Congestion pricing and long term urban form: Application to Ile-de-France
AbstractWe propose an efficient algorithm that solves the monocentric city model with traffic congestion, and use it to explore the impact of congestion pricing on urban forms and, hence, on transport volume, CO2 emissions and energy consumption. The application focuses on the region Ie-de-France. Four pricing policies are considered: no toll, where transport cost is equal to the vehicle operating cost, cordon toll where users pay the toll when they drive inside cordon region linear toll (optimal under the class of linear tolls) and optimal toll (or first-best toll). The linear toll is equivalent to an increase in the vehicle operating cost. It performs well with respect to the first-best solution but, since it applies identically to all trips, it is not likely to be relevant in practice. By comparison to the no-toll situation, optimal congestion pricing reduces the radius of the city and the average travel distance by 34% and 15%, respectively.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Working Papers with number hal-00348439.
Date of creation: Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00348439/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Monocentric model; Equilibrium computation; Transport pricing; Long term impacts;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erik Verhoef, 2004.
"Second-best Congestion Pricing Schemes in the Monocentric City,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa04p408, European Regional Science Association.
- Verhoef, Erik T., 2005. "Second-best congestion pricing schemes in the monocentric city," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 367-388, November.
- Erik T. Verhoef, 2004. "Second-best Congestion Pricing Schemes in the Monocentric City," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-110/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Arnott, Richard J., 1979. "Unpriced transport congestion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 294-316, October.
- Arnott, Richard J & MacKinnon, James G, 1978.
"Market and Shadow Land Rents with Congestion,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 68(4), pages 588-600, September.
- Boarnet Marlon G., 1994. "The Monocentric Model and Employment Location," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 79-97, July.
- Jan Rouwendal & J. Willemijn van der Straaten, 2008.
"The Costs and Benefits of Providing Open Space in Cities,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
08-001/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jan Rouwendal & Willemijn Weijschede- v.d. Straaten, 2008. "The costs and benefits of providing open space in cities," CPB Discussion Paper 98, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Mills, Edwin S & Ferranti, David M, 1971. "Market Choices and Optimum City Size," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(2), pages 340-45, May.
- Riley, John G., 1974. "Optimal residential density and road transportation," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 230-249, April.
- Brueckner, Jan & Selod, Harris, 2004.
"The Political Economy of Urban Transport System Choice,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4682, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Selod, Harris, 2006. "The political economy of urban transport-system choice," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(6-7), pages 983-1005, August.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Harris SELOD, 2006. "The political economy of urban transport-system choice," Working Papers 10220, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Kanemoto, Yoshitsugu, 1980. "Theories of urban externalities," MPRA Paper 24614, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mun, Se-il & Konishi, Ko-ji & Yoshikawa, Kazuhiro, 2003. "Optimal cordon pricing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 21-38, July.
- Kanemoto, Yoshitsugu, 1977. "Cost-benefit analysis and the second best land use for transportation," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 483-503, October.
- Baum-Snow, Nathaniel, 2007. "Suburbanization and transportation in the monocentric model," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 405-423, November.
- Small, Kenneth A. & Gomez-Ibanez, Jose A., 1999.
Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics,
in: P. C. Cheshire & E. S. Mills (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 46, pages 1937-1999
- Georgina Santos & Gordon Fraser, 2006. "Road pricing: lessons from London," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 21(46), pages 263-310, 04.
- Peter Mieszkowski & Edwin S. Mills, 1993. "The Causes of Metropolitan Suburbanization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(3), pages 135-147, Summer.
- Daniel, Joseph I. & Bekka, Khalid, 2000. "The Environmental Impact of Highway Congestion Pricing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 180-215, March.
- Robert M. Solow, 1973. "Congestion Cost and the Use of Land for Streets," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(2), pages 602-618, Autumn.
- McMillen, Daniel P. & Jarmin, Ronald & Thorsnes, Paul, 1992. "Selection bias and land development in the monocentric city model," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 273-284, May.
- Robson, Arthur J., 1976. "Cost-benefit analysis and the use of urban land for transportation," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 180-191, April.
- de Palma, André & Lindsey, Robin, 2006. "Modelling and evaluation of road pricing in Paris," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 115-126, March.
- Vincent Breteau & Fabien Leurent, 2011. "Job decentralization and transportation use in a monocentric city," Working Papers hal-00637406, HAL.
- André De Palma & Moez Kilani & Michel De Lara & Serge Piperno, 2011. "Cordon pricing in the Monocentric city model: Theory and application to Ile-de- France," Post-Print hal-00348437, HAL.
- André DE PALMA & Moez KILANI & Michel DE LARA & Serge PIPERNO, 2011.
"Cordon pricing in the monocentric city: theory and application to Paris region,"
Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain)
2011027, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- André De Palma & Moez Kilani & Michel De Lara & Serge Piperno, 2011. "Cordon pricing in the monocentric city: theory and application to Paris region," Recherches économiques de Louvain, De Boeck Université, vol. 77(2), pages 105-124.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.