Economic Integration and Political Accountability
AbstractThis paper studies to what extent economic integration, or globalization, influences the accountability of politicians, In a framework the politicians are only controled through reelection rules, we study the effect of economic integration on the reelection rules chosen by the voters and try to establish a link between economic integration and accountability. We first define economic integration noe only by the existence of externalities between countries but also by the positive correlation of shocks accross the countries. Then, from a political point of view, we show that economic integration is a two-sided phenomenon. On the one hand, the correlation of shocks allows yardstick comparison which is good for the control of politicians. On the other hand, it induces a lack of responsability because of the existence of externalities. Therefore, the political effect of economic integration depends on the relative strength of those two effects.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Toulouse - GREMAQ in its series Papers with number 00-540.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: GREMAQ, Universite de Toulouse I Place Anatole France 31042 - Toulouse CEDEX France.
Fax: 05 61 22 55 63
Web page: http://www-gremaq.univ-tlse1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
INFORMATION ; ELECTIONS ; ECONOMIC INTEGRATION;
Other versions of this item:
- D72 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Political Processes: Rent-seeking, Lobbying, Elections, Legislatures, and Voting Behavior
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- D84 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Expectations; Speculations
- P45 - Economic Systems - - Other Economic Systems - - - International Linkages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dani Rodrik, 1998. "Symposium on Globalization in Perspective: An Introduction," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 3-8, Fall.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003.
"Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy,"
986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998. "Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert C. Feenstra, . "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Department of Economics 98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti, 2001.
"Welfare And Macroeconomic Interdependence,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 116(2), pages 421-445, May.
- Banks, Jeffrey S. & Sundaram, Rangarajan K., 1998. "Optimal Retention in Agency Problems," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 293-323, October.
- Mookherjee, Dilip, 1984. "Optimal Incentive Schemes with Many Agents," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 433-46, July.
- John Ferejohn, 1986. "Incumbent performance and electoral control," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 50(1), pages 5-25, January.
- Martin Bodenstein & Heinrich Ursprung, 2005.
"Political yardstick competition, economic integration, and constitutional choice in a federation:,"
Springer, vol. 124(3), pages 329-352, September.
- Martin Bodenstein & Heinrich Ursprung, 2001. "Political Yardstick Competition, Economic Integration, and Constitutional Choice in a Federation," CESifo Working Paper Series 501, CESifo Group Munich.
- Albert Breton & Heinrich Ursprung, 2002. "Globalisation, Competitive Governments, and Constitutional Choice in Europe," CESifo Working Paper Series 657, CESifo Group Munich.
- Cheikbossian, Guillaume & Sand-Zantman, Wilfried, 2008.
"Dynamic Cooperation in Local Public Goods Supply with Imperfect Monitoring,"
IDEI Working Papers
527, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Guillaume CHEIKBOSSIAN & Wilfried SAND-ZANTMAN, 2011. "Dynamic Cooperation in Local Public Goods Supply with Imperfect Monitoring," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 101-102, pages 327-346.
- Zudenkova, Galina, 2010.
"A Political Agency Model of Coattail Voting,"
28800, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Galina Zudenkova, 2010. "Split-ticket voting: an implicit incentive approach," Economics Working Papers we1011, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.