Factors Influencing Tenure Choice in European Countries
AbstractHomeownership rates are very different across European countries. They range from below 50% in Germany to over 80% in Greece, Spain or Ireland. However the differences lie not only in the overall homeownership rates but also in its structure, and this is the focus of this paper. Its aim is to study the impact of microeconomic factors on household's tenure choice, using a cross-country comparative approach. Logit models are constructed for each country using data for year 2000 from the Consortium of Household Panels for European Socio-Economic Research micro-database. The models show that marriage is a significant determinant of the decision to move to homeownership in all analysed countries, while co-habitating households are more likely to rent, except for Denmark. Nationality, income and age proved to be significant explanatory variables in several countries, while staying insignificant in others.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP) in its series SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research with number 186.
Length: 19 p.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Tenure choice; homeownership; housing;
Other versions of this item:
- Monika Bazyl, 2009. "Factors Influencing Tenure Choice in European Countries," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, CEJEME, vol. 1(4), pages 371-387, December.
- Bazyl, Monika, 2009. "Factors Influencing Tenure Choice in European Countries," ERES, European Real Estate Society (ERES) eres2009_106, European Real Estate Society (ERES).
- Bazyl, Monika, 2009. "Factors influencing tenure choice in European countries," IRISS Working Paper Series, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD 2009-04, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Monika Bazyl, 2009. "Factors influencing tenure choice in European countries," Working Papers, Department of Applied Econometrics, Warsaw School of Economics 36, Department of Applied Econometrics, Warsaw School of Economics.
- D10 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - General
- R20 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-05-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2009-05-30 (European Economics)
- NEP-URE-2009-05-30 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Andrew, 2004. "A Permanent Change in the Route to Owner Occupation?," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 51(1), pages 24-48, 02.
- Mary O'Mahony & Marcel P. Timmer, 2009. "Output, Input and Productivity Measures at the Industry Level: The EU KLEMS Database," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(538), pages F374-F403, 06.
- Bourassa, Steven C, 2000. "Ethnicity, Endogeneity, and Housing Tenure Choice," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 323-41, May.
- Mark Andrew & Geoffrey Meen, 2003. "Housing Transactions and the Changing Decisions of Young Households in Britain: The Microeconomic Evidence," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 31(1), pages 117-138, 03.
- Philippe Van Kerm, 2013.
"Generalized measures of wage differentials,"
Empirical Economics, Springer,
Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 465-482, August.
- Van Kerm, Philippe, 2009. "Generalized measures of wage differentials," IRISS Working Paper Series, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD 2009-08, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Van Kerm, Philippe, 2009. "Generalized measures of wage differentials," ISER Working Paper Series 2009-26, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Braun, Frauke G., 2010. "Determinants of households' space heating type: A discrete choice analysis for German households," Energy Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 5493-5503, October.
- Dagmar Špalková & Jiøí Špalek, 2013. "Housing Tenure Choice and Housing Expenditures in the Czech Republic," Working Papers, Masaryk University, Faculty of Economics and Administration, Department of Public Economics 11, Masaryk University, Faculty of Economics and Administration, Department of Public Economics, revised Aug 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.