The educational attainment, labour market participation and living conditions of young Roma in Bulgaria, Hungary and Romania
AbstractThis paper investigates the educational attainment, labour market participation and living conditions of young Roma adults in Bulgaria, Hungary and Romania based on data from the generations and gender surveys and other sources of information. It shows that in spite of a small improvement in the educational attainment of young Roma in comparison to the generation of their parents, the educational achievement and employment gaps have increased considerably during the post-communist period. The paper also compares living conditions of the Roma with other population groups. It concludes with a discussion of policy challenges.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNECE in its series ECE Discussion Papers Series with number 2011_2.
Length: 45 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in United Nations ECE Discussion Paper Series, No. 2011_2
minorities; Roma; discrimination; employment; education; transition;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I24 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Education and Inequality
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
- J15 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Minorities, Races, Indigenous Peoples, and Immigrants; Non-labor Discrimination
- J71 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Discrimination - - - Hiring and Firing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2011-11-21 (Education)
- NEP-EUR-2011-11-21 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-LAB-2011-11-21 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2011-11-21 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Burns & Jaromir Cekota, 2002. "Coping with Population Ageing in Hungary," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 338, OECD Publishing.
- O'Higgins, Niall, 2010. "Youth Labour Markets in Europe and Central Asia," IZA Discussion Papers 5094, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Niall O'Higgins & Andrey Ivanov, 2006. "Education and Employment Opportunities for the Roma," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(1), pages 6-19, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Shelburne).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.