Biodiversity Valuation in Developing Countries: A Focus on Small Island Developing States (SIDS)
AbstractThe Millennium Development Goals explicitly recognise “sustainable development” as a target. A step towards this is a greater understanding of the significant role of biodiversity in rural communities of developing countries who depend most on the ecosystem goods and services and who as a result may suffer most from its continued degradation. Understanding the input of biodiversity in developing countries to the provision of the ecosystem goods and services (EGS) that are essential to their human well-being is seen as a significant first step in sustainable development, and environmental valuation is a necessary tool for achieving this objective. However, valuing biodiversity in a developing country context can be an intricate affair. While economic valuation literature yields a range of tried and tested methodological techniques for measuring biodiversity, the question remains as to whether these generalised techniques are capable of revealing the complexities of local environmental use in developing countries. A heterogeneous group, “developing countries” can be characterised by a range of factors existing in different intensities that can (1) impact the ways in which local communities interact with their environmental resources (2) impact the efficacy of the methodological and data collection process (3) impact the values obtained from the application of valuation techniques and (4) impact the implementation, success and sustainability of policy and management prescriptions. This paper attempts to address these issues by discussing the main characteristics of developing countries that can impact the biodiversity valuation process and, with specific reference to Small Island Developing States (SIDS), discussing how knowledge of these characteristics can assist the valuation process to better reveal the complex interaction between biodiversity and human welfare in a developing country context.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei in its series Working Papers with number 2010.111.
Date of creation: Sep 2010
Date of revision:
Biodiversity; Developing Countries; Small Island Developing States;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q01 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General - - - Sustainable Development
- Q57 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Ecological Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2010-10-02 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2010-10-02 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-ENV-2010-10-02 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, Donald E. & Egediusen, Stephen, 1966. "A Study of the Feasibility of Establishing A Terminal Cash Grain Market in North Dakota," Agribusiness & Applied Economics Report 104183, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Narain, Urvashi & Gupta, Shreekant & van 't Veld, Klaas, 2008. "Poverty and resource dependence in rural India," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 161-176, May.
- Kirkpatrick, Colin & Barrientos, Armando, 2004. "The Lewis Model After Fifty Years," Development Economics and Public Policy Working Papers 30550, University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM).
- Morrison, Jamie & Pearce, Richard, 2000. "Interrelationships between economic policy and agri-environmental indicators: an investigative framework with examples from South Africa," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 363-377, September.
- George R. Parsons & Steven M. Thur, 2007.
"Valuing Changes in the Quality of Coral Reef Ecosystems: A Stated Preference Study of SCUBA Diving in the Bonaire National Marine Park,"
07-18, University of Delaware, Department of Economics.
- George Parsons & Steven Thur, 2008. "Valuing Changes in the Quality of Coral Reef Ecosystems: A Stated Preference Study of SCUBA Diving in the Bonaire National Marine Park," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 40(4), pages 593-608, August.
- Dasgupta, Partha, 2001. "Human Well-Being and the Natural Environment," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199247882.
- Baumgartner, Stefan & Becker, Christian & Faber, Malte & Manstetten, Reiner, 2006. "Relative and absolute scarcity of nature. Assessing the roles of economics and ecology for biodiversity conservation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(4), pages 487-498, October.
- Jonathan Temple, 2005.
"Dual Economy Models: A Primer For Growth Economists,"
University of Manchester, vol. 73(4), pages 435-478, 07.
- Jonathan Temple, 2005. "Dual economy models: a primer for growth economists," Bristol Economics Discussion Papers 05/574, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Naidoo, Robin & Adamowicz, Wiktor L., 2005. "Biodiversity and nature-based tourism at forest reserves in Uganda," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(02), pages 159-178, May.
- Howarth, Richard B. & Farber, Stephen, 2002. "Accounting for the value of ecosystem services," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 421-429, June.
- Gustav Ranis, 2004. "ARTHUR LEWIS's CONTRIBUTION TO DEVELOPMENT THINKING AND POLICY," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 72(6), pages 712-723, December.
