Financial Crisis, Health Outcomes, and Aging: Mexico in the 1980s and 1990s
AbstractWe study the impact of economic crisis on health in Mexico. There have been four wide-scale economic crises in Mexico in the past two decades, the most recent in 1995â€“96. We find that mortality rates for the very young and the elderly increase or decline less rapidly in crisis years as compared with non-crisis years. In the 1995â€“96 crisis, mortality rates were about 5 to 7 percent higher in the crisis years compared to the years just prior to the crisis. This translates into a 0.4 percent increase in mortality for the elderly and a 0.06 percent increase in mortality for the very young. We find tentative evidence that economic crises affect mortality by reducing incomes and possibly by placing a greater burden on the medical sector, but not by forcing less healthy members of the population to work or by forcing primary caregivers to go to work.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Harvard University Department of Economics in its series Scholarly Articles with number 2707939.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Public Economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher J. Ruhm, 1996.
"Are Recessions Good For Your Health?,"
NBER Working Papers
5570, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Suzanne Duryea, 1998. "Children's Advancement Through School in Brazil: The Role of Transitory Shocks to Household Income," Research Department Publications 4124, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- James Levinsohn & Steven Berry & Jed Friedman, 1999.
"Impacts of the Indonesian Economic Crisis: Price Changes and the Poor,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
249, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- James A. Levinsohn & Steven T. Berry & Jed Friedman, 2003. "Impacts of the Indonesian Economic Crisis.Price Changes and the Poor," NBER Chapters, in: Managing Currency Crises in Emerging Markets, pages 393-428 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Levinsohn & Steven Berry & Jed Friedman, 1999. "Impacts of the Indonesian Economic Crisis: Price Changes and the Poor," NBER Working Papers 7194, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levinsphn, J. & Berry, S. & Friedman, J., 1999. "Impacts of the Indonesian Economic Crisis: Price Changes and the Poor," Working Papers 446, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Murray, Christopher J. L. & Chen, Lincoln C., 1993. "In search of a contemporary theory for understanding mortality change," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 143-155, January.
- Theodore Joyce & Naci Mocan, 1993.
"Unemployment and Infant Health: Time-Series Evidence from the State of Tennessee,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 28(1), pages 185-203.
- Theodore J. Joyce & Naci H. Mocan, 1993. "Unemployment and Infant Health: Times-Series Evidence from the State of Tennessee," NBER Working Papers 3694, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ruhm, Christopher J., 1995.
"Economic conditions and alcohol problems,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 583-603, December.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1998. "The Mexican Peso Crisis: How Much Did We Know? When Did We Know It?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 1-30, 01.
- Cogneau, Denis & Jedwab, Rémi, 2012.
"Commodity Price Shocks and Child Outcomes: The 1990 Cocoa Crisis in Côte d’Ivoire,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/10603, Paris Dauphine University.
- Denis Cogneau & R�mi Jedwab, 2012. "Commodity Price Shocks and Child Outcomes: The 1990 Cocoa Crisis in Côte d’Ivoire," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(3), pages 507 - 534.
- Cogneau, Denis & Jedwab, Rémi, 2010. "Commodity Price Shocks and Child Outcomes: The 1990 Cocoa Crisis in Côte d'Ivoire," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 1018, CEPREMAP.
- Fidel Gonzalez & Troy Quast, 2009. "Does the Relationship Between Mortality and the Business Cycle Vary by the Level of Economic Development? Evidence from Mexico," Working Papers 0908, Sam Houston State University, Department of Economics and International Business.
- Fidel Gonzalez & Troy Quast, 2011.
"Macroeconomic changes and mortality in Mexico,"
Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 305-319, April.
- Owen O'Donnell & Eddy Van Doorslaer & Tom Van Ourti, 2013. "Health and Inequality," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 13-170/V, Tinbergen Institute.
- Nikoloski, Zlatko & Ajwad, Mohamed Ihsan, 2013. "Do economic crises lead to health and nutrition behavior responses ? analysis using longitudinal data from Russia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6538, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Reinhard Engels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.