E-commerce: the role of familiarity and trust
AbstractFamiliarity is a precondition for trust, claims Luhmann [28: Luhmann N. Trust and power. Chichester UK: Wiley, 1979. (translation from German)], and trust is a prerequisite of social behavior, especially regarding important decisions. This study examines this intriguing idea in the context of the E-commerce involved in inquiring about and purchasing books on the Internet. Survey data from 217 potential users support and extend this hypothesis. The data show that both familiarity with an Internet vendor and its processes and trust in the vendor influenced the respondents' intentions to inquire about books, and their intentions to purchase them. Additionally, the data show that while familiarity indeed builds trust, it is primarily people's disposition to trust that affected their trust in the vendor. Implications for research and practice are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 28 (2000)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kwon, Wi-Suk & Lennon, Sharron J., 2009. "What induces online loyalty? Online versus offline brand images," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(5), pages 557-564, May.
- Fakhraddin Maroofi & Mohammad Nazaripour, 2012. "Factors Affecting Customer Loyalty of Using Internet Banking in Iran," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 2(4), pages 53-65, October.
- Chouk, Inès & Perrien, Jean, 2004. "Consumer Trust towards an Unfamiliar Web Merchant," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4249, Paris Dauphine University.
- Nasser Hamidi & Tahmineh Torabi Rad & Alireza Jahany, 2012. "Evaluation Of Factors Influencing Tendency Towards E- Banking In Bank Customers," Far East Journal of Marketing and Management, Far East Research Centre, vol. 2(3), pages 25-42, August.
- Polychronidou Persefoni & Valsamidis Stavros & Florou Giannoula & Karasavvoglou Anastasios, 2011. "Comparison of E-Commerce behaviour among women consumers of Balkan and Baltic Regions," Scientific Bulletin - Economic Sciences, University of Pitesti, vol. 10(2), pages 11-23.
- Harfouche, Antoine & Bourlitaux-Lajoinie, Stéphane, 2010. "Salient beliefs that influence the acceptance or rejection of public e-services in Lebanon," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/12445, Paris Dauphine University.
- Cao, Xinyu & Mokhtarian, Patricia L., 2005.
"The Intended and Actual Adoption of Online Purchasing: A Brief Review of Recent Literature,"
University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers
qt5z75n416, University of California Transportation Center.
- Cao, XinYu & Mokhtarian, Patricia L, 2005. "The Intended and Actual Adoption of Online Purchasing: A Brief Review of Recent Literature," Institute of Transportation Studies, Working Paper Series qt45q5p1vb, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis.
- Cao, XinYu & Mokhtarian, Patricia L, 2005. "The Intended and Actual Adoption of Online Purchasing: A Brief Review of Recent Literature," Institute of Transportation Studies, Working Paper Series qt095934s0, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis.
- Walczuch,Rita & Lundgren,Henriette, 2002. "Psychological Antecedents of Institution-Based Consumer Trust in E-Retailing," Research Memorandum 071, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Chieh-Peng Lin & Shwu-Chuan Chen & Chou-Kang Chiu & Wan-Yu Lee, 2011. "Understanding Purchase Intention During Product-Harm Crises: Moderating Effects of Perceived Corporate Ability and Corporate Social Responsibility," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 102(3), pages 455-471, September.
- Vance, Anthony & Elie-dit-Cosaque, Christophe & Straub, Detmar W., 2008. "Examining Trust in Information Technology Artifacts : The Effects of System Quality and Culture," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2723, Paris Dauphine University.
- Ramus, Kim Bjarne & Grunert, Klaus G., 2004. "Consumers’ Willingness To Buy Food Via The Internet: A Review Of The Litterature And A Model For Future Research," MAPP Working Papers 84, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, The MAPP Centre.
- Chouk, Inès, 2005. "La confiance du consommateur vis-à-vis d’un marchand Internet : proposition d’une échelle de mesure," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4230, Paris Dauphine University.
- Ananth, A. & Ramesh, R. & Prabaharan, B., 2010. "Service quality gap analysis in private sector bank - a customer perspective," MPRA Paper 29505, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 26 Dec 2010.
- Lei Thien & Nordin Razak, 2013. "Academic Coping, Friendship Quality, and Student Engagement Associated with Student Quality of School Life: A Partial Least Square Analysis," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 112(3), pages 679-708, July.
- Natalia Vila & Inés Kuster, 2012. "The role of usability on stimulating SME’s on line buying intention: an experiment based on a ficticius web site design," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 117-136, January.
- Chouk, Inès & Perrien, Jean, 2004. "Proposition d'un modèle conceptuel de la confiance du consommateur vis-à-vis d'un marchand électronique : une approche par le rôle des tiers," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4674, Paris Dauphine University.
- Chouk, Inès & Perrien, Jean, 2006. "Déterminants de la confiance du consommateur vis-à-vis d’un marchand Internet non familier : une approche par le rôle des tiers," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4215, Paris Dauphine University.
- Chouk, Inès, 2005. "Confiance et commerce électronique : un premier bilan," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5852, Paris Dauphine University.
- Wu, Jyh-Jeng & Chen, Ying-Hueih & Chung, Yu-Shuo, 2010. "Trust factors influencing virtual community members: A study of transaction communities," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(9-10), pages 1025-1032, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.