Trends in the Youth Labour Market in Developing and Transition Countries
AbstractThis paper looks at youth labour market trends concentrating on developing and transition countries. Questions relating to the integration of young people into decent work have in recent times once again begun to occupy a central position in Government Policy issues. Recently co-ordinated efforts also at the international level have begun to make themselves felt. In particular, on the initiative of Kofi Annan, UN Secretary-General, the Youth Employment Network (YEN) was established. This is a joint effort of the United nations, the World Bank and the ILO and has provided a focus for the work of these organisations on problems related to youth employment and unemployment. This paper aims to provide a contribution to debate on the issues by giving an overview of trends in the youth labour market, principally in Transition and developing countries. After giving an outline of the paper, some basic definitional issues are dealt with. In section two, the paper then looks at long-run trends in some broad aggregates relevant to youth labour markets. The section discusses long-run movements in population and population share, labour force and labour force participation, education and child labour. The third section then considers labour market outcomes. The discussion centres on which and whose outcomes are appropriate to examine as well as their determinants. The fourth, concluding section draws out some of the implications of the preceding analysis for policy, research and data collection purposes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Labor and Demography with number 0507002.
Length: 52 pages
Date of creation: 06 Jul 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 52
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://18.104.22.168
youth labour markets; youth unemployment; youth lòabour force participation; youth employment;
Other versions of this item:
- Niall O'Higgins, 2003. "Trends in the youth labour market in developing and transition countries," Social Protection Discussion Papers 27876, The World Bank.
- J13 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Fertility; Family Planning; Child Care; Children; Youth
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-07-11 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Gordon, 1981. "Inflation, Flexible Exchange Rates, and the Natural Rate of Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 0708, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gregg, Paul, 2001. "The Impact of Youth Unemployment on Adult Unemployment in the NCDS," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(475), pages F626-53, November.
- Niall O'Higgins, 2005. "The Challenge of Youth Unemployment," Labor and Demography 0507003, EconWPA.
- repec:ilo:ilowps:377582 is not listed on IDEAS
- Niall O’Higgins, 2004. "Recent Trends in Youth Labour Markets and Youth Employment Policy in Europe and Central Asia," CELPE Discussion Papers 85, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Justesen, Michael, 2008. "Is the window of opportunity closing for Brazilian youth? Labor market trends and business cycle effects," Social Protection Discussion Papers 47188, The World Bank.
- L.Guarcello & M. Manacorda & F. Rosati & J. Fares & S.Lyon & C. Valdivia, 2005. "School-to-Work Transitions in Sub-Saharan Africa: An overview," UCW Working Paper 15, Understanding Children's Work (UCW Programme).
- Caroleo Floro Ernesto & Pastore Francesco, 2009.
"Le cause del(l') (in)successo lavorativo dei giovani,"
Economia & lavoro,
Carocci editore, issue 3, pages 107.
- Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Francesco Pastore, 2009. "Le cause del(l)'(in)successo lavorativo dei giovani," Economia & Lavoro, Fondazione Giacomo Brodolini, issue 3, pages 107.
- Caroleo, Floro Ernesto & Pastore, Francesco, 2009.
"Le cause del (l’in-)successo lavorativo dei giovani
[The determinants of youth success in the labour market]," MPRA Paper 14218, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kolev, Alexandre & Saget, Catherine, 2005. "Towards a better understanding of the nature, causes and consequences of youth labor market disadvantage: evidence for South-East Europe," Social Protection Discussion Papers 32544, The World Bank.
- Misbah Tanveer Choudhry & Enrico Marelli & Marcello Signorelli, 2010. "The Impact of Financial Crises on Youth Unemployment Rate," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 79/2010, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Francesco Pastore, 2009.
"School-to-Work Transitions in Mongolia,"
European Journal of Comparative Economics,
Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 6(2), pages 245-264, December.
- Görlich, Dennis & Stepanok, Ignat & Al-Hussami, Fares, 2013. "Youth unemployment in Europe and the world: Causes, consequences and solutions," Kiel Policy Brief 59, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- O'Higgins, Niall, 2010.
"Youth Labour Markets in Europe and Central Asia,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5094, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olga Demidova & Marcello Signorelli, 2010. "The Impact of Crises on Youth Unemployment of Russian Regions: An Empirical Analysis," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 78/2010, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Misbah Tanveer Choudhry & Enrico Marelli & Marcello Signorelli, 2012. "Youth unemployment rate and impact of financial crises," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(1), pages 76-95, June.
- World Bank, 2007. "Armenia - Labor Market Dynamics : Volume 2. Main Report," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7846, The World Bank.
- Shane Niall, OHiggins, 2006. "Still With us After all of These Years: Trends in Youth Labour Market Entry, Home-Leaving And Human Capital Accumulation in Italy 1993-2003," CELPE Discussion Papers 99, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Fares, Jean & Montenegro, Claudio E. & Orazem, Peter F., 2006. "How are youth faring in the labor market ? Evidence from around the world," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4071, The World Bank.
- Dario Sciulli & Marcello Signorelli, 2010. "University-to-work transitions: the case of Perugia," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 77/2010, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Asad Alam & Mamta Murthi & Ruslan Yemtsov & Edmundo Murrugarra & Nora Dudwick & Ellen Hamilton & Erwin Tiongson, 2005. "Growth, Poverty and Inequality : Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7287, August.
- Betcherman, Gordon & Olivas, Karina & Dar, Amit, 2004. "Impacts of active labor market programs : new evidence from evaluations with particular attention to developing and transition countries," Social Protection Discussion Papers 29142, The World Bank.
- Pastore, Francesco, 2007. "Employment and Education Policy for Young People in the EU: What Can New Member States Learn from Old Member States?," IZA Discussion Papers 3209, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.