Foregin Acquisition and Employment Effects in Swedish Manufacturing
AbstractThis paper investigates the employment effects of foreign acquisitions in acquired firms in Swedish manufacturing during the 1990s, a period characterized by a dramatic increase in foreign ownership. To handle likely endogeneity problems, we evaluate the effects of foreign acquisitions on the targeted firms’ employment by combining propensity score matching with difference-in-difference estimation. We find some evidence of positive employment effects in firms taken over by foreigners and it seems that the employment of skilled labor increases more than the employment of less-skilled labor. Moreover, we examine whether the employment impact of foreign ownership differs between takeovers of Swedish MNEs and non-MNEs. Our results indicate that the positive employment effects only appear in acquired non-MNEs. Furthermore, we observe shifts in skill intensities toward higher shares of skilled labor in non-MNEs taken over by foreign MNEs but not in acquired Swedish MNEs
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Örebro University, School of Business in its series Working Papers with number 2007:10.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 15 Nov 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Örebro University School of Business, SE - 701 82 ÖREBRO, Sweden
Phone: 019-30 30 00
Fax: 019-33 25 46
Web page: http://www.oru.se/Institutioner/Handelshogskolan-vid-Orebro-universitet/
More information through EDIRC
Foregin acquisitions; labor demand; matching; difference-in difference; multinational enterprices;
Other versions of this item:
- Roger Bandick & Patrik Karpaty, . "Foreign Acquisition and Employment Effects in Swedish Manufacturing," Discussion Papers 07/35, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sourafel Girma, 2005. "Safeguarding Jobs? Acquisition FDI and Employment Dynamics in U.K. Manufacturing," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 141(1), pages 165-178, April.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2006.
"Investment Lilberalization - Why a Restrictive Cross-Border Merger Policy can be Counterproductive,"
Working Paper Series
666, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Norback, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2007. "Investment liberalization -- Why a restrictive cross-border merger policy can be counterproductive," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 366-380, July.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2005. "Investment Liberalization - Why a Restrictive Cross-Border Merger Policy can be Counterproductive," Working Paper Series 644, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Pehr-Johan Norbäck & Lars Persson, 2008. "Globalization and profitability of cross-border mergers and acquisitions," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 241-266, May.
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Sadek Wahba, 2002.
"Propensity score matching methods for non-experimental causal studies,"
0102-14, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Sadek Wahba, 2002. "Propensity Score-Matching Methods For Nonexperimental Causal Studies," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 151-161, February.
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Sadek Wahba, 1998. "Propensity Score Matching Methods for Non-experimental Causal Studies," NBER Working Papers 6829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dehejia, R.H. & Wahba, S., 1998. "Propensity Score Matching Methods for Non-Experimental Causal Studies," Discussion Papers 1998_02, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Kristiina Huttunen, 2007. "The Effect of Foreign Acquisition on Employment and Wages: Evidence from Finnish Establishments," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(3), pages 497-509, August.
- Brännlund, Runar & Nordström, Jonas & Svedin, Dick, 2004. "Foreign ownership and effects on employment and wages: The case of Sweden," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 638, Umeå University, Department of Economics, revised 01 Nov 2004.
- McGuckin, Robert H. & Nguyen, Sang V., 2001.
"The impact of ownership changes: a view from labor markets,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 739-762, April.
- Robert H McGuckin & Sang V Nguyen, 2000. "The Impact of Ownership Changes: A View from Labor Markets," Working Papers 00-02, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Bandick, Roger, 2007.
"Multinationals and Plant Survivals in Swedish Manufacturing,"
2007:7, Örebro University, School of Business.
- Roger Bandick, . "Multinationals and plant survival in Swedish manufacturing," Discussion Papers 07/31, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Conyon, Martin J. & Girma, Sourafel & Thompson, Steve & Wright, Peter W., 2002. "The impact of mergers and acquisitions on company employment in the United Kingdom," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 31-49, January.
- Conyon, Martin J. & Girma, Sourafel & Thompson, Steve & Wright, Peter W., 2001. "Do hostile mergers destroy jobs?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 45(4), pages 427-440, August.
- Heckman, James J & Ichimura, Hidehiko & Todd, Petra E, 1997. "Matching as an Econometric Evaluation Estimator: Evidence from Evaluating a Job Training Programme," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(4), pages 605-54, October.
- Bandick, Roger & Hansson, Pär, 2005.
"Inward FDI and demand for skills in Sweden,"
2005:10, Örebro University, School of Business.
- Lichtenberg, Frank R & Siegel, Donald, 1990. "The Effect of Ownership Changes on the Employment and Wages of Central Office and Other Personnel," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 383-408, October.
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2000. "Evaluation methods for non-experimental data," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 21(4), pages 427-468, January.
- Patrik Karpaty, 2007. "Productivity Effects of Foreign Acquisitions in Swedish Manufacturing: The FDI Productivity Issue Revisited," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 241-260.
- Girma, Sourafel & Görg, Holger, 2003.
"Blessing or Curse? Domestic Plants' Survival and Employment Prospects after Foreign Acquisitions,"
IZA Discussion Papers
706, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Girma, Sourafel & Görg, Holger, 2001. "Blessing or Curse? Domestic Plants' Survival and Employment Prospects After Foreign Acquisition," CEPR Discussion Papers 2994, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2007. "Globalization and Profitability of Cross-border Mergers & Acquisitions," CEPR Discussion Papers 6102, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Katariina Nilsson Hakkala & Fredrik Heyman & Fredrik Sjöholm, 2009.
"Multinational firms and job tasks,"
8, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Christian Arndt & Anselm Mattes, 2010. "Cross-Border Mergers and Acquisitions of Multinational Firms. New Firm-Level Evidence," IAW Discussion Papers 62, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
- Neil Foster-McGregor & Anders Isaksson & Florian Kaulich, 2013. "Foreign Ownership and Labour Markets in Sub-Saharan African Firms," wiiw Working Papers 99, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.