- Gustav Ranis, 2004. "Arthur Lewis' Contribution to Development Thinking and Policy," Working Papers 891, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Graham Davis, 2011. "The resource drag," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 155-176, June.
- Noy, Ilan, 2009.
"The macroeconomic consequences of disasters,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 221-231, March.
- Anders Skonhoft, 2006.
"Economic modeling approaches for wildlife and species conservation,"
Working Paper Series
7006, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Skonhoft, Anders, 2007. "Economic modeling approaches for wildlife and species conservation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 223-231, April.
- Naylor, Rosamond & Drew, Mark, 1998. "Valuing mangrove resources in Kosrae, Micronesia," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(04), pages 471-490, October.
- Trommetter, Michel, 2005.
"Biodiversity and international stakes: A question of access,"
Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 573-583, June.
- Trommetter, M., 2004. "Biodiversity and international stakes : a question of access," Working Papers 200418, Grenoble Applied Economics Laboratory (GAEL).
- Nunes, Paulo A. L. D. & Schokkaert, Erik, 2003. "Identifying the warm glow effect in contingent valuation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 231-245, March.
- Beharry-Borg, Nesha & Scarpa, Riccardo, 2010. "Valuing quality changes in Caribbean coastal waters for heterogeneous beach visitors," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(5), pages 1124-1139, March.
- Subhrendu K. Pattanayak & David T. Butry, 2005. "Spatial Complementarity of Forests and Farms: Accounting for Ecosystem Services," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(4), pages 995-1008.
- Simpson, R David & Sedjo, Roger A & Reid, John W, 1996. "Valuing Biodiversity for Use in Pharmaceutical Research," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 163-85, February.
- Kanagawa, Makoto & Nakata, Toshihiko, 2007. "Analysis of the energy access improvement and its socio-economic impacts in rural areas of developing countries," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 319-329, April.
- Deacon, Robert T. & Brookshire, David S. & Fisher, Anthony C. & Kneese, Allen V. & Kolstad, Charles D. & Scrogin, David & Smith, V. Kerry & Ward, Michael & Wilen, James, 1998.
"Research Trends and Opportunities in Environmental and NaturalResource Economics,"
98-05, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Robert Deacon & Charles Kolstad & Allen Kneese & David Brookshire & David Scrogin & Anthony Fisher & Michael Ward & Kerry Smith & James Wilen, 1998. "Research Trends and Opportunities in Environmental and Natural Resource Economics," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 11(3), pages 383-397, April.
- Danilo Camargo Igliori & Timo Goesch, 2004. "Property Rights Conservation and Development: An Analysis of Extractive Reserves in the Brazilian Amazon," Working Papers 2004.60, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Azariadis, Costas & Drazen, Allan, 1990. "Threshold Externalities in Economic Development," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(2), pages 501-26, May.
- Costanza, Robert & Fisher, Brendan & Mulder, Kenneth & Liu, Shuang & Christopher, Treg, 2007. "Biodiversity and ecosystem services: A multi-scale empirical study of the relationship between species richness and net primary production," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2-3), pages 478-491, March.
- Colin Kirkpatrick & Armando Barrientos, 2004. "The Lewis Model After 50 Years," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 72(6), pages 679-690, December.
- Flatley, G. W. & Bennett, J. W., 1996. "Using Contingent Valuation to Determine Australian Tourists' Values for Forest Conservation in Vanuatu," Economic Analysis and Policy (EAP), Queensland University of Technology (QUT), School of Economics and Finance, vol. 26(2), pages 111-127, September.
- Norton, Bryan G. & Noonan, Douglas, 2007. "Ecology and valuation: Big changes needed," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(4), pages 664-675, September.
- Kemmler, Andreas & Spreng, Daniel, 2007. "Energy indicators for tracking sustainability in developing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 2466-2480, April.
- Turpie, J.K. & Marais, C. & Blignaut, J.N., 2008. "The working for water programme: Evolution of a payments for ecosystem services mechanism that addresses both poverty and ecosystem service delivery in South Africa," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(4), pages 788-798, May.
