Poverty and firewood consumption : A case study of rural households in northern China
AbstractThis paper discusses the determinants of firewood consumption in a poor township in rural northern China, with a special focus on the relationship between households' economic wealth and firewood consumption. We find strong support for the poverty-environment hypothesis since household economic wealth is a significant and negative determinant of firewood consumption. Firewood can therefore be considered as an inferior good for the whole population in the rural area under study, although further evidence shows that at the top of the wealth distribution, there might be a floor effect in the decreasing firewood consumption. Besides economic wealth, our analysis also shows that the own-price effect is important in explaining firewood consumption behavior, the price effect gaining importance with rising incomes. Finally, increasing education is also found to be a key factor in energy consumption behavior, especially when dealing with energy source switching behavior.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number halshs-00522660.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, China Economic Review, 2011, 22, 4, pp. 512-523
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00522660/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
firewood consumption; poverty; natural resources protection; China;
Other versions of this item:
- Démurger, Sylvie & Fournier, Martin, 2011. "Poverty and firewood consumption: A case study of rural households in northern China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 512-523.
- Sylvie Démurger & Martin Fournier, 2010. "Poverty and firewood consumption : A case study of rural households in northern China," Working Papers 1020, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Q23 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Forestry
- Q28 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Government Policy
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Marie Baland & Pranab Bardhan & Sanghamitra Das & Dilip Mookherjee & Rinki Sarkar, 2010.
"The Environmental Impact of Poverty: Evidence from Firewood Collection in Rural Nepal,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(1), pages 23-61, October.
- Pranab Bardhan & Jean-Marie Baland & Sanghamitra Das & Dilip Mookherjee & Rinki Sarkar, 2002. "The Environmental Impact of Poverty: Evidence from Firewood Collection in Rural Nepal," Boston University - Department of Economics - The Institute for Economic Development Working Papers Series dp-126, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Wang, Chengchao & Yang, Yusheng & Zhang, Yaoqi, 2012. "Rural household livelihood change, fuelwood substitution, and hilly ecosystem restoration: Evidence from China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 2475-2482.
- Zhang Jingchao & Koji Kotani, 2010.
"The determinants of household energy demand in rural Beijing: Can the environmental-friendly technologies be effective?,"
EMS_2010_15, Research Institute, International University of Japan.
- Jingchao, Zhang & Kotani, Koji, 2012. "The determinants of household energy demand in rural Beijing: Can environmentally friendly technologies be effective?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 381-388.
- Iniwasikima D. Poloamina & Ufot Clement Umoh, 2013. "The determinants of electricity access in Sub-Saharan Africa," The Empirical Econometrics and Quantitative Economics Letters, Faculty of Economics, Chiang Mai University, vol. 2(4), pages 65 - 74, December.
- Fidelis O. Ogwumike & Uchechukwu M. Ozughalu & Gabriel A. Abiona, 2014. "Household Energy Use and Determinants: Evidence from Nigeria," International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, Econjournals, vol. 4(2), pages 248-262.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.