Employers' selection behavior during short-time work
Abstract"During the recession of 2008-09 Germany experienced a huge decrease in GDP. Employment, however, remained surprisingly stable. The so-called German labor market miracle is often ascribed to the intensive usage of short-time work. Despite the resurgence of this instrument, little is known about the employees affected by it. This paper analyzes whether employers select certain individuals for short-time work, where special focus is given on the effect of human capital. The analysis is based on a unique linked-employer-employee data set on short-time workers in the district of the employment agency of Nuremberg. We use methods of event history analysis to estimate transition rates from regular employment to short-time work. Our results indicate that employers select a broad range of workers for STW, irrespective of their level of human capital. Fears that short-time work is mainly applied to a certain group of workers are not confirmed." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany] in its series IAB Discussion Paper with number 201218.
Length: 66 pages
Date of creation: 15 Aug 2012
Date of revision:
Kurzarbeit; Personalauswahl; Beschäftigtenstruktur; Entlassungen; Wirtschaftskrise; Rezession; Qualifikationsstruktur; Arbeitnehmer; IAB-Betriebs-Historik-Panel; Integrierte Erwerbsbiografien; Geschlechterverteilung; Altersstruktur; Nürnberg; Bayern; Bundesrepublik Deutschland;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J3 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-HRM-2012-08-23 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-LAB-2012-08-23 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-LMA-2012-08-23 (Labor Markets - Supply, Demand, & Wages)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olga Bohachova & Bernhard Boockmann & Claudia M. Buch, 2011.
"Labor Demand During the Crisis: What Happened in Germany?,"
IAW Discussion Papers
76, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
- Bohachova, Olga & Boockmann, Bernhard & Buch, Claudia M., 2011. "Labor Demand During the Crisis: What Happened in Germany?," IZA Discussion Papers 6074, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olga Bohachova & Bernhard Boockmann & Claudia M. Buch, 2011. "Labor Demand During the Crisis: What Happened in Germany?," CESifo Working Paper Series 3625, CESifo Group Munich.
- Tito Boeri & Herbert Bruecker, 2011.
"Short‐time work benefits revisited: some lessons from the Great Recession,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 26(68), pages 697-765, October.
- Boeri, Tito & Brücker, Herbert, 2011. "Short-Time Work Benefits Revisited: Some Lessons from the Great Recession," IZA Discussion Papers 5635, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gary S. Becker, 1962. "Investment in Human Capital: A Theoretical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 9.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Van Audenrode, Marc A, 1994. "Short-Time Compensation: Job Security, and Employment Contracts: Evidence from Selected OECD Countries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(1), pages 76-102, February.
- Guido W. Imbens, 2004.
"Nonparametric Estimation of Average Treatment Effects Under Exogeneity: A Review,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 4-29, February.
- Guido W. Imbens, 2003. "Nonparametric Estimation of Average Treatment Effects under Exogeneity: A Review," NBER Technical Working Papers 0294, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rouslan Koumakhov & Boris Najman, 2001.
"La question des sureffectifs en Russie. Une explication en termes de compétences,"
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 52(4), pages 915-941.
- Boris Najman & Rouslan Koumakhov, 2001. "La question des sureffectifs en Russie. Une explication en termes de compétences," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 52(4), pages 915-941.
- Victor R. Fuchs & Joyce P. Jacobsen, 1986. "Employee Response to Compulsory Short-Time Work," NBER Working Papers 2089, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Osikominu, Aderonke & Völter, Robert, 2005.
"Imputation rules to improve the education variable in the IAB employment subsample,"
200503_en, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Bernd Fitzenberger & Aderonke Osikominu & Robert Völter, 2006. "Imputation Rules to Improve the Education Variable in the IAB Employment Subsample," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 126(3), pages 405-436.
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Osikominu, Aderonke & Völter, Robert, 2005. "Imputation Rules to Improve the Education Variable in the IAB Employment Subsample," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-10, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Calavrezo, Oana & Duhautois, Richard & Walkowiak, Emmanuelle, 2010. "Short-Time Compensation and Establishment Exit: An Empirical Analysis with French Data," IZA Discussion Papers 4989, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Imbens, Guido & Abadie, Alberto, 2008.
"On the Failure of the Bootstrap for Matching Estimators,"
3043415, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Abadie & Guido W. Imbens, 2008. "On the Failure of the Bootstrap for Matching Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(6), pages 1537-1557, November.
- Alberto Abadie & Guido W. Imbens, 2006. "On the Failure of the Bootstrap for Matching Estimators," NBER Technical Working Papers 0325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alexander Hijzen & Danielle Venn, 2011. "The Role of Short-Time Work Schemes during the 2008-09 Recession," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 115, OECD Publishing.
- Tortia, Ermanno C., 2008. "Worker well-being and perceived fairness: Survey-based findings from Italy," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 2080-2094, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.