Youth Labour Markets in Europe and Central Asia
AbstractTransition to the market economy in ECA opened up a range of potential opportunities for young people. It has also raised a series of challenges. Youth unemployment and joblessness have emerged as serious problems with the potentially very high costs. Formal Education and Training systems have been slow to adapt to the changing requirements placed upon them by the rapidly changing industrial structure arising from transition. The damage arising from on the one hand rising expectations and on the other the failure of systems to accommodate these is likely to have long-term consequences. It is important then that countries in ECA support young people in fulfilling their potential. This paper looks at developments in and around the transition of young people from education to work in the ECA region in recent years. The purpose of the paper is to aid understanding of the current situation and to suggest areas where action is most needed and is likely to be most effective. The first section considers developments in the general economic context of relevance to young people. Section 2 goes onto consider the current situation of (and trends in) factors affecting young people’s entry into work. Section 3 assesses policies affecting youth employment and unemployment and section concludes identifying key issues and areas where action is needed and where it is likely to be effective.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 5094.
Length: 79 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- I28 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Government Policy
- J08 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General - - - Labor Economics Policies
- J13 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Fertility; Family Planning; Child Care; Children; Youth
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-08-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2010-08-06 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2010-08-06 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Van Reenen, 2004.
"Active Labor Market Policies and the British New Deal for the Young Unemployed in Context,"
in: Seeking a Premier Economy: The Economic Effects of British Economic Reforms, 1980-2000, pages 461-496
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Van Reenen, 2003. "Active Labour Market Policies and the British New Deal for the Young Unemployed in Context," NBER Working Papers 9576, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert G. Fay, 1996. "Enhancing the Effectiveness of Active Labour Market Policies: Evidence from Programme Evaluations in OECD Countries," OECD Labour Market and Social Policy Occasional Papers 18, OECD Publishing.
- Canning, M. & Moock, P. & Heleniak, T., 1999. "Reforming Education in the Regions of Russia," Papers 457, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- John Micklewright & Gyula Nagy, 1998.
"The Implications of Exhausting Unemployment Insurance Entitlement in Hungary,"
Budapest Working Papers on the Labour Market
9802, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- John Micklewright & Gyula Nagy, 1997. "The Implications of Exhausting Unemployment Insurance Entitlement in Hungary," Innocenti Occasional Papers, Economic Policy Series iopeps97/8, UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006.
"Employment Patterns in OECD Countries: Reassessing the Role of Policies and Institutions,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
486, OECD Publishing.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006. "Employment Patterns in OECD Countries: Reassessing the Role of Policies and Institutions," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 35, OECD Publishing.
- Rutkowski, Jan, 2006. "Labor market developments during economic transition," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3894, The World Bank.
- Niall O'Higgins, 2003.
"Trends in the youth labour market in developing and transition countries,"
Social Protection Discussion Papers
27876, The World Bank.
- Niall O'Higgins, 2005. "Trends in the Youth Labour Market in Developing and Transition Countries," Labor and Demography 0507002, EconWPA.
- Tito Boeri & Katherine Terrell, 2001.
"Institutional Determinants of Labor Reallocation in Transition,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
384, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Tito Boeri & Katherine Terrell, 2002. "Institutional Determinants of Labor Reallocation in Transition," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 51-76, Winter.
- Barbara Sianesi & John Van Reenen, 2003. "The Returns to Education: Macroeconomics," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(2), pages 157-200, 04.
- Betcherman, Gordon & Olivas, Karina & Dar, Amit, 2004. "Impacts of active labor market programs : new evidence from evaluations with particular attention to developing and transition countries," Social Protection Discussion Papers 29142, The World Bank.
- Niall O'Higgins & Andrey Ivanov, 2006. "Education and Employment Opportunities for the Roma," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(1), pages 6-19, March.
- L.Guarcello & M. Manacorda & F. Rosati & J. Fares & S.Lyon & C. Valdivia, 2005. "School-to-Work Transitions in Sub-Saharan Africa: An overview," UCW Working Paper 15, Understanding Children's Work (UCW Programme).
- Henley, Andrew & Arabsheibani, G. Reza & Carneiro, Francisco G., 2006.
"On defining and measuring the informal sector,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3866, The World Bank.
