Multi-regime models for nonlinear nonstationary time series
AbstractNonlinear nonstationary models for time series are considered, where the series is generated from an autoregressive equation whose coe±cients change both according to time and the delayed values of the series itself, switching between several regimes. The transition from one regime to the next one may be discontinuous (self-exciting threshold model), smooth (smooth transition model) or continuous linear (piecewise linear threshold model). A genetic algorithm for identifying and estimating such models is proposed, and its behavior is evaluated through a simulation study and application to temperature data and a financial index.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by COMISEF in its series Working Papers with number 026.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 28 Jan 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.comisef.eu
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2010-04-17 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2010-04-17 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-ORE-2010-04-17 (Operations Research)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Cahiers de recherche
9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Lin, Chien-Fu Jeff & Terasvirta, Timo, 1994. "Testing the constancy of regression parameters against continuous structural change," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 211-228, June.
- Baragona, R. & Battaglia, F. & Cucina, D., 2004. "Fitting piecewise linear threshold autoregressive models by means of genetic algorithms," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 277-295, September.
- Carrasco, Marine, 2002. "Misspecified Structural Change, Threshold, and Markov-switching models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 239-273, August.
- Chatterjee, Sangit & Laudato, Matthew & Lynch, Lucy A., 1996. "Genetic algorithms and their statistical applications: an introduction," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 633-651, October.
- Francesco Battaglia & Mattheos Protopapas, 2009.
"Time-varying Multi-regime Models Fitting by Genetic Algorithms,"
- Francesco Battaglia & Mattheos K. Protopapas, 2011. "Time‐varying multi‐regime models fitting by genetic algorithms," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(3), pages 237-252, 05.
- Baragona, Roberto & Battaglia, Francesco & Calzini, Claudio, 2001. "Genetic algorithms for the identification of additive and innovation outliers in time series," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 1-12, July.
- Davis, Richard A. & Lee, Thomas C.M. & Rodriguez-Yam, Gabriel A., 2006. "Structural Break Estimation for Nonstationary Time Series Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 223-239, March.
- Wu, Berlin & Chang, Chih-Li, 2002. "Using genetic algorithms to parameters (d,r) estimation for threshold autoregressive models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 315-330, January.
- Claudio Pizzi & Francesca Parpinel, 2011. "Evolutionary computational approach in TAR model estimation," Working Papers 2011_26, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Roberto Baragona & Domenico Cucina, 2013. "Multivariate Self-Exciting Threshold Autoregressive Modeling by Genetic Algorithms," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 233(1), pages 3-21, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anil Khuman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.