics and the Geography of Trade,"
10008, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Xavier Gabaix & Rustam Ibragimov, 2007. "Rank-1/2: A Simple Way to Improve the OLS Estimation of Tail Exponents," NBER Technical Working Papers 0342, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juan de Lucio & Ra�l Mínguez-Fuentes & Asier Minondo & Francisco Requena-Silvente, 2011. "The extensive and intensive margins of Spanish trade," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(5), pages 615-631, January.
- Stephen J. Redding, 2010.
"Theories of Heterogeneous Firms and Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
16562, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joachim Wagner, 2008. "A note on why more West than East German firms export," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 363-370, December.
- Xavier Gabaix, 2008.
"Power Laws in Economics and Finance,"
NBER Working Papers
14299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas William Dorsey & Mika Saito & Armine Khachatryan & Irena Asmundson & Ioana Niculcea, 2011. "Trade and Trade Finance in the 2008-09 Financial Crisis," IMF Working Papers 11/16, International Monetary Fund.
- Jonathan Eaton & Marcela Eslava & Maurice Kugler & James Tybout, 2007.
"Export Dynamics in Colombia:Firm-Level Evidence,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
003957, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Jonathan Eaton & Marcela Eslava & Maurice Kugler & James Tybout, 2007. "Export Dynamics in Colombia: Firm-Level Evidence," NBER Working Papers 13531, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Eaton, Marcela Eslava, Maurice Kugler,James Tybout, 1970. "Export Dynamics in Colombia: Firm-Level Evidence," Working Papers eg0036, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics, revised 1970.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Eslava, Marcela & Kugler, Maurice & Tybout, James, 2007. "Export Dynamics in Colombia: Firm-Level Evidence," Working Paper Series rwp07-050, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Jonathan Eaton, Marcela Eslava, Maurice Kugler, and James Tybout, 2007. "Export Dynamics in Colombia: Firm-Level Evidence," Working Papers eg0038, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics, revised 2007.
- di Mauro, Filippo & Forster, Katrin & Lima, Ana, 2010. "The global downturn and its impact on euro area exports and competitiveness," Occasional Paper Series 119, European Central Bank.
- Anne Marie Gleeson & Frances Ruane, 2007. "Irish Manufacturing Export Dynamics: Evidence of Exporter Heterogeneity in Boom and Slump Periods," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 143(2), pages 375-388, July.
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Carlo Altomonte & Daniel Horgos & Daniela Maggioni, . "The global operations of European firms - The second EFIGE policy report," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 581, December.
- Haddad, Mona & Harrison, Ann & Hausman, Catherine, 2011.
"Decomposing the great trade collapse : products, prices, and quantities in the 2008-2009 crisis,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5749, The World Bank.
- Mona Haddad & Ann Harrison & Catherine Hausman, 2010. "Decomposing the Great Trade Collapse: Products, Prices, and Quantities in the 2008-2009 Crisis," NBER Working Papers 16253, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jyrki Ali-Yrkkö & Neil Foster-McGregor & Doris Hanzl-Weiss & Petri Rouvinen & Timo Seppälä & Robert Stehrer & Roman Stöllinger & Pekka Ylä-Anttila, 2011. "Trade in Intermediate Products and EU Manufacturing Supply Chains," wiiw Research Reports 369, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Vincenzo Verardi & Christophe Croux, 2009. "Robust regression in Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 9(3), pages 439-453, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.