- Glenda Quintini & Sébastien Martin, 2006. "Starting Well or Losing their Way?: The Position of Youth in the Labour Market in OECD Countries," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 39, OECD Publishing.
- Friedrich Schneider, 2006.
"Shadow Economies and Corruption all over the World: What do we really Know?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1806, CESifo Group Munich.
- Friedrich G. Schneider, 2006. "Shadow Economies and Corruption all over the World: What do we really know?," Economics working papers 2006-17, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Schneider, Friedrich G., 2007. "Shadow economies and corruption all over the world: what do we really know?," Economics Discussion Papers 2007-9, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Schneider, Friedrich, 2006. "Shadow Economies and Corruption All Over the World: What Do We Really Know?," IZA Discussion Papers 2315, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sanders Korenman & David Neumark, 1997.
"Cohort Crowding and Youth Labor Markets: A Cross-National Analysis,"
NBER Working Papers
6031, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sanders Korenman & David Neumark, 2000. "Cohort Crowding and Youth Labor Markets (A Cross-National Analysis)," NBER Chapters, in: Youth Employment and Joblessness in Advanced Countries, pages 57-106 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- World Bank, 2005. "Expanding Opportunities and Building Competencies for Young People : A New Agenda for Secondary Education," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7429, January.
- Gábor Kertei & János Köll?, 2004.
"Fighting “Low Equilibria” by Doubling the Minimum Wage ? Hungary’s Experiment,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
2004-644, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Kertesi, Gabor & Kollo, Janos, 2003. "Fighting “Low Equilibria” by Doubling the Minimum Wage? Hungary’s Experiment," IZA Discussion Papers 970, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Martin Godfrey, 2003. "Youth employment policy in developing and transition countries - preventionas well as cure," Social Protection Discussion Papers 27875, The World Bank.
- Niall O'Higgins, 2005. "The Challenge of Youth Unemployment," Labor and Demography 0507003, EconWPA.
- Fretwell, David H. & Benus, Jacob & O'Leary, Christopher J., 1999. "Evaluating the impact of active labor programs : results of cross country studies in Europe and Central Asia," Social Protection Discussion Papers 20131, The World Bank.
- Martina Lubyova & Jan C. van Ours, 1999. "Unemployment durations of job losers in a labour market in transition," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 7(3), pages 665-686, November.
- Sandrine Cazes & Stefano Scarpetta, 1998. "Labour market transitions and unemployment duration: Evidence from Bulgarian and Polish micro-data," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 6(1), pages 113-144, 05.
- O'Higgins, Niall, 2001. "Youth unemployment and employment policy: a global perspective," MPRA Paper 23698, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kolev, Alexandre & Saget, Catherine, 2005. "Towards a better understanding of the nature, causes and consequences of youth labor market disadvantage: evidence for South-East Europe," Social Protection Discussion Papers 32544, The World Bank.
- Zimmermann, Klaus F. & Biavaschi, Costanza & Eichhorst, Werner & Giulietti, Corrado & Kendzia, Michael J. & Muravyev, Alexander & Pieters, Janneke & RodrÃguez-Planas, NÃºria & Schmidl, Ricarda, 2013.
"Youth Unemployment and Vocational Training,"
Foundations and Trends(R) in Microeconomics,
now publishers, vol. 9(1â2), pages 1-157, December.
- Biavaschi, Costanza & Eichhorst, Werner & Giulietti, Corrado & Kendzia, Michael J. & Muravyev, Alexander & Pieters, Janneke & Rodríguez-Planas, Núria & Schmidl, Ricarda & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2012. "Youth Unemployment and Vocational Training," IZA Discussion Papers 6890, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jaromir Cekota & Claudia Trentini, 2011. "The educational attainment, labour market participation and living conditions of young Roma in Bulgaria, Hungary and Romania," ECE Discussion Papers Series 2011_2, UNECE.
- World Bank, 2011. "Challenges to Enterprise Performance in the Face of the Financial Crisis : Eastern Europe and Central Asia," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2316, January.
- Mariana Balan & University & Carmen-Marilena Uzlau & Hyperion University & Corina Maria Ene Hyperion University, 2012. "Evolutions Of Unemployment Among The Young Over The Economic And Financial Downturn," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 1(14), pages 16.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.