Review of Heuristic Optimization Methods in Econometrics
AbstractEstimation and modelling problems as they arise in many fields often turn out to be intractable by standard numerical methods. One way to deal with such a situation consists in simplifying models and procedures. However, the solutions to these simplified problems might not be satisfying. A different approach consists in applying optimization heuristics such as evolutionary algorithms (Simulated Annealing, Threshold Accepting), Neural Networks, Genetic Algorithms, Tabu Search, hybrid methods and many others, which have been developed over the last two decades. Although the use of these methods became more standard in several fields of sciences, their use in estimation and modelling in econometrics appears to be still limited. We present an introduction to heuristic optimization methods and provide some examples for which these methods are found to work efficiently.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by COMISEF in its series Working Papers with number 001.
Length: 48 pages
Date of creation: 09 Sep 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.comisef.eu
Other versions of this item:
- Manfred GILLI & Peter WINKER, . "A review of heuristic optimization methods in econometrics," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 08-12, Swiss Finance Institute.
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kapetanios, George, 2007. "Variable selection in regression models using nonstandard optimisation of information criteria," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 4-15, September.
- Peter Winker, 2000. "Optimized Multivariate Lag Structure Selection," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 16(1/2), pages 87-103, October.
- Goffe, William L. & Ferrier, Gary D. & Rogers, John, 1994. "Global optimization of statistical functions with simulated annealing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 65-99.
- Baragona, Roberto & Battaglia, Francesco & Calzini, Claudio, 2001. "Genetic algorithms for the identification of additive and innovation outliers in time series," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 1-12, July.
- Maddala, G S & Nelson, Forrest D, 1974. "Maximum Likelihood Methods for Models of Markets in Disequilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(6), pages 1013-30, November.
- S. P. Brooks & N. Friel & R. King, 2003. "Classical model selection via simulated annealing," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(2), pages 503-520.
- Baragona, R. & Battaglia, F. & Cucina, D., 2004. "Fitting piecewise linear threshold autoregressive models by means of genetic algorithms," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 277-295, September.
- Kwami Adanu, 2006. "Optimizing the Garch Model–An Application of Two Global and Two Local Search Methods," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 28(3), pages 277-290, October.
- Dorsey, Robert E & Mayer, Walter J, 1995.
"Genetic Algorithms for Estimation Problems with Multiple Optima, Nondifferentiability, and Other Irregular Features,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 53-66, January.
- Michael B. Gordy, . "GA.M: A Matlab routine for function maximization using a Genetic Algorithm," Matlab codes ga, , revised 12 Feb 1996.
- Dietmar Bauer & Martin Wagner, 2000.
"Estimating Cointegrated Systems Using Subspace Algorithms,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0293, Econometric Society.
- Bauer, Dietmar & Wagner, Martin, 2002. "Estimating cointegrated systems using subspace algorithms," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 111(1), pages 47-84, November.
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Winker, Peter, 2007. "Improving the computation of censored quantile regressions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 88-108, September.
- Yang, Zheng & Tian, Zheng & Yuan, Zixia, 2007. "GSA-based maximum likelihood estimation for threshold vector error correction model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 109-120, September.
- Anna Staszewska, 2006.
"Representing Uncertainty about Response Paths: the Use of Heuristic Optimisation Methods,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2006
379, Society for Computational Economics.
- Staszewska, Anna, 2007. "Representing uncertainty about response paths: The use of heuristic optimisation methods," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 121-132, September.
- Dietmar Maringer & Peter Winker, 2004. "Optimal Lag Structure Selection in VEC-Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 155, Society for Computational Economics.
- Kapetanios, George, 2006. "Choosing the optimal set of instruments from large instrument sets," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 612-620, November.
- Eduardo Acosta-González & Fernando Fernández-Rodríguez, 2007. "Model selection via genetic algorithms illustrated with cross-country growth data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 313-337, September.
- Chipman, J. & Winker, P., 2005. "Optimal aggregation of linear time series models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 311-331, April.
- Helmut Luetkepohl, 2007. "Econometric Analysis with Vector Autoregressive Models," Economics Working Papers ECO2007/11, European University Institute.
- Jurgen Doornik & Marius Ooms, 2003.
"Multimodality in the GARCH Regression Model,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2003-W20, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Winker, Peter, 1995. "Identification of multivariate AR-models by threshold accepting," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 295-307, September.
- Alcock, Jamie & Burrage, Kevin, 2004. "A genetic estimation algorithm for parameters of stochastic ordinary differential equations," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 255-275, September.
- Winker, Peter & Maringer, Dietmar, 2005. "The convergence of optimization based estimators : theory and application to a GARCH-model," Discussion Papers 2005,004E, University of Erfurt, Faculty of Economics, Law and Social Sciences.
- Hawkins, Dollena S. & Allen, David M. & Stromberg, Arnold J., 2001. "Determining the number of components in mixtures of linear models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 15-48, November.
- Chao, John C. & Phillips, Peter C. B., 1999.
"Model selection in partially nonstationary vector autoregressive processes with reduced rank structure,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 227-271, August.
- John C. Chao & Peter C.B. Phillips, 1997. "Model Selection in Partially Nonstationary Vector Autoregressive Processes with Reduced Rank Structure," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1155, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Jakob Grazzini, 2011. "Consistent Estimation of Agent Based Models," LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series 110, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Makram El-Shagi, 2011.
"An evolutionary algorithm for the estimation of threshold vector error correction models,"
International Economics and Economic Policy,
Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 341-362, December.
- Makram El-Shagi, 2010. "An Evolutionary Algorithm for the Estimation of Threshold Vector Error Correction Models," IWH Discussion Papers 1, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Manfred Gilli & Enrico Schumann, 2009. "Heuristic Optimisation in Financial Modelling," Working Papers 007, COMISEF.
- Liu, Yu-Hsin, 2011. "Incorporating scatter search and threshold accepting in finding maximum likelihood estimates for the multinomial probit model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(1), pages 130-138, May.
- Jakob Grazzini & Matteo G. Richiardi, 2013.
"Consistent Estimation of Agent-Based Models by Simulated Minimum Distance,"
LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series
130, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Grazzini, Jakob & Richiardi, Matteo, 2013. "Consistent Estimation of Agent-Based Models by Simulated Minimum Distance," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 201335, University of Turin.
- Ardia, David & Boudt, Kris & Carl, Peter & Mullen, Katharine M. & Peterson, Brian, 2010. "Differential Evolution (DEoptim) for Non-Convex Portfolio Optimization," MPRA Paper 22135, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bjoern Fastrich & Sandra Paterlini & Peter Winker, 2011.
"Cardinality versus q-Norm Constraints for Index Tracking,"
Center for Economic Research (RECent)
056, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics.
- Bjöern Fastrich & Sandra Paterlini & Peter Winker, 2011. "Cardinality versus q-Norm Constraints for Index Tracking," Department of Economics 0642, University of Modena and Reggio E., Faculty of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Jin Zhang & Dietmar Maringer, 2010. "Asset Allocation under Hierarchical Clustering," Working Papers 036, COMISEF.
- Peter Winker & Marianna Lyra & Chris Sharpe, 2008. "Least Median of Squares Estimation by Optimization Heuristics with an Application to the CAPM and Multi Factor Models," Working Papers 006, COMISEF.
- Grazzini Jakob, 2011. "Estimating Micromotives from Macrobehavior," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 201111, University of Turin.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anil Khuman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.