Determinants of households' space heating type: A discrete choice analysis for German households
AbstractConsidering the increasing attention on efficient use of energy, it becomes vitally important to understand the energy-related behavior of households. This article presents empirical evidence on the determinants of the space heating technology applied by a household. Three sets of variables are examined as potential influences--building, socio-economic, and regional characteristics. To highlight both the differences and similarities, the results are obtained from a sample of house owners, and from a sample including all households. The influence of socio-economic factors is similar across these groups. Income is found to exert only a minor impact on the system choice. Dwelling features are significant in determining the heating type, particularly in the sample including all households. Regional effects are important--clear differences prevail between East and West Germany.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Policy.
Volume (Year): 38 (2010)
Issue (Month): 10 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/enpol
Residential energy demand Heating Discrete choice;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Borsch-Supan, Axel & Heiss, Florian & Seko, Miki, 2001.
"Housing Demand in Germany and Japan,"
Journal of Housing Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 229-252, September.
- Vaage, Kjell, 2000.
"Heating technology and energy use: a discrete/continuous choice approach to Norwegian household energy demand,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 649-666, December.
- Vaage, K., 2000. "heating Technology and Energy Use: a Discrete/Continuous Choice Approach to Norwegian Household Energy Demand," Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen 214, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Greening, Lorna A. & Ting, Michael & Krackler, Thomas J., 2001. "Effects of changes in residential end-uses and behavior on aggregate carbon intensity: comparison of 10 OECD countries for the period 1970 through 1993," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 153-178, March.
- Yamasaki, Eiji & Tominaga, Norio, 1997. "Evolution of an aging society and effect on residential energy demand," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(11), pages 903-912, September.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Smyth, Russell & Prasad, Arti, 2007. "Electricity consumption in G7 countries: A panel cointegration analysis of residential demand elasticities," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 4485-4494, September.
- Monika Bazyl, 2009.
"Factors influencing tenure choice in European countries,"
36, Department of Applied Econometrics, Warsaw School of Economics.
- Monika Bazyl, 2009. "Factors Influencing Tenure Choice in European Countries," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, vol. 1(4), pages 371-387, December.
- Bazyl, Monika, 2009. "Factors influencing tenure choice in European countries," IRISS Working Paper Series 2009-04, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Monika Bazyl, 2009. "Factors Influencing Tenure Choice in European Countries," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 186, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- D. McFadden & J. Hausman, 1981.
"Specification Tests for the Multinominal Logit Model,"
292, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hausman, Jerry & McFadden, Daniel, 1984. "Specification Tests for the Multinomial Logit Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(5), pages 1219-40, September.
- Kerkhof, Annemarie C. & Benders, Ren M.J. & Moll, Henri C., 2009. "Determinants of variation in household CO2 emissions between and within countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1509-1517, April.
- Nesbakken, Runa, 1999. "Price sensitivity of residential energy consumption in Norway," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 493-515, December.
- Mansur, Erin T. & Mendelsohn, Robert & Morrison, Wendy, 2008. "Climate change adaptation: A study of fuel choice and consumption in the US energy sector," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 175-193, March.
- Gert G. Wagner & Joachim R. Frick & Jürgen Schupp, 2007.
"The German Socio-Economic Panel Study (SOEP): Scope, Evolution and Enhancements,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
1, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Gert G. Wagner & Joachim R. Frick & Jürgen Schupp, 2007. "The German Socio-Economic Panel Study (SOEP) – Scope, Evolution and Enhancements," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 127(1), pages 139-169.
- J. Scott Long & Jeremy Freese, 2006. "Regression Models for Categorical Dependent Variables using Stata, 2nd Edition," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, edition 2, number long2, March.
- Ai, Chunrong & Norton, Edward C., 2003. "Interaction terms in logit and probit models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 123-129, July.
