Simple Estimators for Treatment Parameters in a Latent Variable Framework with an Application to Estimating the Returns to Schooling
AbstractThis paper derives simply computed closed-form expressions for the Average Treatment Effect (ATE), the effect of Treatment on the Treated (TT), Local Average Treatment Effect (LATE) and Marginal Treatment Effect (MTE) in a latent variable framework for both normal and non-normal models. The techniques presented in the paper are applied to estimating a variety of treatment parameters capturing the returns to a college education for various populations using data from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth (NLSY).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 7950.
Date of creation: Oct 2000
Date of revision:
Note: CH LS PE
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C34 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Cawley & Karen Conneely & James Heckman & Edward Vytlacil, 1996. "Cognitive Ability, Wages, and Meritocracy," NBER Working Papers 5645, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James J. Heckman & Edward J. Vytlacil, 2000. "Local Instrumental Variables," NBER Technical Working Papers 0252, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera, 2002.
"Equity and Educational Performance,"
Documentos de Trabajo
136, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Flore Gubert & François Roubaud, 2005. "Analyser l’impact d’un projet de Micro-finance : l’exemple d’ADéFI à Madagascar," Working Papers DT/2005/14, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Aakvik, Arild & Salvanes, Kjell G & Vaage, Kjell, 2003.
"Measuring Heterogeneity in the Returns to Education in Norway Using Educational Reforms,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4088, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aakvik, Arild & Salvanes, Kjell G. & Vaage, Kjell, 2003. "Measuring Heterogeneity in the Returns to Education in Norway Using Educational Reforms," Working Papers in Economics 08/03, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Aakvik, Arild & Salvanes, Kjell G. & Vaage, Kjell, 2003. "Measuring Heterogeneity in the Returns to Education in Norway Using Educational Reforms," IZA Discussion Papers 815, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Martin Chalkley & Colin Tilley, 2002.
"Treatment Intensity and Provider Remuneration: Dentists in the British National Health Service,"
Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics
135, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Martin Chalkley & Colin Tilley, 2006. "Treatment intensity and provider remuneration: dentists in the British National Health Service," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(9), pages 933-946.
- Alejandra Cattaneo & Rainer Winkelmann, 2005.
"Earnings Differentials between German and French speakers in Switzerland,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 141(II), pages 191-212, June.
- Alejandra Cattaneo & Rainer Winkelmann, 2003. "Earning Differentials between German and French Speakers in Switzerland," SOI - Working Papers 0309, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich, revised Nov 2003.
- Michael B. Coelli & David A. Green & William P. Warburton, 2004.
"Breaking the cycle? The effect of education on welfare receipt among children of welfare recipients,"
IFS Working Papers
W04/14, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Coelli, Michael B. & Green, David A. & Warburton, William P., 2007. "Breaking the cycle? The effect of education on welfare receipt among children of welfare recipients," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(7-8), pages 1369-1398, August.
- Michael Gerfin & Robert E. Leu & Reto Nyffeler, 2003. "Berufliche Weiterbildung in der Schweiz," Diskussionsschriften dp0318, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- M. Genius & E. Strazzera, 2003. "The copula approach of sampling selection modelling: an application to the recreational value of forests," Working Paper CRENoS 200308, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Fajnzylber, Pablo & Maloney, William F. & Rojas, Gabriel V. Montes, 2006. "Releasing constraints to growth or pushing on a string ? the impact of credit, training, business associations, and taxes on the performance of Mexican micro-firms," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3807, The World Bank.
- Mark Dusheiko & Hugh Gravelle & Rowena Jacobs, 2004. "The effect of practice budgets on patient waiting times: allowing for selection bias," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(10), pages 941-958.
- Calderón-Madrid, Angel & Trejo, Belem, 2002. "The Impact of the Mexican Training Program for Unemployed Workers on Re-employment Dynamics and on Earnings," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 A2-1, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Claudio Sapelli & Bernardita Vial, 2003.
"Peer Effects and Relative Performance of Voucher Schools in Chile,"
Documentos de Trabajo
256, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Bernardita Vial & Claudio Sapelli, 2004. "Peer Effects And Relative Performance Of Voucher Schools In Chile," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 96, Econometric Society.
- Andrén, Thomas & Andrén, Daniela, 2004.
"Assessing The Employment Effects Of Vocational Training Using A One-Factor Model,"
Working Papers in Economics
133, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Thomas Andren & Daniela Andren, 2006. "Assessing the employment effects of vocational training using a one-factor model," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(21), pages 2469-2486.
- Claudio Sapelli & Bernardita Vial, 2005. "Private vs Public Voucher Schools in Chile: New Evidence on Efficiency and Peer Effects," Documentos de Trabajo 289, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Víctor Elías & Fernanda Ruiz Núñez & Ricardo Cossa & David Bravo, 2004. "An Econometric Cost-Benefit Analysis of Argentina's Youth Training Program," Research Department Publications 3174, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Adolfo Sachsida & Mario Jorge C. de Mendonça & Fabio Stallivieri, 2007. "Ex-Convicts Face Multiple Labor Market Punishments: Estimates of Peer-Group and Stigma Effects Using Equations of Returns to Schooling," Economia, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics], vol. 8(3), pages .503â520.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.