Consumers’ Willingness To Buy Food Via The Internet: A Review Of The Litterature And A Model For Future Research
AbstractIn the first part of the paper, existing studies on consumer propensity to buy via the Internet are reviewed in an attempt to shed light on factors explaining consumer willingness to buy food via the Internet. Following a model by Sindhav and Balazs (1999), determinants relating to medium, product, consumer, firm and environment are distinguished. In order to draw the various results together and provide a coherent framework for future research, we then propose a model which combines the Theory of Planned Behaviour and the lifestyle construct. The model can be used to analyse how beliefs affecting consumers intention to buy food via the Internet are formed and changed due to experience with such shopping
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, The MAPP Centre in its series MAPP Working Papers with number 84.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 02 Sep 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Aarhus School of Business, The MAPP Centre, Fuglesangs Allé 4, DK-8210 Aarhus V, Denmark
Phone: +45 89 48 66 88
Fax: + 45 86 15 01 88
Web page: http://www.asb.dk/centres/mapp.aspx
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klein, Lisa R., 1998. "Evaluating the Potential of Interactive Media through a New Lens: Search versus Experience Goods," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 195-203, March.
- Gefen, David, 2000. "E-commerce: the role of familiarity and trust," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 725-737, December.
- Bettman, James R & Kakkar, Pradeep, 1977. " Effects of Information Presentation Format on Consumer Information Acquisition Strategies," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(4), pages 233-40, March.
- Darby, Michael R & Karni, Edi, 1973. "Free Competition and the Optimal Amount of Fraud," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 67-88, April.
- Selnes, Fred & Troye, Sigurd Villads, 1989. "Buying expertise, information search, and problem solving," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 411-428, November.
- Ruyter, Ko de & Wetzels, Martin & Kleijnen, Mirella, 2001. "Customer Adoption of E-service: an experimental study," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-5859, Maastricht University.
- East, Robert, 1993. "Investment decisions and the theory of planned behaviour," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 337-375, June.
- Gatignon, Hubert & Robertson, Thomas S, 1985. " A Propositional Inventory for New Diffusion Research," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(4), pages 849-67, March.
- Butler, Patrick & Peppard, Joe, 1998. "Consumer purchasing on the Internet:: Processes and prospects," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 600-610, October.
- Peterson, R.A. & Balasubramanian, S. & Bronnenberg, B.J.J.A.M., 1997. "Exploring the implications of the internet for consumer marketing," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-339976, Tilburg University.
- Ajzen, Icek, 1991. "The theory of planned behavior," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 179-211, December.
- Peterson, Robert A. & Balasubramanian, Sridhar & Bronnenberg, Bart J., 1997. "Exploring the implications of the internet for consumer marketing.," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-6204, Maastricht University.
- Nelson, Philip, 1974. "Advertising as Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(4), pages 729-54, July/Aug..
- Nelson, Phillip, 1970. "Information and Consumer Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 311-29, March-Apr.
- Hiser, Jennifer & Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr. & Capps, Oral, Jr., 1999. "An Exploratory Analysis Of Familiarity And Willingness To Use Online Food Shopping Services In A Local Area Of Texas," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 30(1), March.
- Brunso, Karen & Grunert, Klaus G., 1998. "Cross-Cultural Similarities and Differences in Shopping for Food," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 145-150, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helle Vinbaek Stenholt).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.