- Allport, Ruth C. & Epperson, James E., 2003. "Willingness To Pay For Environmental Preservation By Ecotourism-Linked Businesses: Evidence From The Caribbean Windward Islands," Faculty Series 16687, University of Georgia, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Christie, Mike & Hanley, Nick & Warren, John & Murphy, Kevin & Wright, Robert & Hyde, Tony, 2006. "Valuing the diversity of biodiversity," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 304-317, June.
- Andersson, Jessica E.C., 2007. "The recreational cost of coral bleaching -- A stated and revealed preference study of international tourists," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(3-4), pages 704-715, May.
- Paulo A.L.D. Nunes & Rosimeiry Portela & Nalini Rao & Sonja S. Teelucksingh, 2009. "Recreational, Cultural and Aesthetic Services from Estuarine and Coastal Ecosystems," Working Papers 2009.121, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Catalino, Alejandro Herrera & Lizardo, Magdalena, 2004. "Agriculture, Environmental Services and Agro-Tourism in the Dominican Republic," eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 1(1).
- Levin, Simon A. & Pacala, Stephen W., 2003. "Ecosystem dynamics," Handbook of Environmental Economics, in: K. G. Mäler & J. R. Vincent (ed.), Handbook of Environmental Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 61-95 Elsevier.
- Egoh, Benis & Rouget, Mathieu & Reyers, Belinda & Knight, Andrew T. & Cowling, Richard M. & van Jaarsveld, Albert S. & Welz, Adam, 2007. "Integrating ecosystem services into conservation assessments: A review," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(4), pages 714-721, September.
- Lockwood, Michael, 1998. "Contribution of Contingent Valuation and Other Stated Preference Methods to Evaluation of Environmental Policy," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 292-311, September.
- Amitrajeet A. Batabyal & Hamid Beladi, 2006. "Renewable Resource Management in Developing Countries: How Long Until Crisis?," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 103-112, 02.
- Dias, Rubens A. & Mattos, Cristiano R. & P. Balestieri, Jose A., 2006. "The limits of human development and the use of energy and natural resources," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1026-1031, June.
- Brito, Daniel, 2005. "The importance of sound biological information and theory for ecological economics studies valuing Brazilian biodiversity: A response to Mendonça et al. (2003)," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 5-10, October.
- Heltberg, Rasmus, 2002. " Property Rights and Natural Resource Management in Developing Countries," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(2), pages 189-214, April.
- Drechsler, Martin & Grimm, Volker & Mysiak, Jaroslav & Watzold, Frank, 2007. "Differences and similarities between ecological and economic models for biodiversity conservation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 232-241, April.
- Engel, Stefanie & Pagiola, Stefano & Wunder, Sven, 2008. "Designing payments for environmental services in theory and practice: An overview of the issues," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(4), pages 663-674, May.
- Gatzweiler, Franz W., 2006. "Organizing a public ecosystem service economy for sustaining biodiversity," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 296-304, September.
- Perez-Maqueo, O. & Intralawan, A. & Martinez, M.L., 2007. "Coastal disasters from the perspective of ecological economics," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2-3), pages 273-284, August.
- Saha, Pranesh Chandra, 2003. "Sustainable energy development: a challenge for Asia and the Pacific region in the 21st century," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(11), pages 1051-1059, September.
- Dale Whittington, 2002.
"Improving the Performance of Contingent Valuation Studies in Developing Countries,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 22(1), pages 323-367, June.
- Dale Whittington, 2007. "Improving the Performance of Contingent Valuation Studies in Developing Countries," EEPSEA Special and Technical Paper sp200709s1, Economy and Environment Program for Southeast Asia (EEPSEA), revised Sep 2007.
- Moseley, William G., 2001. "African evidence on the relation of poverty, time preference and the environment," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 317-326, September.
- Nunes, Paulo A. L. D., 2002. "Using factor analysis to identify consumer preferences for the protection of a natural area in Portugal," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 499-516, July.
- Duncan, Ronald C., 2003. "Agricultural and resource economics and economic development in Aboriginal communities," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 47(3), September.
