Housing Transactions and the Changing Decisions of Young Households in Britain: The Microeconomic Evidence
AbstractIn this second of two related papers in this issue, the causes of declining levels of housing transactions in Britain during the 1990s are explored. The lower transaction levels resulted partly from the changing behavior of young individuals. Both household formation and owner-occupation rates of these groups also fell sharply. Using panel data, we investigate the causes of reduced new household formation and owner-occupation, finding that changes in the income distribution away from young cohorts have been an important factor. Copyright 2003 American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association in its journal Real Estate Economics.
Volume (Year): 31 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, 1309 East Tenth Street, Suite 738, Bloomington, Indiana 47405
Phone: (812) 855-7794
Fax: (812) 855-8679
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1080-8620
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sven Rady & François Ortalo-Magné, 2001.
"Housing Market Dynamics: On the Contribution of Income Shocks and Credit Constraints,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
470, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ortalo-Magné, François & Rady, Sven, 2001. "Housing Market Dynamics: On the Contribution of Income Shocks and Credit Constraints," CEPR Discussion Papers 3015, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ortalo-Magné, François & Rady, Sven, 2005. "Housing Market Dynamics: On the Contribution of Income Shocks and Credit Constraint," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 50, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Sven Rady, 2001. "Housing Market Dynamics: on the Contribution of Income Shocks and Credit Constraints," FMG Discussion Papers dp375, Financial Markets Group.
- François Ortalo-Magné & Sven Rady, 2002. "Housing Market Dynamics: On the Contribution of Income Shocks and Credit Constraints," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 02-01, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Benito, Andrew, 2006. "The down-payment constraint and UK housing market: Does the theory fit the facts?," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-20, March.
- Bazyl, Monika, 2009.
"Factors influencing tenure choice in European countries,"
IRISS Working Paper Series
2009-04, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Monika Bazyl, 2009. "Factors Influencing Tenure Choice in European Countries," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, vol. 1(4), pages 371-387, December.
- Monika Bazyl, 2009. "Factors influencing tenure choice in European countries," Working Papers 36, Department of Applied Econometrics, Warsaw School of Economics.
- Monika Bazyl, 2009. "Factors Influencing Tenure Choice in European Countries," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 186, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Kenneth Gibb & Christian Nygaard, 2005. "The Impact of Buy to Let Residential Investment on Local Housing Markets: Evidence from Glasgow, Scotland," European Journal of Housing Policy, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 5(3), pages 301-326, December.
- Andrew, Mark & Haurin, Donald & Munasib, Abdul, 2006. "Explaining the route to owner-occupation: A transatlantic comparison," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 189-216, September.
- Olympia Bover, 2010.
"Housing purchases and the dynamics of housing wealth,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
1036, Banco de Espa�a.
- Bover, Olympia, 2010. "Housing purchases and the dynamics of housing wealth," CEPR Discussion Papers 8128, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew Benito, 2006. "How does the down-payment constraint affect the UK housing market?," Bank of England working papers 294, Bank of England.
- Meen, Geoffrey & Andrew, Mark, 2004. "On the use of policy to reduce housing market segmentation," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 727-751, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.