Has the Emergence of China Hurt Asian Exports?
AbstractWe investigate whether the exports of manufactured products by the South Asian and South East Asian countries have been negatively affected by the rise of China. Using a panel data approach, we find that increases in world market shares of China are statistically correlated with declines in world market shares for some Asian countries since 1994, but not before 1994.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series International Trade with number 0310004.
Length: 10 pages
Date of creation: 14 Oct 2003
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; prepared on Win98; to print on HP, A4 page format; pages: 10; figures: none. Final version, June 1999 (Applied Economics Letters)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
exports; China; Asian crisis;
Other versions of this item:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-10-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-IFN-2003-10-20 (International Finance)
- NEP-SEA-2003-10-20 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Li-Gang Liu & Marcus Noland & Sherman Robinson & Zhi Wang, 1998. "Asian Competitive Devaluations," Working Paper Series wp98-2, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Barry Naughton, 1996. "China's Emergence and Prospects as a Trading Nation," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 27(2), pages 273-344.
- W.J. Jansen, 2000. "The Effects of Capital Inflows in Thailand, 1980-96," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 46, Netherlands Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.