- Casey, James F. & Kahn, James R. & Rivas, Alexandre A.F., 2008. "Willingness to accept compensation for the environmental risks of oil transport on the Amazon: A choice modeling experiment," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(4), pages 552-559, November.
- Jon Olaf Olaussen & Anders Skonhoft, 2004.
"Managing a Migratory Species that is both a Value and Pest,"
Working Paper Series
3904, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Anders Skonhoft & Jon Olaf Olaussen, 2005. "Managing a Migratory Species That Is Both a Value and a Pest," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 81(1).
- Tao Kong, 2007. "A Selective Review of Recent Developments in the Economic Growth Literature," Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, The Australian National University, vol. 21(1), pages 1-33, 05.
- Curtis, Ian A., 2004. "Valuing ecosystem goods and services: a new approach using a surrogate market and the combination of a multiple criteria analysis and a Delphi panel to assign weights to the attributes," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3-4), pages 163-194, October.
- Stefano Pagiola & Konrad von Ritter & Josh Bishop, 2005. "Assessing the Economic Value of Ecosystem Conservation," Others 0502006, EconWPA.
- Ellis, Frank, 2000. "Rural Livelihoods and Diversity in Developing Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296966.
- Polasky, Stephen & Costello, Christopher & Solow, Andrew, 2005. "The Economics of Biodiversity," Handbook of Environmental Economics, in: K. G. Mäler & J. R. Vincent (ed.), Handbook of Environmental Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 29, pages 1517-1560 Elsevier.
- Loomis, John B. & Gonzalez-Sepulveda, Juan Marcos & Gonzalez-Caban, Armando, 2007. "Spatial Limits of the TCM revisited: Island Effects," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon 9088, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Anders Skonhoft & Anne Borge Johannesen, 2004.
"Tourism, Poaching and Wildlife Conservation: What can Integrated Conservation and Development Projects accomplish?,"
Working Paper Series
4504, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Johannesen, Anne Borge & Skonhoft, Anders, 2005. "Tourism, poaching and wildlife conservation: what can integrated conservation and development projects accomplish?," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 208-226, October.
- Bharat R. Hazari & Ajai Kumar, 2003. "Basic Needs, Property Rights and Degradation Of Commons," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(1), pages 47-56, 01.
- Ninan, K.N. & Sathyapalan, Jyothis, 2005. "The economics of biodiversity conservation: a study of a coffee growing region in the Western Ghats of India," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 61-72, October.
- Antle, John M. & Valdivia, Roberto O., 2006. "Modelling the supply of ecosystem services from agriculture: a minimum-data approach," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(1), March.
- Nijkamp, Peter & Vindigni, Gabriella & Nunes, Paulo A.L.D., 2008. "Economic valuation of biodiversity: A comparative study," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 217-231, September.
- Nunes, Paulo A. L. D. & van den Bergh, Jeroen C. J. M., 2001. "Economic valuation of biodiversity: sense or nonsense?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 203-222, November.
- Ellingson, Lindsey & Seidl, Andrew, 2007. "Comparative analysis of non-market valuation techniques for the Eduardo Avaroa Reserve, Bolivia," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 517-525, January.
- Fisher, Monica, 2004. "Household welfare and forest dependence in Southern Malawi," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(02), pages 135-154, May.
- Hoffmann, Sönke & Hoffmann, Andreas, 2008. "Is there a "true" diversity?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 213-215, April.
- Allen, Bryon P. & Loomis, John B., 2006. "Deriving values for the ecological support function of wildlife: An indirect valuation approach," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 49-57, January.
- Sattout, E.J. & Talhouk, S.N. & Caligari, P.D.S., 2007. "Economic value of cedar relics in Lebanon: An application of contingent valuation method for conservation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2-3), pages 315-322, March.
- Gonzalez-Caban, Armando & Loomis, John, 1997. "Economic benefits of maintaining ecological integrity of Rio Mameyes, in Puerto Rico," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 63-75, April.
- Paulo A.L.D. Nunes & Helen Ding & Laura Onofri, 2007. "An Economic Model for Bioprospecting Contracts," Working Papers 2007.102, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.