Asian Competitive Devaluations
AbstractIn this paper we examine three issues. The first is the path of China's nominal and real exchange rates since 1990. As it turns out, this is more complicated than is commonly assumed, with basic results exhibiting sensitivity to the exchange rate measure used. We conclude that while China did experience a large nominal depreciation, its much higher relative inflation eroded this devaluation, and in real terms the reminbi has actually appreciated during the 1990s. The Chinese devaluation was at best a contributing factor to the Asian financial crises, not their primary cause.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Peterson Institute for International Economics in its series Working Paper Series with number wp98-2.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-02-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-MON-2011-02-26 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2011-02-26 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ramkishen S. Rejan, 1998. "The Currency And Financial Crisis In Southeast Asia - A Case Of `Sudden Deathã¢Â‚¬Â„¢ Or `Death Foretoldã¢Â‚¬Â„¢," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22381, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pesenti, Paolo & Roubini, Nouriel, 1999.
"What caused the Asian currency and financial crisis?,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 305-373, October.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti & Nouriel Roubini, 1998. "What Caused the Asian Currency and Financial Crisis?," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 343, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Corsetti, G. & Pesenti, P. & Roubini, N., 1998. "What Caused the Asian Currency and Financial Crisis?," Papers 343, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Amar Bhattacharya & Swati Ghosh & W. Jos Jansen, 2003.
"Has the Emergence of China Hurt Asian Exports?,"
- Fernald, John & Edison, Hali & Loungani, Prakash, 1999. "Was China the first domino? Assessing links between China and other Asian economies," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 515-535, August.
- Ramkishen Rajan, 2010. "The Currency and Financial Crisis in Southeast Asia: A Case of 'Sudden Death' or Death Foretold'?," Working Papers id:2583, eSocialSciences.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti & Nouriel Roubini, 1998.
"Paper tigers? A model of the Asian crisis,"
9822, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Diwan, Ishac & Hoekman, Bernard, 1999. "Competition, Complementarity and Contagion in East Asia," CEPR Discussion Papers 2112, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Huang, Bwo-Nung & Yang, Chin-Wei, 2003. "An analysis of exchange rate linkage effect: an application of the multivariate correlation analysis," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 337-351, April.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti & Nouriel Roubini & Cedric Tille, 1999.
"Competitive Devaluations: A Welfare-Based Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
6889, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giancarol Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti & Nouriel Roubini & Cedric Tille, 1999. "Competitive devaluations: a welfare-based approach," Staff Reports 58, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Françoise Lemoine, 2000. "FDI and the Opening Up of China's Economy," Working Papers 2000-11, CEPII research center.
- Anita Daraisami, 2004. "Export growth slowdown and currency crisis: the Malaysian experience," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(17), pages 1947-1957.
- John Fernald & Hali Edison & Prakash Loungani, 1998. "Was China the first domino? assessing links between China and the rest of emerging Asia," International Finance Discussion Papers 604, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Diehl, Markus & Nunnenkamp, Peter, 2001. "Lehren aus der Asienkrise : wirtschaftspolitische Reaktionen und fortbestehende Reformdefizite," Kiel Discussion Papers 373, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti & Nouriel Roubini, 1998. "What Caused the Asian Currency and Financial Crisis? Part II: The Policy Debate," NBER Working Papers 6834, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peterson Institute webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.