Climate Sensitivity of Indian Agriculture Do Spatial Effects Matter?
AbstractClimate change impact studies on agriculture can be broadly divided into those that employ agro-economic approaches and those that employ the Ricardian approach. This study uses the Ricardian approach to examine the impact of climate change on Indian agriculture. Using panel data over a twenty year period and on 271 districts, we estimate the impact of climate change on farm level net revenue.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:2408.
Date of creation: Feb 2010
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
Environmental valuation; Spatial panel data; analysis; Adaptation; climate change; agriculture; agro-economic; ricardian approach; revenue; Indian;
Other versions of this item:
- K. S. Kavi Kumar, 2011. "Climate sensitivity of Indian agriculture: do spatial effects matter?," Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, Cambridge Political Economy Society, vol. 4(2), pages 221-235.
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters
- Q1 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture
- R1 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2010-02-20 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2010-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2010-02-20 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-ENE-2010-02-20 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2010-02-20 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mendelsohn, Robert & Dinar, Ariel & Sanghi, Apurva, 2001. "The effect of development on the climate sensitivity of agriculture," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 85-101, February.
- World Bank, 2008. "Climate Change Impacts in Drought and Flood Affected Areas : Case Studies in India," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8075, The World Bank.
- Wolfram Schlenker & Michael J. Roberts, 2008.
"Estimating the Impact of Climate Change on Crop Yields: The Importance of Nonlinear Temperature Effects,"
NBER Working Papers
13799, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wolfram Schlenker & Michael J. Roberts, 2006. "Estimating the impact of climate change on crop yields: The importance of non-linear temperature effects," Discussion Papers 0607-01, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Dinar, A. & Mendelsohn, R. & Evenson, R. & Parikh, J. & Sanghi, A. & Kumar, K. & McKinsey, J. & Lonergen, S., 1998. "Measuring the Impact of CLimate Change on Indian Agriculture," Papers 402, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Wolfram Schlenker & W. Michael Hanemann & Anthony C. Fisher, 2006. "The Impact of Global Warming on U.S. Agriculture: An Econometric Analysis of Optimal Growing Conditions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 88(1), pages 113-125, February.
- William R. Cline, 2007. "Global Warming and Agriculture: Impact Estimates by Country," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 4037.
- Cline, William R, 1996. "The Impact of Global Warming on Agriculture: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1309-11, December.
- K.S. Kavi Kumar & Kamal Karunagoda & Enamul Haque & L. Venkatachelam & Girish Nath Bahal, 2012. "Addressing Long-term Challenges to Food Security and Rural Livelihoods in South Asia," Working Papers 2012-075, Madras School of Economics,Chennai,India.
- De Salvo, Maria & Raffaelli, Roberta & Moser, Riccarda, 2013. "The impact of climate change on permanent crops in an Alpine region: A Ricardian analysis," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 118(C), pages 23-32.
- Anubhab Pattanayak & K. S. Kavi Kumar, 2013. "Weather Sensitivity of Rice Yield: Evidence from India," Working Papers 2013-081, Madras School of Economics,Chennai,India.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.