Determinants of tourist arrivals in Africa: a panel data regression analysis
AbstractAfrica’s tourism potential is acknowledged to be significant but underdeveloped. This paper uses both cross-section data and panel data for the period 1996–2000 to identify the determinants of tourism arrivals in 43 African countries, taking into account tourists’ country of origin. The results strongly suggest that political stability, tourism infrastructure, marketing and information, and the level of development at the destination are key determinants of travel to Africa. Typical ‘developed country determinants’ of tourism demand, such as the level of income in the origin country, the relative prices and the cost of travel, are not so significant in explaining the demand for Africa as a tourism destination. It is therefore recommended that attention should be given to improving the overall stability of the continent and the availability and quantity of tourism infrastructure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 16479.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Africa; tourism; tourism arrivals;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O55 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Africa
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sachs, Jeffrey D & Warner, Andrew M, 1997.
"Sources of Slow Growth in African Economies,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 6(3), pages 335-76, October.
- Song, Haiyan & Witt, Stephen F. & Jensen, Thomas C., 2003. "Tourism forecasting: accuracy of alternative econometric models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 123-141.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Jonas Nordström, 2005.
"Dynamic and stochastic structures in tourism demand modeling,"
Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 379-392, 09.
- Nordström, Jonas, 2002. "Dynamic and Stochastic Structures in Tourism Demand Modelling," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 596, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- John Luke Gallup & Jeffrey D. Sachs, 2000. "The Economic Burden of Malaria," CID Working Papers 52, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Gallup, J.L. & Sachs, J.D. & Mullinger, A., 1999. "Geography and Economic Development," Papers 1, Chicago - Graduate School of Business.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001.
"Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262232197, June.
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2010. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262232588, June.
- Haiyan Song & Peter Romilly & Xiaming Liu, 2000. "An empirical study of outbound tourism demand in the UK," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(5), pages 611-624.
- Witt, Stephen F. & Witt, Christine A., 1995. "Forecasting tourism demand: A review of empirical research," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 447-475, September.
- Christine Lim & Michael McAleer, 2001. "Time Series Forecasts of International Tourism Demand for Australia," ISER Discussion Paper 0533, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Pollak, Robert A, 1970. "Habit Formation and Dynamic Demand Functions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(4), pages 745-63, Part I Ju.
- Diamond, J, 1976. "Tourism and Development Policy: A Quantitative Appraisal," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(1), pages 36-50, May.
- W.A. NaudÈ & W.F. Krugell, 2003.
"An Inquiry into Cities and their Role in Subnational Economic Growth in South Africa,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 12(4), pages 476-499, December.
- Naude, Wim & Krugell, W.F., 2004. "An Inquiry into Cities and Their Role in Subnational Economic Growth in South Africa," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Anderson, T. W. & Hsiao, Cheng, 1982. "Formulation and estimation of dynamic models using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 47-82, January.
- John Luke Gallup & Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew Mellinger, 1999. "Geography and Economic Development," CID Working Papers 1, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Robert Cleverdon, 2002. "Tourism development in the SADC region: The opportunities and challenges," Development Southern Africa, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 7-28.
- du Preez, Johann & Witt, Stephen F., 2003. "Univariate versus multivariate time series forecasting: an application to international tourism demand," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 435-451.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- F. J. Ledesma-Rodríguez & M. Navarro-Ibánez & J. V. Pérez-Rodríguez, . "Panel data and tourism demand. The case of Tenerife," Working Papers 99-17, FEDEA.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart & Zoido-Lobaton, Pablo, 1999. "Aggregating governance indicators," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2195, The World Bank.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Peter Kennedy, 2003. "A Guide to Econometrics, 5th Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 5, volume 1, number 026261183x, June.
- Melville Saayman & Andrea Saayman & Juliet Rhodes, 2001. "Domestic tourist spending and economic development: The case of the North West Province," Development Southern Africa, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 18(4), pages 443-455.
- Giscard Assoumou Ella, 2013. "The viability of an economic and monetary union in Africa with a unified currency: evidence from the African economies' reactions to the international income, price and monetary shocks," Working Papers hal-00851594, HAL.
- Shawn Arita & Sumner La Croix & James Mak, 2012.
"How Big? The Impact of Approved Destination Status on Mainland Chinese Travel Abroad,"
201212, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Shawn Arita & Sumner La Croix & James Mak, 2012. "How Big? The Impact of Approved Destination Status on Mainland Chinese Travel Abroad," Working Papers 2012-3, University of Hawaii Economic Research Organization, University of Hawaii at Manoa.
- Chukiat Chaiboonsri & Jittaporn Sriboonjit & Thanes Sriwichailamphan & Prasert Chaitip & Songsak Sriboonchitta, 2010. "A Panel Cointegration Analysis: An Application To International Tourism Demand Of Thailand," Annals of the University of Petrosani, Economics, University of Petrosani, Romania, vol. 10(3), pages 69-86.
- Naudé, Wim, 2010.
"Africa and the global economic crisis: A Risk assessment and action guide,"
19856, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wim Naudé, 2010. "Africa And The Global Economic Crisis: A Risk Assessment And Action Guide," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 27, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- Wim Naudé, 2010. "Africa And The Global Economic Crisis: A Risk Assessment And Action Guide," RSCAS Working Papers 2010/27, European University Institute.
- Johan Fourie & Maria Santana-Gallego, 2011.
"The Determinants of African Tourism,"
260, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Massidda, Carla & Etzo, Ivan, 2010. "Domestic tourism demand in Italy: a Fixed Effect Vector Decomposition estimation," MPRA Paper 26073, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniel Albalate & Germà Bel, 2008. "Tourism and urban transport: Holding demand pressure under supply constraints," Working Papers XREAP2008-14, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Dec 2008.
- Chukiat Chaiboonsri & Prasert Chaitip & N. Rangaswamy, 2008. "A Panel Unit Root and Panel Cointegration Test of the Modeling International Tourism Demand in India," Annals of the University of Petrosani, Economics, University of Petrosani, Romania, vol. 8(1), pages 95-124.
- James Roumasset & Christopher Wada, 2012.
"The Economics of Groundwater,"
201211, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Eita, Joel Hinaunye & Jordaan, Andre C., 2007. "Estimating The Tourism Potential In Namibia," MPRA Paper 5788, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Elgin, Ceyhun, 2013.
"Internet usage and the shadow economy: Evidence from panel data,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 111-121.
- Ceyhun Elgin, 2012. "Internet Usage and the Shadow Economy: Evidence from Panel Data," Working Papers 2012/09, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Bouzahzah, Mohamed & El Menyari, Younesse, 2012.
"Les déterminants de la demande touristique: le cas du Maroc
[Determinants of tourism demand: the case of Morocco]," MPRA Paper 39029, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 25 May 2012.
- Prasert Chaitip & Chukiat Chaiboonsri, 2009. "A Panel Cointegration Analysis: Thailand’s International Tourism Demand Model," Annals of the University of Petrosani, Economics, University of Petrosani, Romania, vol. 9(1), pages 129-142.
- repec:ecu:wpaper:2009-10 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.