- Blesl, Markus & Das, Anjana & Fahl, Ulrich & Remme, Uwe, 2007. "Role of energy efficiency standards in reducing CO2 emissions in Germany: An assessment with TIMES," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 772-785, February.
- Baker, Paul & Blundell, Richard & Micklewright, John, 1989. "Modelling Household Energy Expenditures Using Micro-data," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 720-38, September.
- Weber, Christoph & Perrels, Adriaan, 2000. "Modelling lifestyle effects on energy demand and related emissions," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 549-566, July.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Rehdanz, Katrin, 2007.
"Determinants of residential space heating expenditures in Germany,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 167-182, March.
- Katrin Rehdanz, 2005. "Determinants Of Residential Space Heating Expenditures In Germany," Working Papers FNU-66, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Dec 2005.
- Newell, Richard G. & Pizer, William A., 2008. "Carbon mitigation costs for the commercial building sector: Discrete-continuous choice analysis of multifuel energy demand," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 527-539, December.
- Schuler, Andreas & Weber, Christoph & Fahl, Ulrich, 2000. "Energy consumption for space heating of West-German households: empirical evidence, scenario projections and policy implications," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 877-894, October.
- Reilly, J. M. & Shankle, S. A., 1988. "Auxiliary heating in the residential sector," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 29-41, January.
- Liao, Huei-Chu & Chang, Tsai-Feng, 2002. "Space-heating and water-heating energy demands of the aged in the US," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 267-284, May.
- Dubin, Jeffrey A & McFadden, Daniel L, 1984. "An Econometric Analysis of Residential Electric Appliance Holdings and Consumption," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 345-62, March.
- Baker, Paul & Blundell, Richard, 1991. "The Microeconometric Approach to Modelling Energy Demand: Some Results for UK Households," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(2), pages 54-76, Summer.
- K. K. Lancaster, 2010. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1385, David K. Levine.
- Yoo, Seung-Hoon & Lee, Joo Suk & Kwak, Seung-Jun, 2007. "Estimation of residential electricity demand function in Seoul by correction for sample selection bias," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 5702-5707, November.
- Hansen, Ulf, 1996. "Restructuring the East German energy system," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 553-562, June.
- Arie ten Cate, 2012. "The socially optimal energy transition in a residential neighbourhood in the Netherlands," CPB Discussion Paper 222, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Michelsen , Carl Christian & Madlener, Reinhard, 2013. "Switching from Fossil Fuel to Renewables in Residential Heating Systems: An Empirical Study of Homeowners’ Decisions in Germany," FCN Working Papers 14/2013, E.ON Energy Research Center, Future Energy Consumer Needs and Behavior (FCN).
- Michelsen, Carl Christian & Madlener, Reinhard, 2011. "Homeowners' Motivation to Adopt a Residential Heating System: A Principal-Component Analysis," FCN Working Papers 17/2011, E.ON Energy Research Center, Future Energy Consumer Needs and Behavior (FCN), revised Jan 2013.
- Michelsen, Carl Christian & Madlener, Reinhard, 2013. "Motivational factors influencing the homeowners’ decisions between residential heating systems: An empirical analysis for Germany," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 221-233.
- Cansino, José M. & Pablo-Romero, María del P. & Román, Rocío & Yñiguez, Rocío, 2011. "Promoting renewable energy sources for heating and cooling in EU-27 countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 3803-3812, June.
- Dieckhoener, Caroline & Hecking, Harald, 2012. "Greenhouse Gas Abatement Cost Curves of the Residential Heating Market – a Microeconomic Approach," EWI Working Papers 2012-16, Energiewirtschaftliches Institut an der Universitaet zu Koeln.
- Michelsen, Carl Christian & Madlener, Reinhard, 2011. "Homeowners' Preferences for Adopting Residential Heating Systems: A Discrete Choice Analysis for Germany," FCN Working Papers 9/2011, E.ON Energy Research Center, Future Energy Consumer Needs and Behavior (FCN).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.