Implicit Forward Rents as Predictors of Future Rents
AbstractThis paper investigates the relation between the term structure of rents and future spot rents. A rich database of office rental agreements for various maturities is used to estimate the term structure of rents, and from this structure implicit forward rents are extracted. The data pertain to commercial properties in the three largest Swedish cities for the period 1998-2002. A positive relation between forward and spot rents is found in some regions, but forward rents underestimate future rent levels. Another contribution of the paper lies in the area of rental index construction. We provide evidence that rental indices should not only be quality-constant (i.e. indices should not only control for the characteristics of rental units), but should also be maturity-constant.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for Financial Research in its series SIFR Research Report Series with number 12.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: 15 Nov 2002
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Real Estate Economics, 2004, pages 183-215.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Institute for Financial Research Drottninggatan 89, SE-113 60 Stockholm, Sweden
Web page: http://www.sifr.org/
More information through EDIRC
Commercial rents; Term structure;
Other versions of this item:
- Peter Englund & �ke Gunnelin & Martin Hoesli & Bo Söderberg, 2004. "Implicit Forward Rents as Predictors of Future Rents," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 32(2), pages 183-215, 06.
- Peter ENGLUND & Åke GUNNELIN & Martin HOESLI & Bo SÖDERBERG, 2002. "Implicit Forward Rents as Predictors of Future Rents," FAME Research Paper Series rp59, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- R31 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Housing Supply and Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-12-17 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F., 1976. "Forward rates as predictors of future spot rates," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 361-377, October.
- Richard Stanton & Nancy Wallace, 2009. "An Empirical Test of a Contingent Claims Lease Valuation Model," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 31(1), pages 1-26.
- Hermalin, Benjamin E. & Weisbach, Michael S., 2010.
"Information Disclosure and Corporate Governance,"
SIFR Research Report Series
76, Institute for Financial Research, revised 01 Jun 2011.
- Clapham, Eric & Gunnelin, Åke, 2003. "Rental Expectations and the Term Structure of Lease Rates," SIFR Research Report Series 16, Institute for Financial Research.
- Dreber, Anna & Rand, David G. & Garcia, Justin R. & Wernerfelt, Nils & Lum, J. Koji & Zeckhauser, Richard, 2010.
"Dopamine and Risk Preferences in Different Domains,"
Working Paper Series
rwp10-012, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Dreber, Anna & Rand, David G. & Garcia, Justin R. & Wernerfelt, Nils & Lum, J. Koji & Zeckhauser, Richard, 2010. "Dopamine and Risk Preferences in Different Domains," SIFR Research Report Series 71, Institute for Financial Research.
- Franz Fuerst & Patrick McAllister, 2008.
"Green Noise or Green Value? Measuring the Price Effects of Environmental Certification in Commercial Buildings,"
Real Estate & Planning Working Papers
rep-wp2008-09, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Fuerst, Franz & McAllister, Patrick, 2008. "Green Noise or Green Value? Measuring the Price Effects of Environmental Certification in Commercial Buildings," MPRA Paper 11446, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Sep 2008.
- Shaun Bond & Pavlos Loizou & Patrick McAllister, 2008. "Lease Maturity and Initial Rent: Is There a Term Structure for UK Commercial Property Leases?," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 451-469, May.
- Peter Englund & Ake Gunnelin & Patric H. Hendershott & Bo Soderberg, 2005. "Adjustment in Property Space Markets: Estimates from the Stockholm Office Market," NBER Working Papers 11345, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rydqvist, Kristian, 2010. "Tax Arbitrage with Risk and Effort Aversion - Swedish Lottery Bonds 1970-1990," SIFR Research Report Series 70, Institute for Financial Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anki Helmer).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.