Time Series Forecasts of International Tourism Demand for Australia
AbstractThis paper examines stationary and nonstationary time series by formally testing for the presence of unit roots and seasonal unit roots prior to estimation, model selection and forecasting. Various Box-Jenkins Autoregressive Integrated Moving Average (ARIMA) models are estimated over the period 1975(1)-1989(4) for tourist arrivals to Australia from Hong Kong, Malaysia and Singapore. The mean absolute percentage error (MAPE) and root mean squared error (RMSE) are used as measures of forecast accuracy. As the best fitting ARIMA model is found to have the lowest RMSE, it is used to obtain post-sample forecasts. Tourist arrivals data for 1990(1) to 1996(4) are compared with the forecast performance of the ARIMA model for each origin market. The fitted ARIMA model forecasts tourist arrivals from Singapore between 1990(1)-1996(4) very well. Although the ARIMA model outperforms the seasonal ARIMA models for Hong Kong and Malaysia, the forecast of tourist arrivals is not as accurate as in the case of Singapore.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University in its series ISER Discussion Paper with number 0533.
Date of creation: Apr 2001
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christine Lim & Michael McAleer, 2000. "A seasonal analysis of Asian tourist arrivals to Australia," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 32(4), pages 499-509.
- Hylleberg, S. & Engle, R. F. & Granger, C. W. J. & Yoo, B. S., 1990.
"Seasonal integration and cointegration,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 215-238.
- Hylleberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988. "Seasonal, Integration And Cointegration," Papers 6-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Hyllerberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988. "Seasonal Integration And Cointegration," Papers 0-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Martin, Christine A. & Witt, Stephen F., 1989. "Forecasting tourism demand: A comparison of the accuracy of several quantitative methods," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 7-19.
- Boopen, Seetanah, 2005. "Transport Capital as a Determinant of Tourism Development: A Time Series Approach," MPRA Paper 25402, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 07 Nov 2006.
- Burcu Kiran, 2010. "The Structure of Tourism Revenues in Turkey: Evidence from Fractional Integration under Multiple Structural Breaks," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 4, pages 85-96.
- Naudé, Wim & Saayman, Andrea, 2005. "Determinants of tourist arrivals in Africa: a panel data regression analysis," MPRA Paper 16479, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chang, C-L. & Khamkaew, T. & McAleer, M.J. & Tansuchat, R., 2009.
"Interdependence of international tourism demand and volatility in leading ASEAN destinations,"
Econometric Institute Report
EI 2009-36, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Econometric Institute.
- Chia-Ling Chang & Thanchanok Khamkaew & Michael McAleer & Roengchai Tansuchat, 2009. "Interdependence of International Tourism Demand and Volatility in Leading ASEAN Destinations," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-687, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Chia-Ling Chang & Thanchanok Khamkaew & Michael McAleer & Roengchai Tansuchat, 2009. "Interdependence of International Tourism Demand and Volatility in Leading ASEAN Destinations," CARF F-Series CARF-F-190, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Thanchanok Khamkaew & Michael McAleer & Roengchai Tansuchat, 2010. "Interdependence of International Tourism Demand and Volatility in Leading ASEAN Destinations," KIER Working Papers 719, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Thanchanok Khamkaew & Michael McAleer & Roengchai Tansuchat, 2010. "Interdependence of International Tourism Demand and Volatility in Leading ASEAN Destinations," Working Papers in Economics 10/27, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Chevallier, Julien & Chèze, Benoît & Gastineau, Pascal, 2011.
"Forecasting world and regional aviation Jet-Fuel demands to the mid term (2025),"
Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© Paris-Dauphine
urn:hdl:123456789/6792, Université Paris-Dauphine.
- Chèze, Benoît & Gastineau, Pascal & Chevallier, Julien, 2011. "Forecasting world and regional aviation jet fuel demands to the mid-term (2025)," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 5147-5158, September.
- George Athanasopoulos & Rob J. Hyndman, 2006. "Modelling and forecasting Australian domestic tourism," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 19/06, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Arias Martín, Pedro, 2013. "La situación del empleo en turismo rural en España/The Employment Situation in Rural Tourism in Spain," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 31, pages 257 (22pags, Enero.
- Juncal Cuñado & Luis A. Gil-Alaña, 2007.
"Tourism in the Canary Islands: Forecasting Using Several Seasonal Time Series Models,"
Faculty Working Papers
02/07, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Luis A. Gil-Alana & Juncal Cunado & Fernando Perez de Gracia, 2008. "Tourism in the Canary Islands: forecasting using several seasonal time series models," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(7), pages 621-636.
- Juncal Cuñado & Alberiko Gil-Alana, Luis & Perez De Gracia, Fernando, 2011. "Modelling International Monthly Tourist in Spain/Modelización de llegadas mensuales de turistas a España," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 29, pages 723-736, Diciembre.
- Petrevska, Biljana, 2012. "Forecasting International Tourism Demand: The Evidence Of Macedonia," UTMS Journal of Economics, University of Tourism and Management, Skopje, Macedonia, vol. 3(1), pages 45-55.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan, 2006. "Are Australia's tourism markets converging?," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 38(10), pages 1153-1162.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fumiko Matsumoto).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.