Peer Effects And Relative Performance Of Voucher Schools In Chile
AbstractThe empirical literature developed to evaluate the voucher system in Chile faced, up until late 1999, methodological and/or data limitations. Since then, the literature has used individual data and introduced a correction for selection bias. However, the treatment parameters do not take into account that voucher schools work with different budgets. Also, the importance of the peer effect has not been discussed in the treatment literature. In the first section of this paper we control for the amount of additional per capita government funds received by public schools. We find that when public and private voucher schools receive similar per capita subsidies, the effect of treatment on the treated (where treatment is attendance to a private voucher school) is large in magnitude and statistically significant. Since this result could be the consequence of sorting and the peer effect, and not of the effectiveness of private voucher schools, in the second section of the paper we estimate new treatment parameters, controlling for peer group characteristics. However, even when we condition on peer group characteristics, we find a treatment parameter that is positive, large in magnitude and statistically significant (when public and private voucher schools receive similar per capita subsidies). Hence, positive treatment effects are not due to the peer effect and/ or sorting
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings with number 96.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Vouchers; Education; Chile;
Other versions of this item:
- Claudio Sapelli & Bernardita Vial, 2003. "Peer Effects and Relative Performance of Voucher Schools in Chile," Documentos de Trabajo 256, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- I28 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Government Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francisco Gallego, 2002.
"Competencia y Resultados Educativos: TeorÃa y Evidencia para Chile,"
Documentos de Trabajo
217, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Francisco Gallego, 2002. "Competencia y Resultados Educativos: Teoría y Evidencia para Chile," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 39(118), pages 309-352.
- Francisco A. Gallego, 2002. "Competencia y Resultados Educativos: Teoría y Evidencia para Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 150, Central Bank of Chile.
- Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera, 2000. "School Performance and Choice: The Chilean Experience," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 35(2), pages 392-417.
- James J. Heckman & Justin L. Tobias & Edward Vytlacil, 2000. "Simple Estimators for Treatment Parameters in a Latent Variable Framework with an Application to Estimating the Returns to Schooling," NBER Working Papers 7950, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Claudio Sapelli & Bernardita Vial, 2002. "The Performance of Private and Public Schools in the Chilean Voucher System," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 39(118), pages 423-454.
- Harry Anthony Patrinos & Felipe Barrera-Osorio & Juliana Guaqueta, 2009. "The Role and Impact of Public-Private Partnerships in Education," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2612.
- Francisco A. Gallego, 2004. "School Choice, Incentives, and Academic Outcomes: Evidence from Chile," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 39, Econometric Society.
- Idrovo Aguirre, Byron, 2007.
"¿Son las escuelas particulares subvencionadas mejores que las municipales? Estimación de la ecuación de logro escolar para Chile
[Are the subsidized particular schools better than the public sch," MPRA Paper 10665, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.