Exports and sectoral financial dependence: evidence on French firms during the great global crisis
AbstractThe unprecedented drop in international trade during the last quarter of 2008 and the first quarter of 2009 has mainly been analysed at the macroeconomic or sectoral level. However, exporters who are heterogeneous in terms of productivity, size or external financial dependence should be heterogeneously affected by the crisis. This issue is examined in this paper by using data on monthly exports at the product and destination level for some 100,000 individual French exporters, up to 2009M4. We show that the drop in French exports is mainly due to the intensive margin of large exporters. Small and large exporters are evenly affected when sectoral and geographical specialisations are controlled for. Lastly, exporters (small and large) in sectors structurally more dependent on external finance are the most affected by the crisis. JEL Classification: F02, F10, G01
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 1227.
Date of creation: Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F02 - International Economics - - General - - - International Economic Order; Noneconomic International Organizations;; Economic Integration and Globalization: General
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2010-07-31 (European Economics)
- NEP-IFN-2010-07-31 (International Finance)
- NEP-INT-2010-07-31 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bricongne, J-C. & Fontagné, L. & Gaulier, G. & Taglioni, D. & Vicard, V., 2009.
"Firms and the global crisis: French exports in the turmoil,"
265, Banque de France.
- Bricongne, Jean-Charles & Fontagné, Lionel & Gaulier, Guillaume & Taglioni, Daria & Vicard, Vincent, 2012. "Firms and the global crisis: French exports in the turmoil," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 134-146.
- Bricongne, Jean-Charles & Fontagné, Lionel & Gaulier, Guillaume & Taglioni, Daria & Vicard, Vincent, 2010. "Firms and the global crisis: French exports in the turmoil," Working Paper Series 1245, European Central Bank.
- Angela Cheptea & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2005.
"World Trade Competitiveness: A Disaggregated View by Shift-Share Analysis,"
2005-23, CEPII research center.
- Angela Cheptea & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2004. "The World Market: Market Shares and Export Performances," La Lettre du CEPII, CEPII research center, issue 231.
- Bussière, Matthieu & Chudik, Alexander & Sestieri, Giulia, 2009.
"Modelling global trade flows: results from a GVAR model,"
Working Paper Series
1087, European Central Bank.
- Matthieu Bussière & Alexander Chudik & Giulia Sestieri, 2012. "Modelling global trade flows: results from a GVAR model," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 119, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Matthieu Bussière & Emilia Pérez‐Barreiro & Roland Straub & Daria Taglioni, 2011.
"Protectionist Responses to the Crisis: Global Trends and Implications,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34, pages 826-852, 05.
- Bussière, Matthieu & Pérez-Barreiro, Emilia & Straub, Roland & Taglioni, Daria, 2010. "Protectionist responses to the crisis – global trends and implications," Occasional Paper Series 110, European Central Bank.
- Bussière, M. & Pérez-Barreiro, E. & Straub, R. & Taglioni, D., 2011. "Protectionist Responses to the Crisis: Global Trends and Implications," Working papers 319, Banque de France.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Yvan Decreux & Lionel Fontagné & David Khoudour-Castéras, 2009. "Economic Crisis and Global Supply Chains," Working Papers 2009-15, CEPII research center.
- Buono, Ines & Fadinger, Harald & Berger, Stefan, 2008.
"The Micro Dynamics of Exporting: Evidence from French Firms,"
12940, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ines Buono & Harald Fadinger, 2012. "The micro dynamics of exporting: evidence from French firms," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 880, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Ines Buono & Harald Fadinger & Stefan Berger, 2008. "The Micro Dynamic of Exporting-Evidence from French Firms," Vienna Economics Papers 0901, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Joachim Wagner, 2012.
"The Microstructure of the Great Export Collapse in German Manufacturing Industries, 2008/2009,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
233, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2012. "The Microstructure of the Great Export Collapse in German Manufacturing Industries, 2008/2009," IZA Discussion Papers 6393, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alessia LO TURCO & Daniela MAGGIONI, 2012. "The micro evolution of trade and turnover in Turkey under the global crisis," Working Papers 376, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2012.
"The granular nature of the great export collapse in German manufacturing industries, 2008/2009,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2012-50, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2013. "The granular nature of the great export collapse in German manufacturing industries, 2008/2009," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 7(5), pages 1-21.
- Silvio Contessi & Francesca de Nicola, 2012. "What do we know about the relationship between access to finance and international trade?," Working Papers 2012-054, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Joachim Wagner, 2013.
"Extensive margins of imports in The Great Import Recovery in Germany, 2009/2010,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
282, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Joachim Wagner, 2013. "Extensive margins of imports in the great import recovery in Germany, 2009/2010," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(4), pages 2732-2743.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2013. "Extensive margins of imports in The Great Import Recovery in Germany, 2009/2010," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 324, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.