Spatial System Estimators for Panel Models: A Sensitivity and Simulation Study
AbstractSystem of panel models are popular models in applied sciences and the question of spatial errors has created the recent demand for spatial system estimation of panel models. Therefore we propose new diagnostic methods to explore if the spatial component will change significantly the outcome of non-spatial estimates of seemingly unrelated regression (SUR) systems. We apply a local sensitivity approach to study the behavior of generalized least squares (GLS) estimators in two spatial autoregression SUR system models: a SAR model with SUR errors (SAR-SUR) and a SUR model with spatial errors (SUR-SEM). Using matrix derivative calculus we establish a sensitivity matrix for spatial panel models and we show how a first order Taylor approximation of the GLS estimators can be used to approximate the GLS estimators in spatial SUR models. In a simulation study we demonstrate the good quality of our approximation results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for Advanced Studies in its series Economics Series with number 294.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna, Austria
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://www.ihs.ac.at/index.php3?id=310
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Institute for Advanced Studies - Library, Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna, Austria
Other versions of this item:
- Shuangzhe Liu & Tiefeng Ma & Wolfgang Polasek, 2012. "Spatial System Estimators for Panel Models: A Sensitivity and Simulation Study," Working Paper Series 05_13, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Shuangzhe Liu & Tiefeng Ma & Wolfgang Polasek, 2012. "Spatial System Estimators for Panel Models: A Sensitivity and Simulation Study," Working Paper Series 75_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-01-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2013-01-07 (Econometrics)
- NEP-URE-2013-01-07 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- LeSage, James P. & Polasek, Wolfgang, 2006.
"Incorporating Transportation Network Structure in Spatial Econometric Models of Commodity Flows,"
188, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- James Paul Lesage & Wolfgang Polasek, 2008. "Incorporating Transportation Network Structure in Spatial Econometric Models of Commodity Flows," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 225-245.
- Hwang, Soosung & Satchell, Steve E., 2010. "How loss averse are investors in financial markets?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 2425-2438, October.
- L. Epstein & S. Zin, 2010.
"First order risk aversion and the equity premium puzzle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1400, David K. Levine.
- Epstein, Larry G. & Zin, Stanley E., 1990. "'First-order' risk aversion and the equity premium puzzle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 387-407, December.
- Luc Anselin, 2010. "Thirty years of spatial econometrics," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(1), pages 3-25, 03.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1992. " Advances in Prospect Theory: Cumulative Representation of Uncertainty," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 297-323, October.
- Francisco J. Gomes, 2005. "Portfolio Choice and Trading Volume with Loss-Averse Investors," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 675-706, March.
- Fortin, Ines & Hlouskova, Jaroslava, 2010.
"Optimal Asset Allocation Under Linear Loss Aversion,"
257, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Fortin, Ines & Hlouskova, Jaroslava, 2011. "Optimal asset allocation under linear loss aversion," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 2974-2990, November.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Siegmann, Arjen, 2007.
"Optimal investment policies for defined benefit pension funds,"
Journal of Pension Economics and Finance,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 1-20, March.
- A.H. Siegmann, 2003. "Optimal Investment Policies for Defined Benefit Pension Funds," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 728, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Arjen Siegmann, 2003. "Optimal Investment Policies for Defined Benefit Pension Funds," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 112, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Kapoor, Mudit & Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2007. "Panel data models with spatially correlated error components," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 97-130, September.
- Schmidt, Ulrich & Starmer, Chris & Sugden, Robert, 2008.
"Third-generation prospect theory,"
Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy
28932, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Neudecker, Heinz & Polasek, Wolfgang & Liu, Shuangzhe, 1995. "The heteroskedastic linear regression model and the Hadamard product a note," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 361-366, August.
- Nicholas Barberis & Ming Huang, 2001. "Mental Accounting, Loss Aversion, and Individual Stock Returns," NBER Working Papers 8190, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- De Giorgi, Enrico & Hens, Thorsten, 2005.
"Making Prospect Theory Fit for Finance,"
2005/19, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Jaroslava Hlouskova & Panagiotis Tsigaris, 2012.
"Capital income taxation and risk taking under prospect theory,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 554-573, August.
- Hlouskova, Jaroslava & Tsigaris, Panagiotis, 2012. "Capital Income Taxation and Risk Taking under Prospect Theory," Economics Series 283, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- G�ran Therborn & K.C. Ho, 2009. "Introduction," City, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 53-62, March.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Xue Dong He & Xun Yu Zhou, 2011. "Portfolio Choice Under Cumulative Prospect Theory: An Analytical Treatment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 57(2), pages 315-331, February.
- Liu, Shuangzhe & Polasek, Wolfgang & Sellner, Richard, 2011. "Sensitivity Analysis of SAR Estimators," Economics Series 262, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Berkelaar, Arjan & Kouwenberg, Roy, 2009.
"From boom 'til bust: How loss aversion affects asset prices,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1005-1013, June.
- Berkelaar, A.B. & Kouwenberg, R.R.P., 2000. "From boom til bust: how loss aversion affects asset prices," Econometric Institute Report EI 2000-21/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Econometric Institute.
- André Lucas & Arjen Siegmann, 2008. "The Effect of Shortfall as a Risk Measure for Portfolios with Hedge Funds," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(1-2), pages 200-226.
- Nicholas Barberis, 2001. "Mental Accounting, Loss Aversion, and Individual Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(4), pages 1247-1292, 08.
- repec:wop:ubisop:0081 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lee, Lung-fei & Yu, Jihai, 2010. "Some recent developments in spatial panel data models," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 255-271, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doris Szoncsitz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.